Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

I Have Been Very Sedentary. I Started A Diet (1500 Calories) And Walking 5 Miles/day, Lost 5, Then Gained 4 Back? Why

I Have Been Very Sedentary. I Started A Diet (1500 Calories) And Walking 5 Miles/day, Lost 5, Then Gained 4 Back? Why

Postby Leeland » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:17 pm

I was very sedentary, now I am on a 1500 calorie diet(Need to lose 116), walking now 5 miles/day and at first, I lost 5 pounds(Not water weight, I am on a prescription diuretic for other reasons), now Ive gained 4 of the 5 back! I use hand weights when I walk and I do lunges while I walk. Could this be muscle I am gaining? I don't understand, but now I am frustrated!!!
Leeland

Postby Loran » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm

Don't be frustrated! Yes, If you 100% certain it wasn't water you've lost it can definitely be the gain of muscles, as muscles are heavier than fat. Which is one of the reasons why many people give up going into the gym. The want to lose weight and start exercises and/or weight training on a regular basis and then they gain weight, being disappointed and stop going into the gym, thinking it's pointless(if no one explains it to them). I been doing weights, martial arts and other sports for a very long time. My weight is 64.5 keg(10st 2.2lb)  if I stand behind a female with my exact height but who's never done any workout at all with a weight of 58kg(9st 1.9lb)  you won't be able to see my body as I am much more compressed in shape than her due the amount of muscles I have(except my shoulders are a little bigger) Best thing you could do find out is to use a tape measure and watch your clothes. If you heavier on the weight scale but you suddenly need to wear a belt,- I think that says it all..
Loran

Postby Ain » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Thank you, I feel a little better, I need to throw the scale out!!!!
Ain

Postby Waldon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Regular exercise will increase a much heavier muscle mass Don't be frustrated! Yes, If you 100% certain it wasn't water you've lost it can definitely be the gain of muscles, as muscles are heavier than fat. Which is one of the reasons why many people give up going into the gym. The want to lose weight and start exercises and/or weight training on a regular basis and then they gain weight, being disappointed and stop going into the gym, thinking it's pointless(if no one explains it to them). I been doing weights, martial arts and other sports for a very long time. My weight is 64.5 keg(10st 2.2lb)  if I stand behind a female with my exact height but who's never done any workout at all with a weight of 58kg(9st 1.9lb)  you won't be able to see my body as I am much more compressed in shape than her due the amount of muscles I have(except my shoulders are a little bigger) Best thing you could do find out is to use a tape measure and watch your clothes. If you heavier on the weight scale but you suddenly need to wear a belt,- I think that says it all.. Sources: Personal experience, basic workout knowledge, general fitness knowledge NICKNAME*AHOLE666* 59 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Waldon

Postby Matyas » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:58 am

A couple good possibilities:First, your calorie intake is too low. Your body goes into "survival" mode if you drop your calorie intake too low and it does everything it can to prevent you from losing weight.Second, yes, as you suspected, keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. As you burn off fat, but gain muscle from the exercise, that is going to offset your net weight in the exact way that you are witnessing.Your body has a set point it will attempt to maintain. So its often easy to lose weight initially, but your metabolism will work to get you back to that old set point. Weight loss has to be a long term goal. Don't look too closely at short term results as they will be deceiving.
Matyas

Postby mahkah63 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:20 am

NanoNano said: 1 A couple good possibilities:First, your calorie intake is too low. Your body goes into "survival" mode if you drop your calorie intake too low and it does everything it can to prevent you from losing weight.Second, yes, as you suspected, keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. As you burn off fat, but gain muscle from the exercise, that is going to offset your net weight in the exact way that you are witnessing.Your body has a set point it will attempt to maintain. So its often easy to lose weight initially, but your metabolism will work to get you back to that old set point. Weight loss has to be a long term goal. Don't look too closely at short term results as they will be deceiving. 59 months ago
mahkah63

Postby Rowin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:12 pm

dvdsgirl817 replied to post #1: 2 Thank you, I feel a little better, I need to throw the scale out!!!! 59 months ago
Rowin

Postby dyvynarth » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:55 am

NanoNano replied to post #2: 3 If you keep it up you'll lose weight and keep it off. Give it a month or two and then check the scale and I think you'll be very happy with what you see. =)Your leg muscles are the biggest muscles in your body, so they are definitely going to offset your weight loss initially, but after awhile your muscle mass won't be going up appreciably any more, and fat will continue to drop, but its going to be a slow gradual process. 59 months ago
dyvynarth

Postby Raice » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:08 pm

muscle Muscle weighs a lot more than fat.  You've probably lost fat, but gained a bit more muscle.  That's good.   You won't be gaining a lot more muscle, so soon your total weight should start dropping again.     Ancient_Hacker 59 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Raice

Postby David » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat.  You've probably lost fat, but gained a bit more muscle.  That's good.   You won't be gaining a lot more muscle, so soon your total weight should start dropping again.    
David

Next

Return to Fat Loss 4 Idiots