Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

How To Lose Weight After Celexa (citalopram)?

Depression making it hard to lose weight?

Postby Vernon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:28 pm

I was put on a low dose of Celexa to help with social anxiety and depression. I was taking 15mg a day. I was supposed to be on the medication for a 6 month period but ended up cutting it short once the weight gain really started to get bad. In hindsight, I know this was dumb because I experienced some pretty horrible withdrawal symptoms and it was pretty dangerous to just cut it cold turkey. Honestly, the medication did its job but I found myself gaining near 50 pounds in 4 months. I have always been an incredibly active individual (I played college hockey and still play for fun, along with several other sports).

I got myself in the gym every day sometimes twice a day doing pretty intense workouts (both cardio and weights). I tried everything from 5 small meals a day to under 1000 calories a day to liquid diet. None of which made a difference. I am 5'6" and have always weighed between 145 and 155. When I stopped the Celexa I was at 207. I was eating healthier than ever while on the med. Upon speaking with my physician, I was told to get on a structured program.

I started nutrisystem (my insurance covers a large portion of the cost) a month and a half ago. I have followed it to a T, even cutting out coffee and other caffeine and making a significant decrease in my alcohol consumption. I am not in the gym quite as much due to school. I am consuming between 1100 and 1300 calories a day spread out through 5 small meals daily. I have been on it for about a month and a half and have seen NO change.

I don't know what to do and am so frustrated. Quite frankly, it's more depressing and causing more social anxiety to be this big. I have been off Celexa since about a week before Thanksgiving. Will this EVER come off?? What can I do?? PLEASE HELP!
Vernon

Postby Trowbrydge » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Getting rid of the excess pounds is a long term project, weight needs to go as gradually as it was gained.

Indulge a small bit less then burn off a little bit more, and be constant.. practice it every day without having to overdoing it however, go forward year after year, perhaps five years.

cheers :)
Trowbrydge

Postby Carlson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Stay at arm's length from sugar, starches and unhealthy oils. Drink whole lots of fluid, healthier fruits & vegetables, walnuts & walk at least one-half an hour a day to start!

good luck!
Carlson

Postby Jamie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Burning fat is a long term project, unwanted weight has to be burned as gradually as it was gotten.

Feed a bit less and shed a little bit more, and be persistent... do it just about every single day with out overdoing it however continue over the years, maybe 5 years.

Hope that I helped, drive safe out there...

RE:

How to lose weight after Celexa (Citalopram)?

I was put on a low dose of Celexa to help with social anxiety and depression. I was taking 15mg a day. I was supposed to be on the medication for a 6 month period but ended up cutting it short once the weight gain really started to get bad. In hindsight, I know this was dumb because I experienced some pretty horrible withdrawal symptoms and it was pretty dangerous to just cut it cold turkey. Honestly, the medication did its job but I found myself gaining near 50 pounds in 4 months. I have always been an incredibly active individual (I played college hockey and still play for fun, along with several other sports).

I got myself in the gym every day sometimes twice a day doing pretty intense workouts (both cardio and weights). I tried everything from 5 small meals a day to under 1000 calories a day to liquid diet. None of which made a difference. I am 5'6" and have always weighed between 145 and 155. When I stopped the Celexa I was at 207. I was eating healthier than ever while on the med. Upon speaking with my physician, I was told to get on a structured program.

I started nutrisystem (my insurance covers a large portion of the cost) a month and a half ago. I have followed it to a T, even cutting out coffee and other caffeine and making a significant decrease in my alcohol consumption. I am not in the gym quite as much due to school. I am consuming between 1100 and 1300 calories a day spread out through 5 small meals daily. I have been on it for about a month and a half and have seen NO change.

I don's more depressing and causing more social anxiety to be this big. I have been off Celexa since about a week before Thanksgiving. Will this EVER come off?? What can I do?? PLEASE HELP!
Jamie

Postby Larry » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Larry

Postby Farrs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

prepare food less foods
Farrs

Postby Wynthrop » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm

I was on Zoloft and the exact same thing happened to me. I gained 30lbs in 4 months. I went off the Zoloft last April, and have lost most of the weight (in correlation with working out - I bike 10 miles a day). For most people, I think it takes about a year to completely get back to normal. I started out at 148lbs and am now at 123lbs and am 5'5". Zoloft did wonders for my anxiety too, but the side effects are so not worth it. If you're experiencing a lot of anxiety right now, believe me, it's normal. It took months before I felt more 'levelled' out. I'm still struggling with anxiety and depression, but it's getting easier and I'm glad I'm no longer on medication for it.
Wynthrop

Postby Hector » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Get rid of the maximum amount of garbage as you possibly can.
Hector

Postby Forba » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm

It is unlikely this weight gain was due to Celexa. Patients treated with citalopram in controlled trials experienced a weight loss of about 0.5 kg compared with no change for placebo patients. A slight weight gain may happen, but your 20 pounds may be due to a lifestyle change. Decrease your total calories and do a bit of cardio and you should see those pounds fall off. I hope the medication is working for you. Good luck.
Forba

Postby Nijel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Just taking a thirty min power walking and reducing down on calories help lose body mass

take care *_*
Nijel

Next

Return to Depression & Weight Loss