Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Why Does My Weight Vary So Much?

General Weight Loss Program Discussion

Postby Telutci » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:53 am

I went from 8 stone 7 one day, to around 9 stone the next, and then around 8 stone the next day.. and i got on and off the scales multiple times to make sure.. i wasnt weighing at specific times of the day but even so, how could eating a meal make me gain almost a stone? I thought you had to eat 3,500 calories to gain a pound! someone tell my what's happening haha!
Telutci

Postby Torion » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:57 am

Water weight
Torion

Postby Kelleher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:01 am

Weight naturally fluctuates over the course of the day due to a number of variables, including food and liquids consumed, rate of perspiration, washroom breaks, etc.
Weight also varies over the course of the month due to hormonal factors, and nutritional factors.

Water alone weighs 1 gram per millilitre; drinking 2 cups of water (500ml) will add over a pound of weight to the scale.
Excessive intake of sodium will cause the body to retain water weight (to dilute the excess salt in the body), as well.
Digestion of food can take anywhere from 12-72 hours, depending on the individual and the type of food consumed, and the contents of the intestine can also play a part.

These variables can influence the number displayed on the scale, and it isn't uncommon for day-to-day weight to vary +/- 10 pounds.

While monitoring your weight is always a good thing to do, try to focus on longer term trends.
Most weight loss programs recommend weighing yourself once per week.
The key to obtaining a meaningful measurement lies in weiging yourself in a consistant manner, under consistant circumstances.
The best time to weigh oneself is in the morning, after voiding their bowels, but before consuming any food or liquid.
Most people will be at their lightest at that time, and at their heaviest by the end of the day.
Kelleher

Return to Weight Loss Programs