Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

I Have Been Having Problems With Emotional Eating Please Help?

Depression making it hard to lose weight?

Postby vanderbilt71 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 am

I am 5 feet 5 inches with a small bone frame. Last year after the winter sports season ended ( I wrestled) I went from 110 pounds to 118 within one month, but I was doing track and field ( throwing), but it wasn't as much exercise as wrestling, thats why I gained 8 pounds so rapidly, plus I was eating due to stress sometimes. Now, this school year I was able to maintain my weight at 118-121 pounds, but recently I've gotten really stressed and somedays I feel pretty depressed so I've been emotional eating and I went from 119 to 127 pounds in 2 weeks which is not good, and I don't feel good about myself. How do I stop overeating from stress and depression because I'm worried about my health. I'm 16 by the way.
vanderbilt71

Postby micah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 am

Well, you've already identified the underlying issues as stress. So, I'd say that for now, you do something called transferring your addiction. You began using food as a coping mechanism to distort and perpetuate your stress and depression. After coming out of a treatment facility that was very sheltered, things on the outside get me very stressed as well, where I'd use both food as well as cigarettes to cope with the feeling. So whenever I am randomly craving a cigarette or wanting to eat excessively or plentifully, I can automatically tell that I'm feeling stressed. I use gum to cope with these feelings and also use some tools that I've learned from a book that I think could help you out a lot. It's called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...and it's All Small Stuff." The tools are easy to apply and really work. I just turned 17 btw, so you can still use all of his advice.
micah

Return to Depression & Weight Loss