Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Why Can You Get An Abortion Without Parent Consent, But You Need It For Depression/bulimia Treatment?

Discuss Bulimia

Why Can You Get An Abortion Without Parent Consent, But You Need It For Depression/bulimia Treatment?

Postby Matoskah » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 am

Thats a good question.

I fel the same way... I absolutely cannot tell my parents that i have bulimia... Not because of the actual "telling them" but because of what would happen AFTER when they know about it.... Every meal, every time i go to the bathroom, every time i exercise. It would be so awkward
Matoskah

Postby Broderick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:50 am

their your parents they will understand. its going to be hard, but its better you get the treatment and suffer 5 minutes of embarrassment. talk to them, they will not judge you, they love you. and why wouldn't they trust you? the fact that you have enough courage to talk to them about this is great. good luck!
Broderick

Postby Burchard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:20 am

At over the age of 16 in Adelaide you do not need a parents consent. You can see your GP and ask for a referral, when choosing a GP make sure they are not against abortion as they will not refer you if they are. They will most likely refer you to Mary Stopes or a local hospital depending on how far along you are. At Mary Stopes or another abortion clinic you will need your medicare card and someone to drive you and bring you home, it doesn't need to be family just someone you know and trust. You will need the money at the apointment ($450 - $500 I think) and they will swipe your medicare card and a majority of the cost will be bulk billed to medicare. The charges will not show up on a statement if you ask them to not write what the bulk billing was for to medicare. If you cannot afford the abortion I am pretty sure they do some form of assistance but you will have to ask them. Just adding - abortion is legal up to 28 weeks (pretty sure at that point you need to face a medical board for a decision though) in Adelaide. Australia does not work on national laws for abortion each state has an individual law for it and Adelaides cut off is 28 weeks whereas other states may be 13 or even 24 weeks.
Burchard

Return to Bulimia