Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Partners/ Spouses Of Lap Band Surgery Patients?

Discuss Lap Band Surgery

Postby Anschel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:16 am

Hi All,

My husband wants lap band surgery. He could stand to lose at least 100 pounds. I think he may be the type that will benefit from this since he has shown very little control over his consumption of any kind for the 25 years we've been married.

Obviously, I am weary of the total change this is going to have on our lives. However, I read a lot of accounts of people, who've had this done, who are very happy indeed.

But now I would like to hear from the spouses.

How did this change your relationship? Was it hard for you to adjust? What was the impact on your daily routine?

What about family and friends?

What are the really challenging parts of this life change and how did you manage?

Another question-: why are some people able to decide on what they consume and therefore control their intake (of whatever) and some have no limits apparently?

I am sorry to have so many questions.
I am somewhat upset and also encouraged at the same time. I really would like to hear from 'normal' people, not doctors who sell this option...

thank you so much for your input!
Anschel

Postby Meadhra » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:23 am

Unfortunately, I am the person who had the band, so originally I wasn't going to answer.
However, I noticed that you haven't had any answers that really give you the information you are asking for, so I will give it my best shot.

Getting the band was the best decision I have ever made.
However, I can only tell you what I see affecting my wife and how it changed our relationship from my point of view.

First you have to realized that losing weight will not solve personal problems you have before the surgery.
If you husband/wife is a jerk before, they will be after.
I have seen a large number of banders who still are unhappy with there families, before and after.

As for my family, it took some getting used to especially around the dinner table.
As I struggles with learning what is a ?BIG? meal, they suffered right along with me.
After all when your kids vomit don't you worry about them? My kids don't understand that sometime it happens and I'm not sick (only if I do something I know I shouldn't like over eat).
They get upset.
However, my kids are proud of their dad.
My son even tells people that I have the band (who don't know) and how much I have lost (150lbs), even when I don't bring it up at the dinner table.

As for the more personal stuff, I think it has helped my relationship.
I feel better about myself and our relationship, and she seems to be happier since I am happier.
She and I are getting closer as I loose weight.
Even though she loved me no matter what, it did hurt her to see me basically dieing from obesity and it hurt her when I was depressed.
On top of that it has helped her be better motivated to lower her own weight.

As for fiends and family, I have gotten nothing but encouragement and a little jealousy (but nothing bad).

As for the other question about control, I would love to know that myself.
All I can say it , that is a fact.
I know that I could eat until I vomited, but never was full.
I still don't get "Full" like I would like, but my band help slow me down and keep me from eating huge meal.
My bother, however, not only could eat anything he wanted, but he would stop and stayed so skinny people would ask if he was sick.

Don't worry about having too many questions.
There is no such thing as asking too many questions.
You?re welcome to e-mail me if you would like an option / information from someone who has the band.
Meadhra

Postby Corbmac » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:25 am

Obesity has nothing to do with choosing to control how much you consume.
That's ridiculously ignorant.

I recommend you counsel your husband *not* to get lapband surgery.
The side effects will linger long after the benefit has expired.
You most certainly can gain weight even after the surgery, and a surgery doesn't fix the causes of obesity.
Corbmac

Postby danil » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:33 am

Sorry I can't answer most of your questions... but the last one about the ability to control what and how much they eat... food addiction is a real addiction just like drugs and alcohol. Some people turn to food for comfort, some get a sort of high from binging and still others feel like they just can't stop and have no idea why.

Good luck to you and your hubby by the way if he decides to have the surgery. Hope it turns out well.
danil

Postby Fagan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 am

i think of this is probably risky in the long-term to have gastric bypass surgical operation on the grounds this is irreversible and your physique wil lbe invariably scarred. the different surgical operation i've got faith is back a similar project inspite of what this is. I recommend weight-reduction plan and attempting your basically right to get right into a heavily severe workout application. i woudl take despite ruin day of artwork to get your BMI a lot decrease as i will work out you're especially much double the BMI of weight problems. despite you do, weigh your recommendations very heavily and positioned your long term wellbeing first earlier any value.
Fagan

Return to Lap Band Surgery