Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Please Can U Help Me With My Debate?

Postby Aldan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 pm

In a debate, an easy approach is always to start with a nice introduction to get people into your speech, and then an explanation of how you are going to prove your point. So, do your intro, state your side of the debate, explain what you understand under the topic, and then state 2 - 4 good arguments. Then end off with a rhetorical question. Tried and tested standard formula.

Then explain the arguments, one at a time, with facts and statistics from reliable sources to prove it.

So. For the intro, find a story on Google about a child who drowned because they didn't know how to swim.

Then say:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that all children have the right to learn how to swim. Schools should provide this skill in the form of swimming classes. I'll prove my point with the help of two arguments. Firstly, that drowning is a big problem, and should be prevented with swimming lessons. Secondly, that swimming lessons is a safe and easy way to prevent obesity.

According to The Center For Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects). Among children 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death, only behind motor vehicle crashes. Road accidents are the responsibility of parents. But children can be taught how to swim to prevent drowning. According to the World Health Organization, teaching kids to swim is one of the best ways to make sure that less of our children die in the water every year.

Preventing kids from drowning In the USA, 45% of drowning deaths are among the most economically active segment of the population. That means that we lose many of our strongest labour force to drowning each year. Coastal drowning in the USA alone accounts for US$ 273 million each year in direct and indirect costs, another financial loss for our country. This is money that could have been used to teach kids to swim.

Then on to my second argument. According to the CDC, In 2010, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese. Children and adolescents who are obese are likely to be obese as adults and are therefore more at risk for adult health problems such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis. Overweight and obesity are associated with increased risk for many types of cancer, including cancer of the breast, colon, endometrium, esophagus, kidney, pancreas, gall bladder, thyroid, ovary, cervix, and prostate, as well as multiple myeloma and Hodgkin?s lymphoma.

The CDC also calls schools one of the main culprits in child obesity. They argue that a healthy lifestyle need to be implemented in school life, where children learn many life skills and habits.

Now, according to Livestrong.com, research shows that casual swimming can burn up to 400 calories per half an hour, while more intense training burns up to 950. Swimming is a great way to stay fit, with little risk of mechanical injury. It works out most of the muscles in the body and if started from a young age, is a sure way to prevent obesity in children. This will, naturally then, improve kids' body image and confidence.

So if saving lives wasn't enough, I've just proved that swimming will also help solve a big social problem we have in America, and around the world.

Would you rather teach kids to swim, or watch them die of heart attacks 40 years later? This is now to say if they even survived the dangers that a pool or an ocean can present to a child that doesn't know how to swim."

Here is a FANTASTIC link with some more facts you can use:

http://www.poseidon-tech.com/us/statistics.html
Aldan

Postby Bidziil » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Just talk about all the benefits eg: learning to swim will teach kids how to save themselves and you could say kids alive do the 5!
Bidziil

Postby Gaukroger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 pm

You should start with attractive words. After that you will provide advantages of swimming like how it's helpful during flood.
Gaukroger

Return to Body Image and Self Esteem