Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

What Happens To The Colored F-centers In Alkali Halide Crystals When Dissolved In Water Or Other Solvents?

Discuss Food Addiction

What Happens To The Colored F-centers In Alkali Halide Crystals When Dissolved In Water Or Other Solvents?

Postby Emils » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Alkali halide crystals such as NaCl or KCl are irradiated with electrons or gamma rays or exposed to Alk metal vapor to create a high number of crystallographic defects or f-centers that are yellow or purple-ish. When these crystals are dissolved in water or another suitable solvent - does the resultant(fully saturated) solution appear colored too? or do the color centers simply vanish?
Emils

Postby Carolos » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:26 pm

karlc said: 1 The color is caused by crystallographic defects, yes? Well what happens to the defects, and the crystals, and in fact the NaCl molecules when you dissolve it in water? 57 months ago
Carolos

Postby Daylon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:37 pm

They just vanish. Matt0 57 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Daylon

Postby Duck-Hwan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:51 am

I can theorize as to what happens to the defects(-most likely they will disappear), however I'm looking for a definitive answer from(hopefully) someone who actually conducted experiments with these salts & may also provide some extra insight into the process.
Duck-Hwan

Postby Awst » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:39 pm

Philosia said: 2 I can theorize as to what happens to the defects(-most likely they will disappear), however I'm looking for a definitive answer from(hopefully) someone who actually conducted experiments with these salts & may also provide some extra insight into the process. 57 months ago
Awst

Postby Adal » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:59 am

The color is caused by crystallographic defects, yes? Well what happens to the defects, and the crystals, and in fact the NaCl molecules when you dissolve it in water?
Adal

Return to Compulsive Overeating