Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

My Dog Has A Skin Irritation Due To Food Allergy And He Keeps Ripping His Hair Out!?

Diet Pill Discussion

My Dog Has A Skin Irritation Due To Food Allergy And He Keeps Ripping His Hair Out!?

Postby Bornbazine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:23 pm

the vet told me he had a food allergy and he used to get bad ear infections because of it when we feed him regular dog food. We have been taking him to the vet and paid hundreds of dollars, I just want y'all to know that we aren't neglecting him. I just want to find a cure or something to give him a little relief.
Bornbazine

Postby Connolly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Heath put yourself in the the place of your dog and think how bad you would feel if you were itching and in the state he's in. Putting a cone over his head will only stress him out more so you need to ensure the Vet is treating your dog properly. I would feed him on fresh meat with just a few biscuits if he was my dog and I hope he's been tested for Demodic mange. Poor thing he does'nt deserve to itch like mad. http://www.davidgodfreydermatology.co.uk...

Heath I replied to another question and thought this link might help your dog.
Connolly

Postby Oxford » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:33 pm

consider consulting a homeopathic vet.
it may be a chronic disease condition from over vaccination and need to be treated with a homeopathic remedy
Oxford

Postby Ocunnowhurst » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Why would you assume food and assume hypoallergenic food does the trick? Do an elimination diet so if it's food you stop feeding it. It could very well be environmental allergies too or even thyroid disease.

ADD - Without an allergy test, your vet - as well as anyone else - can not say what the allergy is to. The steps might seem time consuming but they're worth it:

1. Elimination diet - this means the dog eats only ONE protein source, one vegetable and if must be one grain for kibble. Wellness simple solutions or california naturals might be good kibble choices. It's a lot easier to do with a homecooked or raw diet. The dog can only eat this one source for at least 6-8 weeks. If he clears up by week 8 then you can try adding in 1 more protein source. If he didn't clear up, you have to change the source entirely. That's why home cooked or raw make it easier plus eliminates the chance of preservatives, food storage mites, or dyes being the allergen culprits. In 6-8 weeks, you don't need to worry about deficiencies yet, you just need to make sure there's a calcium source like raw bones. I don't know if you want to get that involved in this but it is the easiest way to determine and avoid food allergies.

2. After the food trial, if you exhausted it and see no changes, assume environmental. My dog is allergic to grass, dust mites, pine trees, dander, and some weeds. The vet originally had her on a plant steroid called beta-thyme which tries to balance the immune system (allergies mean a hyperactive immune system, usually from too much suppression and/or genetic - like a star that goes supernova) I changed her pill to neem leaf capsules - she is 100% better. I give my 25 lb dog 950 mg twice a day. But the raw diet I feed her I believe helps also.

Wipe off the paws with plain water or aloe mixed with water after he's been outside. An expensive but very effective body suit called K9 Lycra body suit can help keep allergens off him.

3. If you're still having skin problems, consider testing the thyroid with hemopet.org (because they are most accurate and low expensive compared to other labs) Some dogs with hypothyroidism (very easy and cheap to treat) have bad skin or allergies.

4. You can also look into vitamin therapy which has helped some dogs with these issues. Vitamin A therapy, Zinc, C, and omega 3. The yahoo group k9nutrition is very helpful for that.
Ocunnowhurst

Postby Biadhaiche » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm

I would say get him a cone. Other than that I would say talk to your vet about alternatives.
Biadhaiche

Postby Helmut » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm

The most common reasons for skin issues (i.e. itching, skin irritation and/or hair loss) include:

- Allergic reactions to flea bites, food/treats, grooming products or house-cleaning products, etc.

- Mites

- Fungal/Bacterial infections (ringworm, yeast, staph etc.) See a remedy below

- Steroid use (also called prednisone, cortisone or the so-called 'allergy shot')

Scratching opens the door to secondary skin infections sometimes coupled with a bad odor.

ALLERGIES

To allergic dogs just one flea can cause havoc. Even if not visible, you can always see the debris fleas leave behind that looks like finely ground coffee. If placed in water, they will turn red.

You can get rid of the fleas with natural methods to avoid exposure to the toxic chemicals of Frontline, Advantage and other popular flea medications which will cause harm sooner or later. For recommendations see http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-... Also, you can dust your yard where your dog roams with inexpensive diatomaceous earth. For more info on flea control see http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all-aro...

and http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatom...

Check food/treats ingredients. Dog's digestive system is not designed to handle grains well. Discontinue any with corn, wheat, etc. Get ones with no grains with meat as a primary ingredient ? chicken, lamb, salmon, etc.

Discontinue use of grooming products or house cleaning products that can be allergens. For a while, use white vinegar as the cleaning agent for your floors, counters, etc. Vinegar has strong cleaning and anticeptic properties and the smell disappears quickly after use. See http://www.vinegarworkswonders.com/faqs.asp

MITES

Three types of mites that attack dogs most often: demodectic (not contagious and may itch or not), sarcoptic (very contagious and extremely itchy) and cheyletiella (contagious and mildly itchy). This condition is known as mange. The typical symptoms of mange as the condition progresses include hair loss and scaly or crusty skin.

Avoid the medications most often prescribed by vets that contain toxic chemicals which will harm your dog sooner or later. These are Ivermectin (also known as Ivomec) and Amitraz (also known as Mitaban). Instead, I recommend the use of natural products. Search the Internet to find them. I prefer the spray type treatment which is effective, easy to use, and inexpensive that will kill the mites but is harmless to pets and humans. You can get it at http://www.florapetnaturals.com/online-store.html

STEROID USE

As Dr. Karen Becker, DVM states - "Steroids (also called prednisone, cortisone or the nondescript ?allergy shot?) are the least optimal treatment choice, as they work by suppressing your pet?s immune system. Not only can steroids have a negative effect on your pet?s liver, adrenal glands and kidneys, but suppressing your pet?s immune system with steroids also allows for opportunistic yeast and bacteria to grow on your pet?s skin..." Please read the information below: 'Steroids The Great Pretender - Even Low Steroid Doses Can Be Trouble'.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/steroids.htm

Many vets assume that pet owners just want to see their pets get better at all cost or if they are not sure about what the problem is they will prescribe steroids knowing the risks. Steroids are very dangerous and do not cure anything, they just mask the symptoms temporarily but the underlying cause remains and result in undesirable health complications, including skin problems.

SKIN INFECTION REMEDY

For many skin issues I recommend a powder called 'Flowers of Sulfur' (also known as 'brimstone' or 'sublime sulfur').

This substance has been used for thousands of years to cure all kinds of skin ailments including fungal and bacterial infections and if there is itching, it will stop it very quickly. Google it to learn more about its healing properties.

Even vets have forgotten about this wonderful and inexpensive remedy but fortunately you can still purchase it at your local pharmacy for very little money. You can also buy it online at http://www.pennherb.com/search?mp=s&se=Flowers+of+Sulphur+Powder

Flowers of sulfur is safe to apply to your pet's skin but take care not to inhale sulfur powder.

You can dust this powder on your dog's skin OR mix it with an oil to rub on the skin.

The dusting can easily be accomplished if you use a powdered sugar duster or an empty talcum powder bottle. Separate the hair as you go around dusting to expose the skin until you have covered it.

Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of flower of sulfur with 1 cup of Jojoba oil and put it in a bottle. Always shake to mix well before applying to the skin as it tends to separate. This method works well for smaller skin areas. You do not need to wear gloves as it is not toxic to humans either.
Helmut

Postby Lysander » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:51 pm

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My dog has a skin irritation due to food allergy and he keeps ripping his hair out!?

An allergy test is to expensive and we have changed his food to a super hypoallergenic veterinarian brand. We give him medicine to stop it but he keeps ripping out his fur. How can I stop him from doing this?
Lysander

Postby Bemidii » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:53 pm

The less ingredients in the dog food the better. My dog does not seem to do well on beef. I am now feeding her Wellness Simple Solutions.
There is medication that the vet can prescribe to help with this intense itching. Her allergies present by licking of her paws.
Bemidii

Return to Diet Pills & Supplements