Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Will Uhc Approve My Husband's Lap Band Surgery?

Discuss Lap Band Surgery

Postby Barth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 pm

My husband is 450+, on a CPAP, on blood pressure medication, he has edema in his legs, and he always gets bad boils and infections in his skin crevices.
He is supposed to do 6 months of Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or on online thing from the insurance company.
Do you think they will approve him without the 6 months of the special programs? We are also supposed to pay 20% of the cost.
Do you think we could get them to pay for the whole thing?
Barth

Postby Derik » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 pm

My sister was morbidly obese with adema...stop the carbs and poor diet right now. Salads with tuna, chicken or beef. Have him see a doctor ASAP!! No bread, mac and cheese, mayo, butter, notta bit of carbs...
Derik

Postby Andrey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 pm

~~Your provider would need to submit a report to the insurance with his objective findings to find out if they will preauthorize and what your share of cost will be. So we can't begin to tell you, just advise you to have the doctor work on it.~~
Andrey

Postby Hughie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:36 pm

No one here would know the answer.
Sorry.
You can call the insurance company and ask.

Good Luck.
You might want to post the name of the insurance company.
Hughie

Postby Jock » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 pm

No, they won't.

That's because all the lap band surgery does, is limit his caloric intake - the same thing Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, and all the other programs do out there, but a hell of a lot cheaper, with no surgical complications.

They won't pay for the whole thing.
If you guys don't want it badly enough to make the sacrifices to scrape up the money, to pay a mere 20% of the cost, then you don't want it badly enough.

Keep in mind, to be 450 pounds, his daily caloric intake must be around 6000 calories.
If you cut the grocery bill 75%, right now, by only purchasing SINGLE INGREDIENT FOODS, and put the savings in a separate account in the bank, not only will he have his 20%, but he'll likely have lost a significant amount of weight, in six months.
That "single ingredient" diet works WONDERS.
Jock

Postby Cory » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 pm

It's very doubtful that they will approve he lapband if he doesn't do the 6 month program.

In fact, they shouldn't!! LapBand only works if you are very strict with your diet, limiting your food intake -- if he continues to eat like before, he will end up in WORSE condition.
If he isn't strict about the diet before before the surgery, it's extermly doubtful he will follow through after the surgery.

And no, you can't get them to pay for the whole thing.
You have an 80/20 plan = they pay 80%, you pay 20%.
Cory

Postby Shea » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 pm

No, they will not approve him unless he makes a good faith effort to lose that weight via other means.
Your husband CAN lose that weight without lapband surgery, if he simply sticks to RIGID diet.
Very low fats, low sugars, vegetables and similar.
The insurer won't cough out the $30-$40K required for lap band surgery unless it determines that he cannot lose the weight via other means.
Get your husband on such a diet NOW.
Shea

Return to Lap Band Surgery