Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Whats Good Diet And Excercise For A Greyhound Which Is A Family House Pet?

Talk about anything related to losing weight

Postby Donne » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Most greyhounds can't be let off the lead to do "normal" dog activities like chasing balls - that said, even in our garden our greyhound will watch a ball or frisbee be thrown and then just stand there lol. We've bought him loads of "dog toys" and he doesn't respond to them at all.

The best exercise is a half hour walk (as already said), then he'll come home and sleep for hours :)

Foodwise, you need to be careful of the protein content, we buy ours from the local greyhound retirement centre - do an online search to see where your nearest centre is.
Donne

Postby Moray » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Obviously for a diet, just regular dog food is good! Perhaps sometimes give the dog some lamb or beef or something. But never give a dog too much 'human' food! When it comes down to exercise, for my dogs, I bought a ball launcher! Pretty much its a plastic stick with a cup the exact same size of a tennis ball at the end. You put a tennis ball in and fling it! It goes miles and my dogs have so much much fun chasing it! With your dog being a greyhound I can imagine it would be great to see just how quickly he/she can get running when you fling it! Here is a link for one!

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-ball-launcher-dog-toy-by-pets-at-home-24420

And remember! don't let your dog eat after exercise until it's calmed down! If a dog eats after it has been exercising then if can become ill, if this was to happen, just feed your dog boiled rice and chicken! It's plain and it prevents sickness from getting worse and dogs love it because it's 'human' food!
Moray

Postby Tassa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 pm

A quality kibble will be fine. Innova, Merrick, Solid Gold, or Wellness are all reliable brands.

Greyhounds need moderate exercise. A half hour to an hour walk or other activity should be fine. Greyhounds tend to have a short burst of energy during the day, but are otherwise very calm.
Tassa

Postby langleah » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Raw diet and exercise depends on the dog. Running is good if at all possible.
langleah

Postby Sinnoch » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Diet - raw food diet!

Exercise - depends on the dogs needs. Age and anything like arthritis? If your dog acts restless try more exercise and training/games.
Sinnoch

Return to General Weight Loss Chat