Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

What Is Wrong With My Health?

Depression making it hard to lose weight?

Postby Ahren » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:46 am

I will try to make this brief, though I do want to be as specific as possible. I have always been rather thin, but a little over a year ago my weight and health started to deteriorate rapidly. Before this started happening, I was a reasonable 135lbs (61kg) at 5 feet 11 inches. Within 2 months, for no obvious reason, I had dropped 25lbs to a weight of 110lbs (50kg). The sudden drop in weight was accompanied by chronic paleness, fatigue, depression, anxiety, weakness, coldness, nasal infection, spine/neck problems, muscle tightness, lack of dreams, and a general feeling of unwellness. I have maintained this weight and these symptoms for about a year now, despite a wide range of efforts to restore my health. I literally look like a skeleton. At first, I tried to eat more than I had been eating (I have always been a big eater), along with taking a multivitamin daily. After 3 weeks of this, I stepped on the scale only to see that I had lost 2 pounds. I decided to crank up the protein and fat by frequently eating steak, salmon, sardines, eggs, cheeses, nuts, and other foods of this nature. I've also cut out junk food and make sure to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables every day. I've been consuming at least 3000 calories daily, while aiming for around 3500-4000. This diet has been accompanied by an every-other-day exercise regimen. Despite having lived like this day-after-day for the past 11 months, my weight hasn't once gone above 115lbs (on a full stomach), and none of my symptoms have gone away. A few symptoms have even gotten worse. I have made many trips to many different doctors (physiologists, psychiatrists, immunologist, endocrinologist, chiropractor, psychologist), but, despite many blood/stool/urine tests, none of them have been able to identify the problem as anything other than a naturally fast metabolism, a product of my imagination, or anorexia-induced malnutrition (which is a silly suggestion). I have been prescribed a number of medications, none of which have remotely helped the issue. My doctors don't seem to show any level of concern, and give absolutely no helpful advice other than telling me to "eat healthier." Some have suggested the possibility of hypochondria, but I find this extremely erroneous, as 3000-4000 measured calories every day along with a tediously calculated full-spectrum nutritional plan should definitely be enough to cause at least some notable weight gain in the absence of an underlying pathology. This has been quite discouraging. I have recently stopped taking pharmaceuticals (within the past 3-4 months), as they weren't helping, and I've found that herbal teas and meditation work reasonably well for my psychological symptoms. On top of all this, my mom recently divorced my dad and is now living a long distance away, so I never get to see her. This, along with dealing with my dad's constant pessimistic and hostile attitude, has taken a severe toll on my mental health. I have also started the school year recently, which is extremely overwhelming for me. In addition, my 18th birthday is in a little over a week, after which I will need to get a job to help pay the bills. Though I tend to love life and all of its beauties, the accumulation of all of these negative factors has sent me into a complex depression. I am afraid that I will break down and do something drastic if my health stays like this for much longer (I really don't want that to happen). I would be more than appreciative of any advice from anyone, especially a possible diagnosis for my physical condition. Many thanks to anyone who found the time to read my admittedly long inquiry. :3
Ahren

Postby gino83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 am

It sounds like your gut is not absorbing what it needs to. Now that doesn't mean that you have some crazy intestinal condition. It means that the foods you eat and the toxins you have knowingly or unknowingly put into your body have made it function well below normal. If I were your chiropractor, I would suggest an elimination diet. That means no foods commonly associated with allergies. The 3 big ones are eggs, dairy, and red meat. You are probably thinking, "where will I get my nutrition from?" g

Great question! There are plenty of ways to get all the nutrition you need and more, yes more, from veggies, fruits, lean meats, and whole grains. If you would like more information on the elimination diet, google it or send me an email. And about your family try to weather the storm and look forward to the future.
gino83

Postby Ephram » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 am

Have you been checked looking for hyperthyroidism?? read the link
Ephram

Return to Depression & Weight Loss