Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

What am I supposed to do about being paranoid in college?

Depression making it hard to lose weight?

Postby george » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:06 am

I'm 20 years old, and I was diagnosed with psychotic depression when I was 15. It changed to major depression after a few years but only because I don't mention the paranoia I get.

It comes and goes, it can be really intense to something small that I can ignore and let fade within a decent range of time.

I have a therapist and all that, so don't suggest that, and I will talk to him about this, but I just want to know what other people think.

I keep thinking that my professors are talking about me. What brought this on? Both of my professors for the day asked me how I was. It was small but I was pretty much having a panic attack over it because I became convinced that they were watching me and reporting to someone, which is often the conclusion for when I get paranoid like that. The worst is on the bus, because there I think that there are spies everywhere and they can read my mind.

It's all very real and scary until I do something to distract me, and that drags me back to reality and I can function for some time more until something triggers a paranoid thought. I know I'm of no importance to the government or anything.. But I keep thinking that I have some hidden superpower or something, and that's the only possible reason they'd want me. I'm not on medication but am seeing a therapist. I've been on meds many times before and I always end up gaining weight and being zombified. But I'm going to talk to my therapist about it again and see what he says.

I keep wanting to ask my professors when I get like that, like if they talk to anyone about me, but I don't want to be one of those crazy people that talk about paranoid stuff and just..looks out of it. I really don't. But I can't function in class when I get like that. I want to run away so no one can read my mind or think bad things about me. What am I supposed to do? Maybe I can excuse myself from class for a little bit and try to collect myself?

What do you think?
Thanks.

--
People have suggested that I may be schizophrenic before, I have an aunt that's schizophrenic, and I know genetics play a part in that illness, but I don't think that's what I have. It just doesn't make sense to me, this isn't bad enough to be something so serious, can paranoia be an illness in and of itself? Or is it always a symptom of something?
george

Postby corbyn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:07 am

Well I don't know much about mental illnesses, but my Aunt is schizophrenic too and one big symptom is the paranoia , BUT she would never ever admit that it may just be in her head. So I'm thinking you don't have what she has. I would def say talk to your therapist. And you have to try to not let those thoughts mess you up. You said focusing on other things help, so try to do that as much as you can. And try to be rational, these ppl prob aren't talking about you. And they can't read your mind. Find relaxation techniques and practice them to get yourself to calm down and really think about the situation.
corbyn

Postby briant » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:19 am

Well I don't know much about mental illnesses, but my Aunt is schizophrenic too and one big symptom is the paranoia , BUT she would never ever admit that it may just be in her head. So I'm thinking you don't have what she has. I would def say talk to your therapist. And you have to try to not let those thoughts mess you up. You said focusing on other things help, so try to do that as much as you can. And try to be rational, these ppl prob aren't talking about you. And they can't read your mind. Find relaxation techniques and practice them to get yourself to calm down and really think about the situation.
I think you should definitely look into medication, that's no way to live your life. Honestly I think you do have something along the lines of schizophrenia, but you should probably be seeing a psychiatrist rather than a straight therapist, and I'm pretty sure he's doing the wrong thing by not referring you to one immediately. There are lots of medication out there, all affecting brain chemistry slightly differently, if one doesn't work don't be scared to ask for something different... good luck dude, Liam.
briant

Postby ashby29 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:37 am

check for diabetes, avoid sugar.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1887272/does_hypoglycemia_and_low_blood_sugar.html
eat whole grains, they’ll help keep your blood sugar stable.
ashby29

Return to Depression & Weight Loss