Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Will Giving Up Chicken And Becoming Entirely Vegetarian Make You Lose Weight?

General Weight Loss Program Discussion

Postby Whitmore » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 pm

A vegetarian diet is not a weight loss program and nothing about it is "automatic".

the standard formula for fat/weight loss is still:

eat what you burn = loss or maintenance

eat more than what you burn, weight gain

eat less than what you burn, weight loss.

But any answer you get is here is anecdotal at best and may or may not work for you. If you really want to lose weight, engage the services of a nutritionist or a personal trainer. They can help you lose weight/body fat effectively and safely.
Whitmore

Postby Kohana » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Depends what you are currently eating. If you're eating skin-on chicken, you're probably taking in a fair bit more fat than if you're eating skin-off chicken. Eating skin-on now, you'll be consuming (probably) a fair bit less fat on a vegetarian diet. Eating skin-off now, you'll (probably) only be consuming a little less fat on a vegetarian diet. Basically, the less calories you take in, and the more you exercise, the more likely you are to lose weight.
Kohana

Postby Sucki » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Yes, maybe 10-20 lbs.
Sucki

Postby Jaydee » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:48 pm

If you eat avocados and nuts all day, no.
If you eat lots of veggies and good fats (like avocados and nuts) in reasonable portions, then yes probably.

Eggs and dairy hurt you and the environment and still causes suffering and death to animals.
Almond milk seems to be the yummiest and most calorie-wise milk-type thing and tofu can be made to be like eggs.

There are many other places to get your (complete) protein too, like: hemp seeds/hemp seed protein powder, quinoa, goji berries.
Some things are incomplete proteins but are made complete when combined, like beans and legumes, nuts, seeds, veggies, grains.
For example, hummus or lentil spread on pita.

Maybe try doing something fun for exercise like spinning poi or cycling to turn your body fat into muscle tissue instead! I hope this helps :) I just love my hemp seed protein powder in chocolate almond milk after dancing and biking. Have fun!
Jaydee

Postby Zani » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Its possible. But you have to take into consideration that its easy to switch meat products for unhealthy food. For a long time when i first went vegan whenever I'd go out to eat I'd get french fries because i couldn't eat chicken fingers or other meat. Trades like that will get you nice and fat.
Zani

Postby Muircheartaigh » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51 pm

No it won't. There are plenty of not skinny vegetarians, including myself.
Muircheartaigh

Postby Bitanig » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Ive been your hieght and wieght..for my entire adult life because I am a veg....my entire adult life. You sound anorexic because thats the perfect wieght for your hieght and even up to 127 would be fine..if youre concerned about fat ..tone up that muscle and cut dairy ..dairy makes you have that extra coat of bloat and hides the muscle
Bitanig

Postby Scannalan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:55 pm

I actually gave up beef except steaks and starting eating just chicken pork and veggies and I've lost weight or maintained my weight by doing this.
Scannalan

Postby Mead » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 am

No, vegetarianism is not a weight loss regime, nor is veganism. There are vegetarians and vegans of all shapes and sizes, from far too skinny to morbidly obese.

In the course of my life I have been (in this order) a meat eater, a vegetarian and a vegan. I have at different times lost and gained weight as all three. It depended on how healthily I was eating and, crucially, how much exercise I was taking.

You are a very healthy weight for your height - and you are in fact on the low side of average for that height.
Mead

Postby Calder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 am

um. since i've become a vegetarian.

i didn't lose anything.

but i also eat very unhealthy.

so i guess i wouldn't know.

but the real reason to become vegetarian is either meat discust you and or you hate the way it's put into stores.
Calder

Return to Weight Loss Programs