Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Think I Have An Underactive Thyroid And Lump On The Right Side Of My Neck!! Help!!!?

Think I Have An Underactive Thyroid And Lump On The Right Side Of My Neck!! Help!!!?

Postby Glen » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:05 am

Ok so a little while ago I thought I was diabetic because of weight gain, tiredness etc.

I have managed to rule that one out.

I was having a chat with my mum about a lump on the right side of my neck which came up about 3 days ago, the best way I can describe it is where the collar bone ends and meet the shoulder about 3 inches up from there. It doesn't really hurt and it about the size of a 10p. ANY IDEAS???

She the said she had though I might have thyroid problems...

My symptoms include:

I am forever cold and it takes me ages to warm up.

I can't seem to lose any weight even though I do Weight watchers and exercise.

I put on weight sooo easily as well.

I am constantly tired/fatigued and by 1pm I can't keep my eyes open even though I sleep for 8 hrs a night.

I constantly have aches and pains.

My hair is thinning and my nails break really easily.

I am only 19 and I am really worried!! Please can anyone tell me if the two are linked and if not can someone please just give me some answers? I have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment to see my GP, so any answers will be good.

Thanks.
Glen

Postby Mandel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:06 am

You sound like "textbook" hypothyroidism. The lump is more of a concern if it is on your thyroid. Are you sure you have to wait two weeks to see a doctor? If that lump changes in size or if you feel you can't swallow properly, you need immediate medical attention.

Having hypothyroidism isn't too bad, you just have to have regular blood tests to check your levels and take a thyroid supplement for while vet your thyroid isn't producing enough hormones.
Mandel

Postby Corran » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:56 am

It could possibly be a thyroid issue. Of course, only your doctor will be able to confirm this.

I had a lump the size of a kiwi removed along with part of my thyroid -- not a big deal. Really...

Get it checked out.

Best wishes...
Corran

Postby Evelyn » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:49 pm

I think you may be a little over anxious.
If you were diabetic then you would lose a lot of weight not gain it.
Some of the symptoms you mention could indicate thyroid disease but the lump you have found is not located where the thyroid gland is.
The only way to tell is to see the doctor and have investigations into any possible thyroid dysfunction.
The lump may just be a cyst which can be left or easily removed.

Ring the GP and see if you can get an earlier appointment...say you are really worried and need ot see someone quickly.

Good luck and keep calm
Evelyn

Return to Weight Watchers Diet