Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Weightwatchers, Working Out, Cycling, Scale Not Moving?

Postby Xylon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:35 am

I am 42, 5'10 and weigh about 220. My body fat is around 18-20%. I've always worked out but I've been going to a new gym for almost a year now and I've found that cycling classes are the one thing I really like to do. I also have a road bike that I use to do recovery rides a few days per week.

I joined Weight Watchers (WW) in May to try and lose some weight for a cruise this fall. Up until I joined WW, I never really minded the scale. However, in 4 weeks at WW, I've only lost 5.6 pounds. This past week I cut out all alcohol consumption and took a cycling class every day. My weight loss was "0". I find this very confusing and frustrating!

I have had success in the past with diets such as South Beach--which tend to encouage more protein consumption than does WW (protein is higher in points). I need the discpline of the scale to stick with the program; however, I'm afraid the WW diet isn't giving me enough calories or something.WW relies on the BMI, which we all know ignores lean muscle weight--but they say I need to lose about 50 pounds to "make goal" at this pace I'll make goal when I turn 150.

Is there a diet out there or recommended ratio of protein, carb, and fat that works better for people who do a lot of cycling (I also do weight training)?
Xylon

Postby Wacuman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 am

sure it absolutely does paintings if you happen to stick with the plan. I misplaced 34lb in five months and feature stored it off for eight months. The plan could be very convenient to comply with however I do advocate that you just keep to the conferences wherein you'll be able to get recommendation and likewise aid from different contributors. When you keep for conferences each and every member spurs you on and will provide you recommendations that you just had no longer concept of. You have got to relatively desire to lose the load to obtain. If you cheat you're most effective dishonest your self. Tracking your facets additionally could be very main. The announcing is drink it, Ink it and chunk it write it. Track the whole lot. Hope this is helping and well good fortune you'll be able to obtain your target.
Wacuman

Postby Aren » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 am

I agree with Sno F, it takes more than 1 week to see results. Also, since you have been starting exercise regularly, you could be gaining a little weight in muscles and losing fat at the same time. In my experience, one month I was training for more power sprints in cycling and I found I gained a little weight even though my performance improved and waistline a little slimmer.

For cycling, you actually need some carbs in order to do longer rides (longer than 1-2 hours). In my opinion, the WW diet may be good for days when you're not working out, or doing light workouts. On days when you have a long ride, you would need more carbs to fuel yourself to burn more calories.
Aren

Postby Lawford » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 am

As you already know, weight control is largely dependent on maintaining a calory deficiency. If we do that, we'll lose weight. If we don't, we won't.

You seem to be concerned about losing muscle mass. To minimize that with a good workout routine, up your protein intake and decrease your carb intake. If you don't want to do it with meat/eggs, drink a protein supplement each day.

You should be limiting your cal intake to about 2000/day with the exercise. It really is all about calories and exercise.
Lawford

Postby Norwyn » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:41 am

it takes more than week to burn enough to see a change. also you may need to get into doing longer mid intensity sessions to burn the hard fat that everyone has. it also depends on frame size as to how much you need to loose. 18% aint to bad. the further you get down the fat % scale the harder it is to loose. i would consult with a sports clinic nutritionist. i've never been one for diets, just eat right and exercises. at peak years of training b-fat % was -10% now i sit around 15%.
Norwyn

Postby Kye » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:45 am

Just reduce your intake it is very easy to out eat any calories you burn by ridding the bike.
I have the same problem and end up drinking beer, eating a whole carton of ice cream, jar of peanut butter, a can of mixed nuts, or a box of party mix from the Dollar store.
The good news is I haven't gained any but I still need to lose.

I do eat good otherwise, I like skinless chicken breast and a baked potato with nothing on it.
Apples and banana's on rides.
I do stay away from fast food.
I do a lot of eating when I am not hungary so I try to eat hot air popcorn when I get the munchies.

You just have to stick with it.
Kye

Return to South Beach Diet