Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

How To Lose Stubborn Last 25 Lbs And Body Fat In A Healthy Way Without Losing Or Gaining Muscle Mass?

How To Lose Stubborn Last 25 Lbs And Body Fat In A Healthy Way Without Losing Or Gaining Muscle Mass?

Postby Kildaire » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

Okay, 25 lbs left to lose but also having extra fat stores on waist, calves, upper arms as leftovers from weight already lost - stubborn fat stores which seem to be genetically distributed(ie all the women in the family have fat upper arms) but it's just fat right? However, muscle mass is already at it's acceptable size, ie - not wanting to risk adding inches(regardless if it's muscle) to arms, butt, thighs. Doesn't want to LOSE muscle mass either though. For added complexity, said person cannot RUN, JOG, or do other lung exerting exercises(can't even lift extremely heavy weights at risk of oxygen levels dropping).
Kildaire

Postby Corrick » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:46 am

Judi said: 1 It is a simple math equation. Calories in, Calories out. Fruits and vegetables give you LOTS for volume for the calories so fill your diet with lots of them. Here's the math:Women- 11 calories X your weight equals your maintenance calories. Add exercise to buy more calories. For example, I weigh 140 lbs. To maintain my weight I can only eat 1540 calories per day. If I want to eat more, I have to exercise. That explains why you loose weight so much faster when you have more to loose. If I wanted to loose weight and get down to 130 lbs, I would have to get my calories down to 1430 per day or maybe 1500 calories per day and 70 exercise calories per day, or 1700 calories per day plus 270 exercise calories per day. Men get to multiply their weight by 13. It's just not fair!Hope this helps. 80 months ago
Corrick

Postby Tighe » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 am

I lost about twenty pounds over the last two years without any tricks. I have fresh vegetable juice a few times a week and walk quite a bit. I am not so hungry when I have enough nutritious food. I also rarely buy, or have in the house, many tempting sweets. I'm never 'on a diet,' I just stay sensible. I've seen a lot of friends work hard on losing a certain amount, then get big again once they've accomplished their goal. I've just been behaving differently about food and time for myself since my kids got out of school and I can pay better attention to my own care. I like this. I think I will be able to live like this from here on.
Tighe

Postby Muircheartaigh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:22 pm

This sounds counter-intuitive, but I think lifting weights would help. If you want to lose fat, you have to be at a caloric deficit. While at a caloric deficit, if you don't weight train, you will lose muscle mass. The tricky aspect of this problem is finding the right balance. Since they can't lift extremely heavy weights, the risk of overbuilding muscle drops drastically.The second option would be to forget about muscle growth while you're losing, just go all out, and then adjust activity and maintenence level once you reach your fat loss goal- the muscles will go back to their original size and shape once you stop stressing them.I'd recommend checking out this page for some workout ideas: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1305014(warning: he uses coarse language). I don't really agree with it 100%, but I don't lift for aesthetics.The other important aspect to weight loss is diet. Ensuring you have sufficient protein will make keeping muscle tone a lot easier. To figure out what you should eat, go look up your resting metabolic rate here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html. Eat about 200 calories below maintenance to get steady fat loss. Eating whole grains, fiber and plenty of protein will keep you full. Eating healthily doesn't mean you're stuck with tasteless food, though. Try using more spices in cooking rather than oils and fats, and space your meals out into 5-6 times per day to keep from reducing metabolism.Stay hydrated! Quick-fix diets will often work impressively because you shed water weight, and then when you go back to eating as normal you get those stores right back again.Getting some form of cardio activity will help speed this all along. Do what you can with what you have- getting out and walking every day is better than being completely inactive.Don't get tied to a number on a scale, because that can often set up a vicious cycle of yo-yo dieting. Take measurements and see how they're progressing, and remember that everyone's weight can fluctuate up to a few pounds each way over the course of a day, so wait a while to see how trends are working.If you notice that you're gaining too much muscle somewhere(via the tape measurements that you're using to track progress), cut down on the volume of weight training for that part. Sources: This is my opinion. dondon 80 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Muircheartaigh

Postby Hackett » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:27 am

Gradually losing by changing eating habits and walking works I lost about twenty pounds over the last two years without any tricks. I have fresh vegetable juice a few times a week and walk quite a bit. I am not so hungry when I have enough nutritious food. I also rarely buy, or have in the house, many tempting sweets. I'm never 'on a diet,' I just stay sensible. I've seen a lot of friends work hard on losing a certain amount, then get big again once they've accomplished their goal. I've just been behaving differently about food and time for myself since my kids got out of school and I can pay better attention to my own care. I like this. I think I will be able to live like this from here on. Sources: My own experience newbie2465822 80 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Hackett

Postby Birley » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:35 am

If you want to lose fat, you have to be at a caloric deficit. While at a caloric deficit, if you don't weight train, you will lose muscle mass. The tricky aspect of this problem is finding the right balance. Since they can't lift extremely heavy weights, the risk of overbuilding muscle drops drastically.The second option would be to forget about muscle growth while you're losing, just go all out, and then adjust activity and maintenence level once you reach your fat loss goal- the muscles will go back to their original size and shape once you stop stressing them.I'd recommend checking out this page for some workout ideas: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1305014(warning: he uses coarse language). I don't really agree with it 100%, but I don't lift for aesthetics.The other important aspect to weight loss is diet. Ensuring you have sufficient protein will make keeping muscle tone a lot easier. To figure out what you should eat, go look up your resting metabolic rate here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html. Eat about 200 calories below maintenance to get steady fat loss. Eating whole grains, fiber and plenty of protein will keep you full. Eating healthily doesn't mean you're stuck with tasteless food, though. Try using more spices in cooking rather than oils and fats, and space your meals out into 5-6 times per day to keep from reducing metabolism.Stay hydrated! Quick-fix diets will often work impressively because you shed water weight, and then when you go back to eating as normal you get those stores right back again.Getting some form of cardio activity will help speed this all along. Do what you can with what you have- getting out and walking every day is better than being completely inactive.Don't get tied to a number on a scale, because that can often set up a vicious cycle of yo-yo dieting. Take measurements and see how they're progressing, and remember that everyone's weight can fluctuate up to a few pounds each way over the course of a day, so wait a while to see how trends are working.If you notice that you're gaining too much muscle somewhere(via the tape measurements that you're using to track progress), cut down on the volume of weight training for that part.
Birley

Postby Salhtun » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:19 am

It is a simple math equation. Calories in, Calories out. Fruits and vegetables give you LOTS for volume for the calories so fill your diet with lots of them. Here's the math:Women- 11 calories X your weight equals your maintenance calories. Add exercise to buy more calories. For example, I weigh 140 lbs. To maintain my weight I can only eat 1540 calories per day. If I want to eat more, I have to exercise. That explains why you loose weight so much faster when you have more to loose. If I wanted to loose weight and get down to 130 lbs, I would have to get my calories down to 1430 per day or maybe 1500 calories per day and 70 exercise calories per day, or 1700 calories per day plus 270 exercise calories per day. Men get to multiply their weight by 13. It's just not fair!Hope this helps.
Salhtun

Postby Feldon » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 pm

My advice would be to cut out as many carbs as possible. A few carbs in the morning would probably be ok, but after that avoid carbs at all costs. Without allowing for most kinds of exercise, this is the only real way I can think of to lose weight. Remember that fat loss is not localized(i.e. doing arm exercises will not make you lose fat on your arms).
Feldon

Postby Tiis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 am

Since most excercise isn't an option, it has to be a diet change. My advice would be to cut out as many carbs as possible. A few carbs in the morning would probably be ok, but after that avoid carbs at all costs. Without allowing for most kinds of exercise, this is the only real way I can think of to lose weight. Remember that fat loss is not localized(i.e. doing arm exercises will not make you lose fat on your arms). Sources: My Opinion newbie2305861 80 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Tiis

Return to Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle