Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Is There A Way To Turn A Folder On Your Windows Xp Desktop Into A Drop Down Menu?

Is There A Way To Turn A Folder On Your Windows Xp Desktop Into A Drop Down Menu?

Postby Young-Nam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:38 am

Is there a way to turn a folder on your windows xp Desktop into a Drop down menu like the option for the right side of the start menu(My Documents, My computer, E.T.C.)?so i can have just a few links on my desktop instead of 35 icons(all of which i use at least three times a week or more)
Young-Nam

Postby zared36 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:23 am

In that case, the answer to your question, "Is there a way to..." is "No, there isn't." Sorry I couldn't help.
zared36

Postby Aldus » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 am

Salty said: 2 In that case, the answer to your question, "Is there a way to..." is "No, there isn't." Sorry I couldn't help. 76 months ago
Aldus

Postby Ansel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Not directly(that I know of), however... ... you can get close to what you want.  Here's how: Right-click a blank area of your Taskbar.  In the pop-up menu, hover over Toolbars > then click New Toolbar....  A dialog titled something like "New toolbar - choose a folder" will pop up.  Use it to find and select the folder you want quick access to, and click OK.  This will create a new button titled with the folder name on the right side of your toolbar, just to the left of your clock and system tray.  Clicking on this button pops up your folder and its contents in a drop-down like what you're wanting.  It won't be on your desktop, but it makes your folder very easy to access. Bonus tip(related to my answer): if you have a lot of icons on your desktop that you use quite often, you might have noticed that you have to constantly move windows around or minimize them just to launch one of those icons.  And they muck up your view of that nice wallpaper.  You can clean up your desktop and give yourself quicker access to those in the same way you added that folder to the Taskbar.  Right-click the Taskbar, hover over Toolbars > and then click Desktop.  That adds a Desktop button in the right side of the Taskbar that has all your Desktop icons on it, giving you fast, one-click access to them.  Now clean up your display by right clicking a blank area of the desktop, hover over View > and click Show desktop icons to clear the checkmark.  Voila, your desktop is clean, and all those icons can be easily found on the Desktop menu. Hope this helps! Sources: personal experiance Salty 76 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Ansel

Postby daviot » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:05 pm

zwatcher said: 1 taskbar/toolbar folders are not helping me make my desktop UI operate the way i function best.going to the taskbar is a jarring skip in my smooth flowing routine.i need my taskbar functions at the bottom of the screen and my programs top/left with the start menu populated with drive and root folder access. 76 months ago
daviot

Postby Warrick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:59 pm

You can make a shortened, customized drop down that is on your Start bar.1. Make a folder anywhere on your hard drive, and put any shortcuts that you'd need in there.(For example, make a folder called Office, and have a shortcut for WORD)2. Right click your start bar(as if you were going to start task manager), and go to Toolbars, then slide over and down to New Toolbar.3. In the dialog box that comes up, navigate to the folder you just created, highlight it and click OK.You now have a folder on your toolbar. Just click the >> and it'll drop down(or up depending on where you keep your Start bar) and you can use your short cuts without cluttering your desktop.You can even navigate to sub-folder if you like.I currently keep 4 different folders, but I wouldn't want to do too many more than that.I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.
Warrick

Postby Khalid » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 am

bimplebean said: 3 1. Create a folder and fill it with your shortcuts.2. Right-click toolbar and select Toolbars, then check the Links menu. This displays your Internet Explorer shortcuts. 3. Right-Click "Links", select "Show Folder"4. *Move* the shortcut folders you created into the Links folder(move, not copy).5. Now when you click each folder, it's shortcuts will pop up as a menu! You can then move the Links toolbar to the desktop if you want. 75 months ago
Khalid

Postby Garvin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:55 am

taskbar/toolbar folders are not helping me make my desktop UI operate the way i function best.going to the taskbar is a jarring skip in my smooth flowing routine.i need my taskbar functions at the bottom of the screen and my programs top/left with the start menu populated with drive and root folder access.
Garvin

Postby Achak » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:43 am

You cannot make a drop down on the desktop, but you can on the Start bar. You can make a shortened, customized drop down that is on your Start bar.1. Make a folder anywhere on your hard drive, and put any shortcuts that you'd need in there.(For example, make a folder called Office, and have a shortcut for WORD)2. Right click your start bar(as if you were going to start task manager), and go to Toolbars, then slide over and down to New Toolbar.3. In the dialog box that comes up, navigate to the folder you just created, highlight it and click OK.You now have a folder on your toolbar. Just click the >> and it'll drop down(or up depending on where you keep your Start bar) and you can use your short cuts without cluttering your desktop.You can even navigate to sub-folder if you like.I currently keep 4 different folders, but I wouldn't want to do too many more than that.I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it helps. Sources: This is my opinion, experience, and instructions... cranlsn 76 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Achak

Postby Larnell » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:52 pm

1. Create a folder and fill it with your shortcuts.2. Right-click toolbar and select Toolbars, then check the Links menu. This displays your Internet Explorer shortcuts. 3. Right-Click "Links", select "Show Folder"4. *Move* the shortcut folders you created into the Links folder(move, not copy).5. Now when you click each folder, it's shortcuts will pop up as a menu! You can then move the Links toolbar to the desktop if you want.
Larnell

Next

Return to Sonoma Diet