Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

My Cat Ate Some Bad Chicken And Threw Up A Lot, What To Do?

Postby Cedric » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Basically, we gave the cat some leftover chicken (my partner ate it too but was fine :S) it can't have been anything else, he didn't eat off the side or our plates as he didn't leave the living room last night. We haven't changed his biscuits either. So we went to bed and later he'd thrown up like 6 times. Huge amounts in 2 places, there were big lumps of chicken in the sick too.

He's drinking very well and back to eating his biscuits this morning and hasn't been sick since, for about 6 hours now I'd say. He's pretty much himself though a little more attached to me than usual (following me, sleeping next to where I sit).

Do you think since he was sick so much he got all of it out and is okay now? He's eating and drinking well but does he need to see a vet just in case? I don't want to do the wrong thing, he's my baby!
Cedric

Postby Cadwaladyr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:15 pm

If a cat is used to eating a certain diet, it is not uncommon that adding a new, rich food to their diet suddenly could cause stomach upset and problems, especially if it is scarfed down.

Think of it as a little kid eating too much cotton candy at the fair. :)

If he's back to eating, drinking, not vomiting anymore, and there are no ill-effects from either end any more, then yes, I think the episode is over and I don't think a vet is necessary right now.

I would recommend just keeping an eye on him over the next few days to make sure there are no other symptoms popping up, but I don't think they will.

I think he's fine.
Just had a night of too much partying.
Cadwaladyr

Postby Greipr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Clean fresh water,,leave him alone,,,your cat will be better in 48HRS,
Greipr

Postby Jabarl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:21 pm

chicken bones are bad for cats
Jabarl

Postby ager » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:23 pm

You might be tempted to give your cat some of our human food because your cat might beg you at the table or you might want to give her a treat. You should consider that human diet and the way we humans prepare our food is not appropriate for cats. Humans cook their food with all kinds of additives that are bad for a cat?s digestive system and have the potential to be very dangerous. It is not worth to risk your cat?s health by giving her treats from your own food or even worse giving her leftovers. This will in addition encourage begging and unnatural behavior that can cause other behavior problems.

She seems to be alright, so no worries. But please avoid giving her leftovers.
ager

Postby langleah » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:24 pm

I'd keep a watch on him, but it seems like cats puke a lot. I think it seems like it just didn't 'agree' with his little belly.
langleah

Postby Fane » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Spices aren't well for them, adding salt. It can disillusioned their stomachs. Watch out for bones too. If you need to supply the cats external the chook, then be certain you do away with or wash manner the spices... nevertheless, throwing out meals will inspire rats.
Fane

Postby Loughlin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:32 pm

What else was on/with the chicken? Please monitor the vomiting.
If the cat continues to vomit for excessively, then an emergency or quick regular vet appointment will be necessary to rehydrate or possibly medicate for a food-borne illness.
Most food-borne illnesses are taken care of by a cat's high body temperature, but they do tend to vomit more than humans.
A measure I sometimes take to rehydrate and feed my cats is to use a needle-free feeding syringe to administer water, a very small amount of organic milk, or wet food mixed with water to a point that it can enter a syringe.
After a few syringes of liquid or food/liquid the cat will feel and act noticeably better.
Don't ever replace a vet's care with this method, though.
I often use it at night if I think an emergency trip isn't necessary, but I then take the cat to the vet the next day.
Loughlin

Return to Eat to Live