Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

I Walk For 1hr @7.4kmh & Cycle 10km @33kmh To Loose Weight. Do I Need Protien Supplements To Prevent Muscle Burn ?

I Walk For 1hr @7.4kmh & Cycle 10km @33kmh To Loose Weight. Do I Need Protien Supplements To Prevent Muscle Burn ?

Postby Lucas » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:02 am

I am 40 yeasr old male and have excess weight around my waist. I am a vegetarian and very concious of my diet. I mostly avoid sugar and sweets. My only indulgance is a about 2-3 pints of beer 2-3 times a week. Cannot do bending exercises because of back ache problems. I have lost 14 Kgs in the last 8 months. I was 84 Kgs in Feb and am now 71 Kgs.
Lucas

Postby Tobie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:34 am

Ah, that beer... First of all, beer goes straight to your middle.  If you look up "empty calories," you'll find beer right at the top of the list. I gave it up about 5 months ago because I have a young child and can't afford to slow my reaction time.  I've lost about 15 lb(~7Kg) with no change in my activity level.  My beer consumption was comparable to yours, and I'm considerably older than you are. They don't call it a beer belly for nothing. Both of the activities you mention are aerobic, which is great for your weight loss program. However, neither of them will put on a lot of muscle.  If you were pumping iron several times a week, you would probably need more protein in your diet. Aerobic exercise takes more in the way of complex carbs.  If you eat a vegetarian diet, you are probably getting enough already. However, you might increase your intake of some foods, like legumes, that contain both carbs and protein, as you do need some to improve your muscle tone. I don't know if you are a vegan. If you are not, fish, milk, and cheese are excellent sources of protein, and you don't have to buy them as supplements. On that note - supplements have a dubious reputation among those in the know - doctors of medicine and nutritionists.  A daily multivitamin is OK, but most of us should be getting all of our nutrients through the foods we eat. You're already food-conscious, so it should be easy for you to modify your diet to get what you need. Sources: Experience IchtheosaurusRex 84 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Tobie

Postby Mokovaoto » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:13 am

Supplements won't prevent anything. Supplements will minimize some ailments, but not prevent them.   Protein supplements can cause weight gain.  Excessive protein supplements can cause your body to lose its ability to digest protein in foods.    Do your legs hurt.  If so I would recommend a cardio exercise for the upper body, like a rowing machine.  Lifting weights would build muscle that would increase calorie burn, especially the upper body as you do not exercies those muscles.   The beer is almost all carbs and will provide some necessary nutrients, however it will add calories. I don't see the quantity that you consume will cause any problems.   I don?t know how much more weight you want to lose, so this is a general answer.   Does your vegetarian diet omit milk, cheese, or eggs?  If not add these protein sources. If so add flax seed, soy meal or soy milk  or various nuts.   Protein supplements usually involve whey, which is a milk product.  The main source of protein supplements is a whey product, a derivative of milk.   You are 40 years old & your body can?t do the things it use to do and you must reduce your workout if you hurt too much or add some alternate exercises to give your lower body a rest.   I can answer most specific questions.  I just provided some general info. Pales 84 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Mokovaoto

Postby Cornwallis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:23 am

no you don't need supplements the distances are not extreme, but you have high speed, cool.as long as you aren't going to run a marathon you are fine.fruit is very good and water and nuts give also a lot of energy.you don't need the proteins, thats for muscle growth, more tissue.you need sugars if you want longer distances & higher speed.but seems your plan is working, congratulations ! you can walk 100km on fruit alone, thatz no problem. fast energy out of food by eating pastas(italian cuisine) they are absorbed very fast. pascaldg 84 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Cornwallis

Postby Camille » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 am

Protein can help But btwo things: 1. You cannot loose weight. The word is lose. 2. Muscle burn, as you say, is more commonly referred to as catabolism. Catabolism while dieting can be cause by many things, but most commonly gluconeogenesis. That?s the conversion of other macronotrients, things like protein into glucose for glycogen storage or simply blood glucose maintenance.   So yes, dietary protein while dieting can help you avoid catabolsim. The two best sources for a vegetarian are soy protein and buckwheat protein. Spirulina he;ps, but it?s entirely too expensive to use in adequate amounts.   Next, the timing of your meals and protein intake. One of the ways protein is beneficial in avoiding catabolism is retaining a positive nitrogen balance. That?s best done by having some form of complete protein every three hours.   Meal timing is important to help regulate blood glucose and avoid the glucose being coverted into fat and stored in your adipose tissue. So many(5-6 or more) very small meals throughout the day is best.   The types of carbohydrates are also important. Longer chain polysaccharides are better than shorter chains. You can determine which foods you should lean twards by consulting the glycemic index.  http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm Sources: I've been lifting weights for 24 years and done extensive research BrainBuilder_is_gone 84 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Camille

Postby Knud » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:06 am

Pales, regarding your answer "Supplements won't prevent anything.":Right! Except catabolism, which is the crux of the question. How can you issue a blanket statement like that? The FDA is the agency that says that supplements can't claim to cure any illness, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the question. Protein WILL prevent catabolism.
Knud

Postby mather » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 pm

But btwo things: 1. You cannot loose weight. The word is lose. 2. Muscle burn, as you say, is more commonly referred to as catabolism. Catabolism while dieting can be cause by many things, but most commonly gluconeogenesis. That?s the conversion of other macronotrients, things like protein into glucose for glycogen storage or simply blood glucose maintenance.   So yes, dietary protein while dieting can help you avoid catabolsim. The two best sources for a vegetarian are soy protein and buckwheat protein. Spirulina he;ps, but it?s entirely too expensive to use in adequate amounts.   Next, the timing of your meals and protein intake. One of the ways protein is beneficial in avoiding catabolism is retaining a positive nitrogen balance. That?s best done by having some form of complete protein every three hours.   Meal timing is important to help regulate blood glucose and avoid the glucose being coverted into fat and stored in your adipose tissue. So many(5-6 or more) very small meals throughout the day is best.   The types of carbohydrates are also important. Longer chain polysaccharides are better than shorter chains. You can determine which foods you should lean twards by consulting the glycemic index.  http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm
mather

Postby garrad18 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 am

Supplements will minimize some ailments, but not prevent them.   Protein supplements can cause weight gain.  Excessive protein supplements can cause your body to lose its ability to digest protein in foods.    Do your legs hurt.  If so I would recommend a cardio exercise for the upper body, like a rowing machine.  Lifting weights would build muscle that would increase calorie burn, especially the upper body as you do not exercies those muscles.   The beer is almost all carbs and will provide some necessary nutrients, however it will add calories. I don't see the quantity that you consume will cause any problems.   I don?t know how much more weight you want to lose, so this is a general answer.   Does your vegetarian diet omit milk, cheese, or eggs?  If not add these protein sources. If so add flax seed, soy meal or soy milk  or various nuts.   Protein supplements usually involve whey, which is a milk product.  The main source of protein supplements is a whey product, a derivative of milk.   You are 40 years old & your body can?t do the things it use to do and you must reduce your workout if you hurt too much or add some alternate exercises to give your lower body a rest.   I can answer most specific questions.  I just provided some general info.
garrad18

Postby Leo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:57 am

the distances are not extreme, but you have high speed, cool.as long as you aren't going to run a marathon you are fine.fruit is very good and water and nuts give also a lot of energy.you don't need the proteins, thats for muscle growth, more tissue.you need sugars if you want longer distances & higher speed.but seems your plan is working, congratulations ! you can walk 100km on fruit alone, thatz no problem. fast energy out of food by eating pastas(italian cuisine) they are absorbed very fast.
Leo

Postby Duncan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm

BrainBuilder_is_gone said: 1 Pales, regarding your answer "Supplements won't prevent anything.":Right! Except catabolism, which is the crux of the question. How can you issue a blanket statement like that? The FDA is the agency that says that supplements can't claim to cure any illness, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the question. Protein WILL prevent catabolism. 84 months ago
Duncan

Next

Return to Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle