Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Is Eating Hummus For 3 Meals A Day On A Daily Basis Healthy? My Daughter Is Obsessive With Weight Loss.

General Weight Loss Program Discussion

Is Eating Hummus For 3 Meals A Day On A Daily Basis Healthy? My Daughter Is Obsessive With Weight Loss.

Postby Zimra » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:36 pm

My daughter is a recovering bulimic and anorexic. She eats hummus as a way to loose weight. She is in college so I'm not sure what she eats when she is not home. She has lost a lot of weight and still wants to loose more. She makes statements that if I don't purchase hummus for her she will not eat. Is eating hummus and pita bread as the main nutrients and foods(breakfast, dinner, and lunch and snacks) healthy when used as a weigh to loose weight? I've tried to encourage her to eat fruits and other healthy foods with it. When she is home from college she will eat other foods because I fix foods she likes. She has made statements that when she foods other than hummus she gets sick at her stomach and her tummy hurts. When she is at college I'm not sure what she eats, except she tells me she spends her grocery money on hummus and does not eat in the school cafeteria(i understand not eating that cafeteria). Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Zimra

Postby Snowden » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:24 pm

maggo said: 1 Your description suggests she is NOT in "recovery." You don't need my opinion to know eating only hummus and pita bread is not sufficient to maintain health. I'm not sure what to suggest, maybe an intervention of concerned and compassionate friends and family, as they do in AA and other 12-step groups will be a wake up. At the very least please try to find a support group, blog, etc. for yourself. Victims of this obsession often don't realize the pain they cause those that love them. Learn as much as you can and be there for your daughter. I hope others will weigh in with some specifics for you; it is far from a rare problem. Good luck to you. 69 months ago
Snowden

Postby Staerling » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:09 am

It's ground garbanza beans.  For a healthy diet, she needs fruits and vegetables in different colors, at minimum.
Staerling

Postby Cailen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 am

As far as food goes hummus has a fair amount of nutrition. Hummus and pita is not nutritionally well balanced as a long term way of eating. I'm amazed she picked that as it has a decent amount of protein,fat, and calories. Unfortunately your daughter is an adult(agewise) and " in control of her ship". Appealing to reason is hard with a psychologically charged issue, especially with your young adult who is trying to become her own person. Does she have a health care provider she could see when home that she is comfortable with, who might be able to talk with her and reach some middle ground? Letting the professional discuss her height,weight,nutritional needs, and concerns might allow you to step out of the role of 'bad guy'. It could be set up as an annual exam so as not to have her feel she is getting ganged up on.  Otherwise I would contimue to encourage healthy meals as the way to not get sick. Focus on positives. Healthy meals don't have to be high calorie.  Perhaps your doctor might feel she would benefit by a visit to a nutritionist who could help her plan meals around hummus that would be complete protein and healthy.    hang in there Mom, these kids are so hard sometimes.   Sources: I have 3 kids of my own NHmom 69 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Cailen

Postby Peppin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:03 am

I guess it depends on the amount she eats Low calorie food-HUMMUS is NOT!!!!!!!!!!(but don't tell her) One cup has over 400 calories and 21 grams of fat(YIKES) 50 carbs on the upside it does have 12 grams of pretien & 9 grams of fiber. You didn't say if she had been under a doctor's care or dietitian. If she hasn't, you really need to, she obviously needs more help than you can give. A support group would be good for her also. Do not make a mistake, of thinking this is a PHASE.....it is a deadly disease that she can die from. You really need to talk to a professionaL. Good Luck~   buffee 69 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Peppin

Postby Feldun » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:24 am

Low calorie food-HUMMUS is NOT!!!!!!!!!!(but don't tell her) One cup has over 400 calories and 21 grams of fat(YIKES) 50 carbs on the upside it does have 12 grams of pretien & 9 grams of fiber. You didn't say if she had been under a doctor's care or dietitian. If she hasn't, you really need to, she obviously needs more help than you can give. A support group would be good for her also. Do not make a mistake, of thinking this is a PHASE.....it is a deadly disease that she can die from. You really need to talk to a professionaL. Good Luck~  
Feldun

Postby Qaletaqa » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:05 am

Your description suggests she is NOT in "recovery." You don't need my opinion to know eating only hummus and pita bread is not sufficient to maintain health. I'm not sure what to suggest, maybe an intervention of concerned and compassionate friends and family, as they do in AA and other 12-step groups will be a wake up. At the very least please try to find a support group, blog, etc. for yourself. Victims of this obsession often don't realize the pain they cause those that love them. Learn as much as you can and be there for your daughter. I hope others will weigh in with some specifics for you; it is far from a rare problem. Good luck to you.
Qaletaqa

Postby Keeley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm

Hummus has minimal nutritional value, so how can it be healthy? It's ground garbanza beans.  For a healthy diet, she needs fruits and vegetables in different colors, at minimum. SexyTrojan 69 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Keeley

Postby jordanna34 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Hummus and pita is not nutritionally well balanced as a long term way of eating. I'm amazed she picked that as it has a decent amount of protein,fat, and calories. Unfortunately your daughter is an adult(agewise) and " in control of her ship". Appealing to reason is hard with a psychologically charged issue, especially with your young adult who is trying to become her own person. Does she have a health care provider she could see when home that she is comfortable with, who might be able to talk with her and reach some middle ground? Letting the professional discuss her height,weight,nutritional needs, and concerns might allow you to step out of the role of 'bad guy'. It could be set up as an annual exam so as not to have her feel she is getting ganged up on.  Otherwise I would contimue to encourage healthy meals as the way to not get sick. Focus on positives. Healthy meals don't have to be high calorie.  Perhaps your doctor might feel she would benefit by a visit to a nutritionist who could help her plan meals around hummus that would be complete protein and healthy.    hang in there Mom, these kids are so hard sometimes.  
jordanna34

Postby Trefor » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:13 pm

She's a grown woman. My son is annorexic. I can do so much. Buy favorite snacks. Make favorite meals. Even if he eats some, I know he's eating something, Do the same for your daughter. Buy a fruit platter or vegggies with dip. What are her favorite foods? Snacks. When you don't see her, give her a care package of her favorite snacks. If she wants hummus, let her have it, but put something else out that she likes. She may pick at it. It's better than nothing. That's what I do. Look up different types of salads. There are some with substance. Maybe chicken salad, crab meat, shrimp, or a plattet that has a little bit of everything, cold cuts with tomatoes and cucumbers so she'll think it's a diet platter.  Add crackers on the table for her to nibble. Try to give her food made with substance and her salads filled with bacon bits. I have been able to fool my son. His eyes aren't sunken in anymore. I always buy something he can resist taking a bite of, the same could be for your daughter. I know you are worried, I am. But you need to be cunning. Act like you wanted it and they'll take some..It's a heartache but we can't give up. All we can try to to is trick them so even if they look unerdweight, they are nibling on healthy foods. Let her eat her hummus. But add other foods you remember she likes. She might end up om snaking on them.   I know what you're going through, I'll pray for her welfare too. And a prayer for you. It is so diffivult watching your chikld do thid to themselves but we need to be one step ahead of them all the time. If they use to like it, they still do.  Put it out  and eventualy they will pick at it. A little is better than  none.   I wish you good luck, don't let on it's for her, just pick at it and pray she will too. Eventually, she will God Bless
Trefor

Next

Return to Weight Loss Programs