Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Is Sex Education Responsible For The Declining Birth Rate?

Postby Choncey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:10 am

In my first year of high school, our teachers got us to watch a sex ed video.
Part of that included a live birth.
In close up.
Episiotomy and all.

That image of a scalpel ruthlessly slicing away stayed with me and, I swear, put me off child birth for life.

Well that and the giant object being forced through an incredibly tiny passage.

I am now significantly older and have NO intention of ever putting my body through that.
Ever.

Does anyone else feel that way?

I am pretty sure that if I had no idea what childbirth could entail, I might have been more inclined to include it as part of my life plan.
Is ignorance bliss?
Choncey

Postby Gwyngad » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 am

Most countries in Africa being obliviously ignorant about Sex Education have the highest birth rates. So by using these extremes, it is safe to conclude that sex education does contribute to the declining of birth rates.
Gwyngad

Postby bosworth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:15 am

I have always tried to stop my daughters have sex education, other than the basics, taught to them before too young an age.

I have never wanted them to be afraid of childbirth.
I protested vigorously when they were in junior school at the headmistress who wanted them to watch a graphic video, with the mother groaning in pain, too.
As a mother, you don't actually see all that when you give birth.
And with modern technology, like pain relief, it's not too bad, compared with my natural childbirth plans.
Which went out of the window, very quickly.

So yes, ignorance is bliss.
bosworth

Postby Gaukroger » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:16 am

Well i can't remember ever watching something like that, and i have 3 kids.
So..maybe!

However, i am still haunted by their old fashioned sex ed vids. The image of the totally naked, old dad with the wiry beard and saggy butt, walking from the bathroom to the bedroom..*shudder*

*Thanks for putting that image back into my head*
Gaukroger

Postby Morfinn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 am

I don't think so, primarily because sex ed isn't taught enough or well enough. But I do think just the availability of birth control helps. When the pill came out there were thousands upon thousands of women who sought it even though it was against cultural norms. But really, it could only be the ones that had informed themselves, right? Same is true today. Sex ed just isn't taught well.

I think sex ed has the potential to be responsible for a declining birth rate though.
Morfinn

Postby Dubhagain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 am

I think it's all about what you would go through to get what you want - if you're very focused on having kids, labour isn't such a big deal. Labour is a couple of hours (maybe, if you're very unlucky, up to a couple of days) but a child is forever after. To me, it's a bit like saying that you don't want to learn to drive because car seats are uncomfortable. Well, fair enough, but there's much more important things you should be basing your decision on.

My labour was VERY bad but I'd do it again. It's not just painful (although it obviously is that as well) its exhilarating, mind-blowing, life-changing. And there are very good drugs and treatments to help you deal with the pain. If you don't want kids, I'd completely respect your right to decide this - but please don't let this be the thing that puts you off.
Dubhagain

Postby Vic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:25 am

Contraception is the main reason for a declining birth rate.
Some other users here state that the birth rate is rising here in the UK, we must have more sex with it, in recessions.

I do remember that sex ed video too, or one similar and yes it did scare me at age 11, but I forgot about it, until recently, when my son was shown one similar.

Most women seem to forget any pain they went through with each child or cope with it, because of the little person, they made.

You could always opt for an operation to remove your baby, although that isn't painless either, nor is pregnancy or breast feeding or getting up every 4 hours for the first 2 months, feeding, nappy changing etc....
Yes ignorance is probably bliss ish.
Vic

Postby Rickie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:28 am

I really doubt that. Yours was a different case. Birthrates in general are due to availability of birth control and people pushing marriage for later in order to pursue their careers.
Rickie

Postby Pippin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:30 am

declining birth rate can be for many reasons such as:

- women having children later in life so they can pursue their career

- the cost of having just one child is more expensive than it used to be

I think they're the main ones.

edit: oh yes, Slab reminded me, the more ease of access to contraception as well as "safe sex" education making it easier to have sex and not get pregnant. and being more knowledgeable about consequences of unsafe sex.
Pippin

Postby Trevelyan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:47 am

In the UK the birth rate is rising. It has been said that we need 250,000 extra school places. So I don't know where you got the Information from as this is UK YA.
Trevelyan

Next

Return to Body Image and Self Esteem