Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Weight Issues

General Weight Loss Program Discussion

Weight Issues

Postby Baylen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 am

I am 5'8 and 260lbs.... I have tried excersize(I get bored easily) I love to dance, but hate jazzersize, I eat pretty healthy(for a southern gal) and I would rather climb a mountain or go for a walk than watch tv anytime... but I cant seem to get the weight off... I dont drink soda's I love water, I try to eat 5 or 6 small meals(an apple, some nuts or berries and a huge glass of water) I like baked and grilled foods better than fried most of the time(however, potatoes are a huge weekness for me). I need help, do any of those "weight loss" pills work?
Baylen

Weight Issues

Postby Ardleigh » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Substitute bicycling/walking for driving. See dietician/nutritionist & substitute foods. See details: Substitute bicycling/walking for driving.See dietician/nutritionist & substitute foods.See details:There is no "magic pill".Most will help short-term(many either reduce water retention or artificially stimulate),but create greater health problems long term.Your body burns some calories each day no matter what.Exercise burns more calories.The ONLY way to lose weight long term,is to consume fewer calories than you burn.It is important to have proper nutrition(minerals, vitamins, ...)when you are dieting or substituting foods.So see a dietician/nutritionist.Try to incorporate "exercise" in your daily activities.Substitute bicycling/walking when you can for driving.Always wear a helmet or other appropriate safety gear.You need to journal your progress(both failure and success):- measure and journal your weight daily- keep a food journal or what you have and how much- journal your exercise activities- measure accurately when you can, at least estimate other timesWhen you feel hungry,drink some water and wait a little while(15-30 minutes?).If you still feel hungry,then eat the quantity and type of food prescribed by the dietician/nutritionist.Exercise within a few hours after eating. Sources: My personal experience and professional opinion. LeheckaG 92 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Ardleigh

Weight Issues

Postby Henri » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Consult a nutritionist Weight loss pills are a waste of money and they don't teach you how to eat so that you can continue to keep weight off. A nutritionist can help you identify issues that might be contributing to the weight and give you suggestions for how to change your habits(e.g. smaller portions, five small, balanced meals per day, etc.) You might also consider working with a personal trainer(or at least having an initial session with one), to identify ways to help you lose weight during a workout. You should also have your thyroid checked; sometimes thyroid issues can contribute to weight gain. Your age can also contribute to the difficulty in losing weight; as we get older it's harder to do so.   trekmuse 92 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Henri

Weight Issues

Postby Cuarto » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:54 am

After I had my son I had trouble taking the baby weight off. Being an older mom(37 when I had him), I was also facing the beginnings of a rapidly slowing metabolism. I tried everything that I?d done to stay in shape before I?d gotten pregnant, but it just didn?t work the same way that it had. I watched what I was eating, I changed what I was eating, I tried going macrobiotic, I went on The Atkins Diet, I ran, I walked, I sweated profusely on the eliptical trainer... and yet, I remained plumper than I?d ever been and lumpier than I wished to be.     I was so bummed when the research I did turned up the same information time and time again. Building muscle burns fat. Weight training was key. What I was doing was primarily cardio, which had never failed me before, but it just wasn?t cutting it. I hated the thought of spending time in a gym. Weight-lifting in a stuffy gym seemed boring and tortuous and like such a sell-out (running along the coast had always been my exercise of choice before). But let me tell you...! Within a few weeks I could feel and see a difference. Within 6 weeks I was feeling and looking good! In 3 months I went from a size 12 to a size 6! 3 sizes in 3 months! And no, I wasn?t there everyday, either.   This is pretty much what I did: At least 20 minutes of cardio per day, 5 day/week. This usually consisted of a combo walk/jog or some time on the eliptical trainer. Often I did more than 20 minutes, but I knew I?d feel best with a baseline of some sort and found 20 minutes to be safe and doable. At least 20 minutes of weight training 3 days/week. This consisted of back, biceps, and abs one day; shoulders, legs and abs one day; Chest, triceps, and abs one day. Because of my work schedule, the days were spread out: Monday, Thursday, Sunday, usually. Some weeks I?d miss a day or add an extra day. Again, I?d usually lift for longer than 20 minutes, but knew that somedays I?d have to drag myself to the gym and 20 minutes is not a scary, exhausting amount of time to get through ever. As far as diet is concerned, I do best when I keep my sugar and white flour consumption to a minimum since those then to make me want to binge. While I lost the bulk of my weight I was on a "modified" Atkins and usually ate protein, vegetables, and some fruits(berries and apples), but very rarely any starchy carbs(maybe only 2x week). You?re a step ahead if you already like drinking water, since that can be a problem for some people.   I wish you the best of luck. It can be done. Don?t be intimidated by all the "in-shape" people at the gym. They?re rooting for you, don?t worry. And they?re also just worried about their own programs. If you don?t feel like going to a gym(just remember that you?re passing up the chance to use thousands of dollars worth of professional equipment), I?ve listed a few videos that I?ve used when I just couldn?t make it out of the house. I?ve also listed several books that I?ve found helpful.   Best of luck to you!   Here are some books that I?ve found helpful        
Cuarto

Weight Issues

Postby Lapidos » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:52 pm

Weight loss pills are a waste of money and they don't teach you how to eat so that you can continue to keep weight off. A nutritionist can help you identify issues that might be contributing to the weight and give you suggestions for how to change your habits(e.g. smaller portions, five small, balanced meals per day, etc.) You might also consider working with a personal trainer(or at least having an initial session with one), to identify ways to help you lose weight during a workout. You should also have your thyroid checked; sometimes thyroid issues can contribute to weight gain. Your age can also contribute to the difficulty in losing weight; as we get older it's harder to do so.  
Lapidos

Weight Issues

Postby Dewain » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:43 am

Weight training(to add muscle) will do the trick! After I had my son I had trouble taking the baby weight off. Being an older mom(37 when I had him), I was also facing the beginnings of a rapidly slowing metabolism. I tried everything that I?d done to stay in shape before I?d gotten pregnant, but it just didn?t work the same way that it had. I watched what I was eating, I changed what I was eating, I tried going macrobiotic, I went on The Atkins Diet, I ran, I walked, I sweated profusely on the eliptical trainer... and yet, I remained plumper than I?d ever been and lumpier than I wished to be.     I was so bummed when the research I did turned up the same information time and time again. Building muscle burns fat. Weight training was key. What I was doing was primarily cardio, which had never failed me before, but it just wasn?t cutting it. I hated the thought of spending time in a gym. Weight-lifting in a stuffy gym seemed boring and tortuous and like such a sell-out (running along the coast had always been my exercise of choice before). But let me tell you...! Within a few weeks I could feel and see a difference. Within 6 weeks I was feeling and looking good! In 3 months I went from a size 12 to a size 6! 3 sizes in 3 months! And no, I wasn?t there everyday, either.   This is pretty much what I did: At least 20 minutes of cardio per day, 5 day/week. This usually consisted of a combo walk/jog or some time on the eliptical trainer. Often I did more than 20 minutes, but I knew I?d feel best with a baseline of some sort and found 20 minutes to be safe and doable. At least 20 minutes of weight training 3 days/week. This consisted of back, biceps, and abs one day; shoulders, legs and abs one day; Chest, triceps, and abs one day. Because of my work schedule, the days were spread out: Monday, Thursday, Sunday, usually. Some weeks I?d miss a day or add an extra day. Again, I?d usually lift for longer than 20 minutes, but knew that somedays I?d have to drag myself to the gym and 20 minutes is not a scary, exhausting amount of time to get through ever. As far as diet is concerned, I do best when I keep my sugar and white flour consumption to a minimum since those then to make me want to binge. While I lost the bulk of my weight I was on a "modified" Atkins and usually ate protein, vegetables, and some fruits(berries and apples), but very rarely any starchy carbs(maybe only 2x week). You?re a step ahead if you already like drinking water, since that can be a problem for some people.   I wish you the best of luck. It can be done. Don?t be intimidated by all the "in-shape" people at the gym. They?re rooting for you, don?t worry. And they?re also just worried about their own programs. If you don?t feel like going to a gym(just remember that you?re passing up the chance to use thousands of dollars worth of professional equipment), I?ve listed a few videos that I?ve used when I just couldn?t make it out of the house. I?ve also listed several books that I?ve found helpful.   Best of luck to you!   Here are some books that I?ve found helpful         Sources: Personal experience with my own weight loss; worked 5 years as personal trainer(about 13 years ago).   McBean's Recommendations Definition: Shape Without Bulk in 15 Minutes a Day Amazon List Price: $15.95 Used from: $0.01 Average Customer Rating: 5.0 out of 5(based on 21 reviews) Karen Voight: Great Weighted Workout Amazon List Price: $9.99 Used from: $4.59 Average Customer Rating: 4.5 out of 5(based on 19 reviews) The Firm: Total Body - Body Sculpting Basics Amazon List Price: $14.98 Used from: $8.00 Average Customer Rating: 4.5 out of 5(based on 138 reviews) Body for Life for Women Amazon List Price: $19.98 Used from: $12.93 Average Customer Rating: 5.0 out of 5(based on 4 reviews) Body For Life, by Phillips/D'Orso Amazon List Price: $26.95 Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, Revised Edition Amazon List Price: $24.95 Used from: $2.80 Average Customer Rating: 4.0 out of 5(based on 1309 reviews) Try this book first. For a light weight workout at home, her pyramid sets work wonders! McBean 92 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Dewain

Weight Issues

Postby Ysgawyn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:49 am

... like making you drop your fluid content, but you will replace that. The same for other things. First why 5 or 6 ?small? meals a day? Three is quite enough for any adult - breakfast, lunch, dinner/supper(whatever name you prefer). If you must nibble on something in between times(and why do that?) then eat an apple, pear or orange. These are big enough and require enough chewing to keep you occupied. They also have a low calorie and relatively high fibre contents. But reducing your fat intake is necessary - fatsand fatty foods have 9kcal/gram, while proteins and carb.s have 5 kcal/gram. Nuts have a high fat content. How do you eat your potatoes? With butter, mayonnaise? You may well find hidden calories in more of what you eat than you think. But losing weight is a matter of burning off those excess calories, not just stopping eating more of them. You are going to have to be discplined, fairly strict with yourself, and honest about what youdo(or don?t) do. Fat only starts to burn off after about 40 minutes of what feels like hard work, you hear beat slightly raised, sweating a bit. So you should exert yourself for about an hour a day, at least three times az week and preferably every day. My prefernce is to get up a bit earlier and go for a jog. If jogging is beyond you, walk fast, break into a jog for a bit, then walk fast again. You should find thatthe jog time becomes more, the walk time less, and you might even try running a bit. But use decent trainers to protect your legs - the kness particularly, and your feet. Do stretches before and after to warm up and cool down so you don?t damage yourself. Enjoy the changes in the weather - wear a baseball cap to keep off the rain or sun, for instance, or leggings, gloves and ear warmers when it?s cold. Have a ball ^_^ One pound of body fat is the equivalent of about 3000 kcal. Now here I am going to point you to a web-site with a smart energy expediture calculator, as I am not sure on my memory regarding the numbers involved for exercise to burn off calories:http://www.uth.tmc.edu/courses/nutrition-module/section4/energy.html This page also has a fair amount of seemingly useful information on weight and exercise, and the following page is also sensible: http://www.uth.tmc.edu/courses/nutrition-module/section4/howmuch.html
Ysgawyn

Weight Issues

Postby Spangler » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:31 am

Substitute bicycling/walking for driving.See dietician/nutritionist & substitute foods.See details:There is no "magic pill".Most will help short-term(many either reduce water retention or artificially stimulate),but create greater health problems long term.Your body burns some calories each day no matter what.Exercise burns more calories.The ONLY way to lose weight long term,is to consume fewer calories than you burn.It is important to have proper nutrition(minerals, vitamins, ...)when you are dieting or substituting foods.So see a dietician/nutritionist.Try to incorporate "exercise" in your daily activities.Substitute bicycling/walking when you can for driving.Always wear a helmet or other appropriate safety gear.You need to journal your progress(both failure and success):- measure and journal your weight daily- keep a food journal or what you have and how much- journal your exercise activities- measure accurately when you can, at least estimate other timesWhen you feel hungry,drink some water and wait a little while(15-30 minutes?).If you still feel hungry,then eat the quantity and type of food prescribed by the dietician/nutritionist.Exercise within a few hours after eating.
Spangler

Weight Issues

Postby Halsig » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:28 pm

diet pills or other things *might* work but only temporarily ... ... like making you drop your fluid content, but you will replace that. The same for other things. First why 5 or 6 ?small? meals a day? Three is quite enough for any adult - breakfast, lunch, dinner/supper(whatever name you prefer). If you must nibble on something in between times(and why do that?) then eat an apple, pear or orange. These are big enough and require enough chewing to keep you occupied. They also have a low calorie and relatively high fibre contents. But reducing your fat intake is necessary - fatsand fatty foods have 9kcal/gram, while proteins and carb.s have 5 kcal/gram. Nuts have a high fat content. How do you eat your potatoes? With butter, mayonnaise? You may well find hidden calories in more of what you eat than you think. But losing weight is a matter of burning off those excess calories, not just stopping eating more of them. You are going to have to be discplined, fairly strict with yourself, and honest about what youdo(or don?t) do. Fat only starts to burn off after about 40 minutes of what feels like hard work, you hear beat slightly raised, sweating a bit. So you should exert yourself for about an hour a day, at least three times az week and preferably every day. My prefernce is to get up a bit earlier and go for a jog. If jogging is beyond you, walk fast, break into a jog for a bit, then walk fast again. You should find thatthe jog time becomes more, the walk time less, and you might even try running a bit. But use decent trainers to protect your legs - the kness particularly, and your feet. Do stretches before and after to warm up and cool down so you don?t damage yourself. Enjoy the changes in the weather - wear a baseball cap to keep off the rain or sun, for instance, or leggings, gloves and ear warmers when it?s cold. Have a ball ^_^ One pound of body fat is the equivalent of about 3000 kcal. Now here I am going to point you to a web-site with a smart energy expediture calculator, as I am not sure on my memory regarding the numbers involved for exercise to burn off calories:http://www.uth.tmc.edu/courses/nutrition-module/section4/energy.html This page also has a fair amount of seemingly useful information on weight and exercise, and the following page is also sensible: http://www.uth.tmc.edu/courses/nutrition-module/section4/howmuch.html Sources: googling - www.uth.tmc.edu, personal experience   salamanda's Recommendations Stretching: 20th Anniversary(Stretching) Amazon List Price: $16.95 Used from: $9.09 Average Customer Rating: 4.5 out of 5(based on 70 reviews) The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution: The Slow Motion Exercise That Will Change Your Body in 30 Minutes a Week Amazon List Price: $22.95 Used from: $13.43 Average Customer Rating: 4.0 out of 5(based on 80 reviews) Bob Anderson's book is useful, sensible and practical - I have a copy myself that I _do_ use. The other book just looked interesting ^_^ salamanda 92 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Halsig

Weight Issues

Postby Delane » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:17 am

Become a vegetarian I am guessing you want a real answer and not a sugar coated one - so I can get some coins :)   So here is the real answer:   I have NEVER seen a large vegetarian.   My advice: buy a magic bullet and start making fruit smoothies in the morning.   Get a juicer and start drinking juiced veggies in the late afternoon. Recipe 1: 3 leaves of kale, 3 leaves of swish chard, large handfull of chopped and washed spinach, 3 regular sized carrots, 2 to 4 tomatoes, 1 clove garlic. Your very own and fresh v-8 Recipe 2: 3 leaves kale, 2 cored apples(can't taste the kale in this one) - good for kids!!   Stop eating refined foods: ie- sugar and flour   The money it costs to buy the magic bullet and juicer - will be saved ten fold from the money you will now save by not buying high priced processed food and/or diet pills that are expensive AND full of toxins that will has the potential of causing some other health related problem that could cost you money.   Cheers.       tahdonna 92 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Delane

Next

Return to Weight Loss Programs