Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Hypothyroid With Betablockers?

Postby mitchel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:58 pm

Can anyone give me some personal details on beta blockers with hypothyroidism, or just about beta blockers in general. I'm confused by what i'm reading online. I have congenital hypothyroidism ( im about to go 30 in less than 2 wks ) & have just been told i'll be needing beta blockers for irregular heart beats, ectopic beats & a form of anxiety disorder. Can anyone give me some info please, Are they ok? Could they affect weightloss as i'm currently following slimming world & have lost a stone so far (in 8wks). I'm getting worried again thinking the new medication will make me gain weight.
mitchel

Postby Wyn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 pm

The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland that sits low on the front of the neck. Your thyroid lies below your Adam?s apple, along the front of the windpipe. The thyroid has two side lobes, connected by a bridge (isthmus) in the middle. When the thyroid is its normal size, you?re unlikely to be able to feel it.

All types of hyperthyroidism are due to overproduction of thyroid hormones, but the condition can develop in several ways.

Thyroid hormone production can be suppressed or halted completely in these ways: https://tr.im/eN96l
Wyn

Postby Gedaliah » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Betablockers shouldn't effect your thyroid function as they are to slow your heart beat down hence bringing your a feel of peace and calm. There is a possibility that if you are taking your thyroid medication with beta blocker's, they may be interfering with the absorption of thyroid medication hence making you feel hypothyroid.
Gedaliah

Postby Kafeel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:03 pm

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aD6ji

A heart rate over 200 is likely to represent an arrthymia, an irregular heart beat. This would be unrelated to the beta blocker, and needs investigating on its own.
Kafeel

Postby Durward » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:06 pm

I knew someone who was hyperthyroid and his doctor put him on steroids to gain weight. I personally was hyperthyroid and had radioactive iodine treatment and I started to feel better about 2 or 3 months after. I noticed I started gaining weight about 5 lbs every year. Now I am about 10 lbs over my recommended weight for my age and height but find it almost impossible to lose any weight.

Just make sure you get proper treatment as a thyroid problem is more delicate than what people think. Also a good doctor who listens to you really helps. Good luck.
Durward

Postby Mariner » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:12 pm

I was already on Beta blockers when I became hypothyroid.

I am pleased that you have been able to lose weight with this thyroid problem..... I have not!

I found that the beta blockers slowed me down a lot.....which is what they are supposed to do. I take them for high blood pressure.

I am sure you will be fine and congratulations on your weight loss!
Mariner

Postby Keven » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:14 pm

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

hypothyroid with betablockers?

Can anyone give me some personal details on beta blockers with hypothyroidism, or just about beta blockers in general. I'm confused by what i'm reading online. I have congenital hypothyroidism ( im about to go 30 in less than 2 wks ) & have just been told i'll be needing beta blockers...
Keven

Postby kavan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Thyroid disease is one of the most common health problems we face today. From a practical standpoint, there are many ways to approach this issue. Learn here https://tinyurl.im/aH77s Hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid, is a very common problem, and there are many reasons for this, including drinking chlorinated and fluoridated water, and eating brominated flour. Chlorine, fluoride, and bromine are all in the same family as iodine, and can displace iodine in your thyroid gland. Secondly, many people simply aren't getting enough iodine in their diet to begin with. The amount you get from iodized salt is just barely enough to prevent you from getting a goiter.
kavan

Postby Theros » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Theros

Postby Adnot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Hello.

Beta blockers basically slow the heart down.
You either had premature atrial contractions or premature ventricular contractions from the sounds of things.
These are quite harmless but beta blockers can reduce symptoms (if you had any), prevent them for occuring and prevent other more serious heart arryhthmias.

Some beta blockers cause weight gain and hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol in the blood).
However, many don't cause significant weight gain.
I encourage you to speak to your doctor about the side effects of the drug he/she is prescribing.
Since weight gain is a serious issue, your doctors are unlikely to prescribe beta blockers which can cause this.

I hope that helped
Adnot

Next

Return to Slimming World