Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Whats The Difference Between Protein And Carbohydrates (for Diets)?

Depression making it hard to lose weight?

Postby Halfdan » Wed May 31, 2017 12:08 pm

When to for example to gain muscle weight?

Im trying to change my diet, because my weight is so low right now (5'5, 95ibs) which recently made me very fragile.I like the way I look, bodywise but I don't want to end up in a anorexia disorder due to low weight. :/

Anybody who is good at diets and fitness who can help me? About the food only.

Whats a good diet to gain weight (and to exercise to gain muscle weight)? Is protein or carbohydrate more important? (I know both are important for a healthy diet)

and no, I dont seek for the few weeks desperate diets. I don't mind if it take time to gain my weight goal (which is about 15-20 pounds), I just want to stop that my weight from getting lower. I've lost 10-20 pounds on 1½ years (because of alot of sickness and depressions).
Halfdan

Postby Divyendu » Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Carbs are for energy, protein is for muscle recovery and gain.

If you are underweight, they are both important. You want to increase your over all caloric intake in order to gain weight. So you want a good balanced diet with carbs, proteins, and fats.

Protein is very important for gaining muscle. You want to consume around 100+ grams of protein on the days you lift. Carbs are a good energy source but you only need higher amounts of those when you are doing more cardiovascular activity. If you are doing normal amounts of cardio, you don't need added carbs.

I would recommend a counter like myfitnesspal.com to help you keep track of proteins, carbs, and fats. You also want to make sure you are getting enough calories to gain weight.

-Connor
Divyendu

Postby Lemuel » Wed May 31, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi Lina,

In order to gain weight of ANY kind be it fat or muscle you must intake more calories per day than you expend. It takes some math to figure out how many calories per day you expend, as it is different for everyone and has many variables. The easiest way to get this number approximately is to find out how many calories you eat per day and don't gain or lose weight (equalization). This is how I found out how much I expend personally on average. If you don't know, and want a starting point, find out what your RMR (resting metabolic rate) is through online calculators and find out your "correction multiplier" which is a rough estimate number between about 1 and 2 x your RMR based upon how much you exercise. To give you an idea, the multiplier is 1.2 for almost no physical activity, and I personally have a number of about 1.45-1.5 and I do both heavy lifting and a little cardio (15 min a day). Protein and carbohydrates are both important from what I've seen though try to get carbs from fiber mostly, where possible, though don't go completely overboard (no more than ~70g fiber I think?). You (may) gain some fat with the muscle, can't be avoided usually, but as long as you intake mostly protein and decent food otherwise it will be more muscle than fat. But if you're lucky, you may actually burn fat too. It's hard to do that while building muscle, but not impossible.
Now you can still tone your muscles, without "gaining" much/any more, by not having excess calories but still getting enough protein/doing the workouts. I personally get 180g of protein a day. But I also have a fair amount of muscle and lift very heavy, you may not need this much.

You can make some significant gains by going insane with protein but I don't recommend it. You will get "fatty" muscles that may be good for show but aren't nearly as strong as they look. Bruce lee was one of the strongest men ever (if not the strongest) and he wasn't huge.
Lemuel

Return to Depression & Weight Loss