Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

My Laptop Has A 7pin, I'm Using A 4 To 4 Pin To Connect My Projector, Which Has A Blurry Picture. Reason?

My Laptop Has A 7pin, I'm Using A 4 To 4 Pin To Connect My Projector, Which Has A Blurry Picture. Reason?

Postby Corky » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 pm

I can't figure it out. Most articles on the web say that using a 4 pin cable in place of a 7 pin cable is okay and will not effect the picture but I can't get a clear picture. Does that mean I need a 7 pin adapter or is there another way to connect a projector to a laptop? My laptop does not have holes for the screws on either side of the monitor/projector cable so I can't use that. I'm at a loss for what will work and I need a clear picture on my presentations. My laptop is a HP DV5000 and I have a Hitachi projector. The 4 pin plug works great with my c-workers Dell so I can't figure out why it won't work the same with my HP?
Corky

Postby Lendall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:00 pm

What you're hearing about 7-pin vs. 4-pin S-Video connectors is true; you would not see a difference in quality by using a 7-pin cable. I think the problem may be how the computer you're using is rendering the screen image down to 480i, which is the maximum resolution supported by the interface.   Try going into your video settings for the computer and changing your screen resolution to 640x480 before connecting to your projector with the S-Video cable. As you have a widescreen display, the image may look distorted on your PC's screen, but it should look OK on the projection.  There may be an option to letterbox the lower resolution instead of stretching it to fill the screen; it depends on your laptop's video adapter.   You should be able to connect to your projector using a standard 15-pin VGA cable.  If the screws are the problem, you can remove them with a little work.  Try pulling up hard with a pair of pliers to unscrew the anchoring screws from the cable ends. A lot of times, they'll come out.   Or, you could try cutting them off.  A Dremel multi-tool with a cutoff wheel would make short work of them. Using a VGA cable, you would be able to display in 800x600 or 1024x768, depending on the projector. This is better than you can get with the S-Video cable.  You would still do well to change the screen resolution to match the projector's even in that case.
Lendall

Postby Geraldo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 pm

Try changing the screen resolution What you're hearing about 7-pin vs. 4-pin S-Video connectors is true; you would not see a difference in quality by using a 7-pin cable. I think the problem may be how the computer you're using is rendering the screen image down to 480i, which is the maximum resolution supported by the interface.   Try going into your video settings for the computer and changing your screen resolution to 640x480 before connecting to your projector with the S-Video cable. As you have a widescreen display, the image may look distorted on your PC's screen, but it should look OK on the projection.  There may be an option to letterbox the lower resolution instead of stretching it to fill the screen; it depends on your laptop's video adapter.   You should be able to connect to your projector using a standard 15-pin VGA cable.  If the screws are the problem, you can remove them with a little work.  Try pulling up hard with a pair of pliers to unscrew the anchoring screws from the cable ends. A lot of times, they'll come out.   Or, you could try cutting them off.  A Dremel multi-tool with a cutoff wheel would make short work of them. Using a VGA cable, you would be able to display in 800x600 or 1024x768, depending on the projector. This is better than you can get with the S-Video cable.  You would still do well to change the screen resolution to match the projector's even in that case. Sources: Experience IchtheosaurusRex 75 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Geraldo

Return to Fat Loss 4 Idiots