Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Ive Been Put On Anti Depressants, Do I Have Depression?

Discuss Bulimia

Postby roswell50 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 am

Im 16 and i have weekly therapy with a psychologist for my eating disorder and anxiety, and i also have a psychiatrist too. My therapist suggested i have a meeting with my psychiatrist to discuss medication, so i did. He asked me questions for about 45 minutes and then at the end he said he thinks it would be best if i take fluoxetine (which i am) but he didnt actually say the words 'you have depression' so im confused, do i have depression or dont i?
roswell50

Postby Cadda » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:34 am

I was originally on Fluoxetine for Depression but it can also be used in the treatment of eating disorders...ask your doctor to explain things to you, that will help,x
Cadda

Postby Abboid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am

How are we supposed to know? Ask your doctor.
Abboid

Postby Amell » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:39 am

im on the same med as you and i have depression but its also used to treat anxiety in some cases. only you can determine if u are depressed or not. no doctor can diagnose u in my opinion!
Amell

Postby Plys » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 am

You don't have to have depression to be on anti-depressants. Fluoxetine is used to treat OCD, panic disorders, Bulimia, binge eating, alcohol dependancy and a few other things. Clinical trials have shown that it reduces the frequency of binge-purge episodes in bulimia, and can even help with Anorexia. I would say that your doctor put you on it because of your ED not because you are depressed.
Plys

Postby Aviya » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:46 am

They probably can't give you a diagnosis.

Legally, they have to tell you your diagnosis, if they want to prescribe you meds, what happens if you don't take them, alternative options and possible side effects. its called you informed consent. Your Psychiatrist didn't give that to you.

But people do take antidepressants for anxiety. Its not going to physically fix anything. Its suppose to just be kind of a emotional sedative. If you don't like it you don't have to take it. Its just an option. There's alternative methods to you should see a different doctor to explore those options. IF you do decide to take it make sure its just temporary, you learn the tools to take care of your own anxiety an eating disorder on your own. Being on the pills forever should not be the goal. The cure to move on, learn the tools and confidence that you can overcome anything and be self-sufficient is.

Chemical imbalance is a THEORY, that's been DISPROVEN.

" Dr. Friedman and Dr. Nierenberg acknowledged that the CHEMICAL IMBALANCE THEORY of mental disorders was DISPROVEN long ago"

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mad-in-america/201108/in-defense-psychiatric-medications-part-two
Aviya

Return to Bulimia