Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

I'm Scared To Increase My Calories To Lose Weight.?

Learn about Food Metabolism

Postby Aekerman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

I started my "diet" in May and lost 8kg since then. However the first 4kg came off in the first month of my diet. I am eating very little carbohydrates (i dont eat bread, pasta or potatoes, i get my carbs from veggies and fruit) and was successful. I had a food journal and ate around 1400calories a day, which is enough for me as i sit infront of my pc all day for University, and do around 30min sport a day. But somewhere along the lines i must have started eating less and less. I stopped the food journal and just ate how i felt was right. I started hitting a lot of plateaus which made me restrict my diet even further up to the point where i cut out all sweets (i used to have some chocolate every day - 85% dark chocolate), and had a cheat day every week where i ate carbs. But because i didn't see results i just cut those cheat days as well as any chocolate and increased exercise hoping to lose the weight again. I started losing 1kg a week, then having a food attack because i couldn't retain myself anymore and ended up gaining 1.5kg, then i would work off that weight in the next 2 weeks. So it was an up and down. I started thinking that something must be wrong and added my calories together again and found that i only ate around 900 calories a day and did 1hour exercise minimum a day. I always ate when i was hungry so i thought i ate enough, but my metabolism must have slowed down so dramatically that i just didn't feel hungry because my body stopped burning effectively. I was shocked and decided to up my calorie intake again. Now i am eating 1300 - 1400 calories a day again, still no carbs but i plan to eat carbs every Saturday again. I am petrified to gain weight as i know i will..so my question is how quickly will my metabolism get back to normal and when will i start losing again. I am doing weight training and drink green tea every day, and i snack every 2-3 hours. I decided not to step on the scales again for the next two weeks. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance! :)
Aekerman

Postby Guin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 am

I found the book to be very informative and easy to read.

I've lost 17 pounds in 12 days, I'm just concerned that I'm losing too much weight, too quickly. I will admit I haven't followed the guide exactly. I'm not sticking perfectly to the listed foods and meal plans (but mostly) and doing very little exercise, but the weight keeps flying off.

It clearly works and if I'd followed it exactly I think it would scare the living daylights out of me because of the amount that I'd lose. So thanks again for the information. I've never purchased anything like this before because they are usually full of trash, but 3WD has been a pleasant surprise.

Get started today!
Guin

Postby Biadhaiche » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:02 am

I've sort of been through the same thing, and i find that cheat days do help with bringing your metabolism back up to speed. Cheat days don't mean eat everything in sight, binge day. It means eating MORE of what you usually eat, about 1000 calories more. The best way to do this is by eating carbs that will boost your leptin levels. Leptin is a hormone that regulates your fat metabolism and hunger levels, and dieting reduces those levels. However, a large increase in CARBS causes your leptin levels to increase and speeds up your metabolism. The emphasis is on carbs, not calories. A bowl of noodles will be better than a hamburger, sushi better than cake, etc. The way to do this is if your body fat percentage is 10-14 then do this once a week, if your body fat is higher then only do them once every 2 weeks.

Also, the guy below is only partly correct. When you diet and create a calorie deficit, your body adapts. Which makes the overall calorie need, less. Which means you burn less calories doing normal things, and it makes it nigh impossible to continue losing weight at a point. That is called a plateau. So when that happens you should begin to cycle calories and change your workout. Have one day where you eat maybe 1600, then one day where you eat 1000, then 1400, then 800, then repeat. Keeps your body guessing and allows you to maintain a calorie deficit.

Another thing you can do is start doing weights, which will build muscle and increase your metabolism.
Biadhaiche

Postby Darcell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:04 am

If you eat more calories than you use you will gain weight.

If you use more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

That's all there is.

All the rest is a smokescreen.

But there is a multi billion diet industry because millions of people can't grasp this simple relationship and think they have to pay someone to come up with a diet or exercise plan.
Darcell

Postby Mano » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:05 am

Search for a museum or art gallery.
Mano

Postby Horado » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:07 am

Drink lots connected with water. (You'll stand up for refills and trips to the bathroom. )
Horado

Postby Siolat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 am

Identify the emotional triggers that cause you to seek unhealthy comfort food. Picture your goal weight when a trigger strikes to assist you to resist temptation.
Siolat

Postby Lindley » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:09 am

Distracted dining will get you in trouble. Avoid eating when in front of a television or in a movie theater, as you're bound to use up more calories.
Lindley

Postby Jephtah » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 am

Eating liquid-based foods such while natural smoothies and low-sodium soup can help you cut back on calories but feel full.
Jephtah

Postby ErcwIff » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:29 am

eat more veggies
ErcwIff

Next

Return to Food Metabolism