Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Weight Loss/food/workout Questions And Concerns?

General Weight Loss Program Discussion

Postby Arvon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Please only answer if you know what you're talking about. I'm a 5'3, 30 year old female. I had been in really good shape about a year ago I worked about 1.5 every day on my Weslo 610 Elliptical, ate around 800 calories during the week, ate whatever I wanted on the weekends-but also increased by workouts to around 2.5 hours. I felt good, looked pretty good. After a bad break-up w/ a cheating fiancee I got severly depressed & started eating everything in sight, and stopped working out completely. As a result, I gained about 30 pounds. A few months ago, I realized how horrible I looked and cared enough to want to change it so went to work on losing the weight. I've lost it but-and this is the part that's alarming me-I actually thought I'd weigh less. And here's why: the weslo broke, so I've been using a Gold's Gym StrideTrainer which seems to give a much different workout and I've been on it for 2.5-3 hrs. a day, going thru it's 6 different programs. I'm eating around 600 calories a day. So I'm exercising more and eating less and sticking to this even on the weekends-no having a "free day" or two like before. Yet I weighed a few pounds less before, even with exercising a bit less and eating more on the weekends. I thought I'd have a little leeway room so I could ease up a little and maybe go back to eating a little more indulgently on the weekends, but I've worked out this hard and am barely making my weight loss goal and would prefer to be a couple pounds less actually. Why is this happening? Please help.
Arvon

Postby ezrah » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:08 pm

You should NOT be eating 600-800 calories a day. Women should eat at least 1200, because if you don't, your body will think that you're starving it.
ezrah

Postby aramis » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:15 pm

It's happening because of your previous 800 calorie diet - and as soon as you stopped (sorry about the reason) the result was weight gain.
Because of getting too few calories your body learned to manage on less (self preservation), so as soon as you give it more fuel - the weight goes on.

You are making a bigger mistake now - 600 calories is ridiculously low, never mind the 'free days'.
You are lucky to bemaking any more weight loss at all.

It sounds like anorexic behaviour and you are storing up health problems.
Eat too little and your body will use muscle as well as fat to keep vital organs functioning.
Your heart is made of muscle.
It can suffer irreparable damage.

Please go and talk to your doctor, talk honestly about your calorie restrictions and exercise schedule.

We lost a member of our family with similar problems.
She wasn't even underweight when she died.
It was a long time ago, I still think of her every day.
aramis

Return to Weight Loss Programs