Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

What Is Your Opinion On Bariatric Surgery. Does The Risk Out Weight The Benefit?

Discuss Lap Band Surgery

What Is Your Opinion On Bariatric Surgery. Does The Risk Out Weight The Benefit?

Postby Gwyr » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:53 am

Unless you're morbidly obese, don't do it. There are much better healthy alternatives to weight loss. I would talk to a family doctor about other options first. I'd try hypnosis before I'd let them cut me.   dougiedognabit 40 months ago
Gwyr

Postby Burl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:57 pm

If she isn 't committed to a whole new life style, she could gain back all of the weight. I have two friends who had it done(years ago). Both are happy with the outcome, but there can be a lot of side effects at first. She needs to speak to a bariatric surgeon. They usually hold group meetings for questions.   pammyj 40 months ago
Burl

Postby Lou » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:10 pm

If I were the surgeon I would sew up the patent's mouth first.   Gary4books 40 months ago
Lou

Postby Jadon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:12 am

And leave room for a straw.   Gary4books 40 months ago
Jadon

Postby Crosleigh » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:14 am

I have mixed emotions about it. People with addictions other than food do not have to look at there addiction in the face everyday. I know she still has to change her way of life anyways when and if she opts for the surgery. I don't know. I'm not in her shoes and can have a harsh outlook as well. I guess it's her decision. I just hope it's the right one. Thanks for your help.   Blessedchild 40 months ago
Crosleigh

Postby Knocks » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 pm

I finally quit smoking for good but not until I detested cigs for making me feel bad. It's easier to change if you change your perspective about the addictive substance and its negative effects on your life.She has to make the first step but surgery is a cop-out in my book.   dougiedognabit 40 months ago
Knocks

Postby Truesdell » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:05 pm

You know my cousin got hit by a car and had to have his jaw wired shut. He had to drink from a straw. He wasn't over weight of course, but he did lose alot of weight afterwards that he really didn't have to lose. Have a good one!   Blessedchild 40 months ago
Truesdell

Postby Bren » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 pm

It helps YOUNGER people to live a better, longer life... and have fewer complications and problems as they age(less high BP, less diabetes, etc). I think for most people under 50 who have a BMI greater than 35 or 40, bariatric surgery is sometimes their only option. You have to go through psychiatric testing, etc. Many people are overweight not because they are ADDICTED to food but because their body doesn't know how to shut off the hunger switch. So, the bariatric surgery makes the hunger switch turn off very quickly. A lot of times they won't do the surgery if it's a true addiction to food - because the surgeons know it will not be successful long-term.Alissa, RN   AlisRN 40 months ago
Bren

Postby Costello » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 am

I don't agree with that exactly. Alcoholics, drug addicts all suffer physically sooner or later and it is reflected in the mirror too.Tobacco addiction may show a little less outwardly but it's there too even though obesity is hard to miss, I'll agree.   dougiedognabit 40 months ago
Costello

Postby Quany » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you for your answer. Even those that are morbidly obese, I wonder if it is still a good idea. The reason being, so many have a real addiction to food, much like the alcoholic to alcohol or an addiction to drugs. What if they don't address there addiction? Could it lead to other addictions? I agree there are other healthier alternatives. I think it should be use a a last resort. Someone I know is contemplating a gastric sleeve procedure and it concerns me. She has gained so much weight that she can't be as active and she needs to be active to help get the weight off. It's almost like she's stuck in a catch 22 since she's done this to herself. I just want her to have her health back. She use to be active and full of life. Now, she's 150 lbs overweight and hardly leaves her house. She's so embarassed about how she looks and now has to go have a stress test done. I'm really worried about her. Sorry for rambling. Thanks for listening.   Blessedchild 40 months ago
Quany

Next

Return to Lap Band Surgery