Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Why Is My Snake Best Friends With A Mouse?

Postby Lawley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 am

So I have had my snake since last June and I feed him a mouse once a month. 2 weeks ago I bought a mouse. The mouse is still there. They sleep together. Hang out together in the tank. And the mouse is chubby now. And he wasn't shedding either. Does anyone know why my snake haven't ate the mouse yet? Are they intelligent enough to be friends with a mouse? Lol

Postby Weddell » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:46 am

Try putting another mouse in there. If he doesn't eat that one either, he's just not hungry enough. Although if its been a while since he ate, you may want to check with a vet.

If he eats the new mouse, and still lets the old one hang around, then yes, they may have become friends.

Postby Renjiro » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am

I like Dion :)

Definitely not friends.
The snake is not feeding for whatever reason, in shed, temps are off, seasonal/breeding, etc...
It happens.
A healthy snake can go quite awhile without feeding with no problems.

But, as Dion said, somewhere along the line, something will happen.
Here are a few blogs about things that can happen when a live feeder is left in an enclosure with a snake... http://iherp.com/Public/Blog/Detail.aspx... http://iherp.com/Public/Blog/Detail.aspx...

Postby Hamlett » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:49 am

Could be a seasonal thing

Is it a ball python? They can go off food for months at a time. Sometimes to do with stress, shedding...

Other than that, I dont know sorry. Just be sure your mouse doesnt harm your snake, it sounds silly but can happen! Maybe take it out and put it back in in the morning.

Can I just say this has made my day, made me laugh and just so cute:')!!

Postby Atsidi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 am

Mouse Eats Snake

Postby Wordsworth » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:56 am

Firstly, You should not feed live rats/mice to snake due to the snake getting seriously injured or worse, die. I had a hopper mouse kill a baby ball python. Use pre-killed or frozen thawed. As far as the eating goes, I'd keep trying to feed every week and definitely NOT once a month. If the snake does not eat then try next week. You might want to try braining the mouse. (Meaning take a box cutter and make a slit into the head of the mouse) This might give enough to want to make the snake eat. After a while if the snake does not eat (pending on the snake) seek a vet. All in All, snakes and mice cannot live harmoniously like Tom and Jerry, while e coyote and road runner, etc.

Postby Avonaco » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:04 am

wow you guys are really mean spirited. Sometimes the snake is not hungry. No big deal. But to say it is a neglectful owner it is just jerky. You are a bunch of reptile elitists. Seriously not supportive. My snake is over 7 years old. I have had her since she hatched. On three different occasions in those 7 years she has decided for whatever reason not to eat her mouse. I do not feed her weekly and I never have. she eats when I see she is moving around and restless then I feed her.She has a huge habitat and she is about 5 ft long, totally healthy. Sometimes it happens. Just remove the mouse and try again later. It does not mean you are a bad owner. The rest of you need to get over yourselves and instead of being holier than everyone else be supportive. Jerks!

Postby Hugh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 am

The mouse bribed him lol Jk idk

Postby Tupac » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 am

They are not friends, and chances are the mouse is only further stressing out your snake and will only delay the length of time he refuses food for.
You need to do a little research before you get a pet.
And we need to know what kind of snake you have to help answer your question..

First off, you should NEVER leave live prey in with your snake.
This almost always results in injuries or death to the snake.
The mouse will eventually start chewing on the snake, and if the snake doesn't want to eat, it won't do anything about it.
The snake will literally be eaten alive.

Second, there's many reasons for a snake to go off feeding.
The enclosure may not be set up correctly (incorrect temps or humidity levels), the snake may sense that something is wrong with the mouse such as illness, the mouse may not be the right size, the snake could be stressed from over-handling, noise, or other things, or might just not be hungry.

And third, no snake should be fed once a month.
Your snake should be eating once a week, maybe biweekly at least.

Please either re-home your snake to someone who knows how to care for it, or do a little research on the animal in your care.

Postby Sucki » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:18 am

No, they are not friends. Snakes do not form friendships.

For some reason, the snake has not eaten the mouse.

And, for some reason, the mouse has not begun chewing on the snake, killing or injuring it.

Given time, one or the other will happen- perhaps both.

Just give it time.

After that, my advice is not to get any more pets that you are unwilling to care for properly.

Return to Eat to Live