Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Raw Dog Food Diet. Tips, Suggestions, And Recommendations?

Learn about Food Nutrition

Postby Didier » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 am

I was unsure about a raw food diet at first for my 4 month old dpg (Alaskan Klee Kai), but after getting a few samples of Stella & Chewys Beef she's become really addicted to it. So I bought a 6lb bag.

For breakfast I've been feeding her the rest of the Blue Buffalo Wilderness cans I have and Taste of the Wild kibble. And for dinner I've been mixing a raw patty and a handful of Taste of the Wild.

Is it a good idea to mix kibble and raw dog food beef together? The person giving the samples away said no and that I should feed her 3 patties twice a day :\ but I was pretty sure she was just saying that just to get me to by more..
(I know chicken and kibbles are not good to mix)

Also, I've heard a lot of people who feed their dogs a raw food diet will at times buy discounted/scrap meat at the grocery store and have the butcher ground it up for them. Any good recipe books to prepare the meat for dog consumption? (I want to avoid all poultry type recipes)

Also, pre-prepared Raw Dog food patties can be pricey. Any good brands that sort of meet in the middle in terms of quality and price?
Didier

Postby Chann » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:35 am

You are on the right track!

Commercial dog food, like kibble, is a complete and balanced diet.
And a raw diet for dogs is exactly what your pooch is craving.

So, bottom line is that you are giving her what her doggie instincts are craving, and ensuring that she gets the vitamins and minerals she needs to grow strong and stay healthy with the kibble.

Just be certain to read the label on the kibble to be sure that it contains only good ingredients.
You can read more about what ingredients are good, and what to avoid in dog food with this link...
http://www.top-dog-food.com/dog-food-ingredients.html

Your dog needs to exercise her teeth and gums, and kibble is helping out here.
If you decide to go for an all raw dog food diet, be certain to add raw meaty bones.
Raw meaty bones provide calcium and chewing activity for her.

It's so good that you are taking the time to take good care of your furry friend!

Smiles,

Betty
Chann

Postby Dong-Yul » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:39 am

Yes, if you do it correctly. I don't agree with the prey model diet. However, I'm not an expert. It's important for you to do research and read some reputable books before you start. There are also some yahoo groups for raw feeders where you can get more information. Since I started feeding my dogs a raw diet they have improved. They are happier, healthier, and have more energy. You need to give it some time. Sometimes dogs will itch more at first after switching because they are going through detox. Dogs who are not fed a raw diet correctly can become very ill. If you aren't going to feed bones then you need bone meal. Dogs require a lot of calcium and protein in their diet.
Dong-Yul

Postby Dedrick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am

I URGE you to go to www.dogwise.com (Dogwise) and to get some books on feeding raw diets and how to make your own that is nutritionally complete for your dog.
Dedrick

Postby Maurio » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

Have you ever used Eating for Energy (120 raw food diet recipes) method? Move on this site : http://StayEatingRaw.com/DIY . This can extremely benefit one and all!
Maurio

Return to Food Nutrition