Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Will This Fitness Programme Be Effective?

General Weight Loss Program Discussion

Postby Heahweard » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:15 pm

I want to start running for both general fitness and general weight loss (I'm not really overweight or anything, i just need to lose some weight on my stomach and hips)..I have decided to follow this twice a week:

-5 minute walking warm up

and then

-60 second jog

-90 second walk

and repeat for 20 minutes....

And then 1-2 times a week, I plan to go to the gym and use the cross trainer/treadmill/upright bikes...

This is what I've been advised to do....Would you agree? Thanks!
Heahweard

Postby Darcell » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 pm

well i think u should try cardio exercise... steady for 20- 35 mins

u need it in the ranges of 30- 40 mins to burn fat
Darcell

Postby Arvon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:18 pm

The only thing i would change is the 60 second jog, instead make it a 15 second all out sprint, ive read that sprints are more effective. Other than that i think im gonna do the same thing! Good luck
Arvon

Postby Anynnawg » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:23 pm

If you're new to running, that is a good start. I'd repeat that session 3x and then try 2mins jog, 1min brisk walk for 20 mins. After 3 sessions, go up to 3 mins jog, 1 min walk etc....until you can run for 30 mins non stop. Speed is irrelevant - time on your feet , jogging , is what you should aim for.

From a 30 min base, then start doing some sprint / interval training....1 min faster than normal run, followed by 1 min v easy jog to recover. Repeat x6.

It is important to repeat each session 3x before you increase the time spent running. This helps your body adapt to an increasing workload while reducing the risk of injury.

Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes too!

As for the bike and x trainer, aim for hill or interval profiles and go for a brisk rpm/spm rather than loads of resistance ( ask the gym instructor - that's what they are there for!).

Include some large muscle group resistance work too, - particularly squats and lunges, press ups and reverse flys (your gym should have a chest press machine, lat pulldown and leg press if you don't like the idea of body weight exercises and free weights to start with).

And, lastly, make sure you have a good diet and watch what you eat. Diet contributes more to weight loss than exercise does, generally speaking.

Good luck.
Anynnawg

Return to Weight Loss Programs