How Do I Stop Sea Sickness?

Discuss Food Addiction

Postby Voisttitoevetz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 am

I get so sea sick how can I stop it?
Voisttitoevetz

Postby Bevan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:21 am

Here are some things to try............ Of course the first thing most people are going to suggest is taking a motion sickness medication like Dramamine. It does have the side effect of making you drowsy, but heard they have a new formula that is supposed to be less drowsy. Plus you can go to your doctor and there is a tiny dot thing they give you to place behind your ear(on the side of your head) that helps with motion sickness. A lot of people also swear by ginger for upset stomach(from the sea sickness/motion illness). You can get ginger capsules, or a health food store would have various forms of ginger. I myself, keep a pack of candied ginger on hand for upset stomach. It really does work for me. However, be prepared for it to be hot. So have water or such on hand to help cool your mouth. And it takes only a nibble most times to get enough to help. The ginger capsules are always suggested to take with food(since they can be hard on some people's stomachs).  I know of several other people who use ginger for upset stomach's/very sick to their stomach. lostmymarbles 89 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Bevan

Postby Hanlon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 pm

Meclizine works for me I have bad motion sickness for which I take either Bonine or Dramamine II.  It makes me much less drowsy than original Dramamine.  However, original Dramamine does work, and I?ll take it if it is the only thing at the drug store. Ginger helps, too.  I relied on that when I was pregnant.  I found some crystallized ginger candy at Trader Joe and kept it close to hand for 9 months.  Make sure the product contains lots of real ginger, and not just ginger flavoring.  You can also make ginger tea by slicing some up and boiling it in water for about 20 minutes, and it tastes very nice with honey and lemon. Those wrist bands don?t work at all.  Save your money and don?t buy them.  Trebuchet5A 89 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Hanlon

Postby Seaburt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:27 pm

Ginger pills. Saw it on Mythbusters. Sources: Mythbusters. AlgaeNymph 89 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Seaburt

Postby dario » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:40 pm

There are several methods for dealing with seasickness, but in my experience it's a highly individual problem, so you may have to use trial and error to figure out what works for you. First, prevention: Know your triggers. Some people get sick if they stay below deck or anywhere with no windows so they can't see the horizon and orient themselves. Looking through binoculars, reading a book, using a laptop, or any other detailed work that requires you to fix your eyes on something stationary can trigger a bout of seasickness. If there are activities that seem to lead to you getting sick, avoid them(that may seem simple, but it took me far too long to realize that I cannot read in a car without getting sick, even if I'm just reading the face of playing cards, so maybe there are triggers you're ignoring?). Mind your peripheral vision. You get seasick because your physical senses know that you're moving, but visual cues are telling your body that it's stationary. The disagreement between the two makes you sick. If you can't prevent it: If you don't want/need to be awake for the journey(for a ferry crossing instead of a cruise, for instance), try dramamine or gravol. Even if they can't knock down your seasickness, they'll put you to sleep so you don't have to experience it. If you want to be awake, ginger is a great natural anti-nausea cure. Ginger ale works particularly well, since carbonation can help to settle your stomach. There are also acupressure bracelets which are supposed to trigger a pressure point that suppresses seasickness. I don't think these are terribly effective, but most of the people I've known who've tried them didn't believe very strongly that they would work, and belief seems to be a key factor in getting relief from them(the placebo effect can be a good thing sometimes!)- I hope I haven't jinxed that for you by mentioning doubts.
dario

Postby Birtle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Saw it on Mythbusters.
Birtle

Postby Gerritt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:14 am

I have bad motion sickness for which I take either Bonine or Dramamine II.  It makes me much less drowsy than original Dramamine.  However, original Dramamine does work, and I?ll take it if it is the only thing at the drug store. Ginger helps, too.  I relied on that when I was pregnant.  I found some crystallized ginger candy at Trader Joe and kept it close to hand for 9 months.  Make sure the product contains lots of real ginger, and not just ginger flavoring.  You can also make ginger tea by slicing some up and boiling it in water for about 20 minutes, and it tastes very nice with honey and lemon. Those wrist bands don?t work at all.  Save your money and don?t buy them. 
Gerritt

Postby Telfor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:05 am

Of course the first thing most people are going to suggest is taking a motion sickness medication like Dramamine. It does have the side effect of making you drowsy, but heard they have a new formula that is supposed to be less drowsy. Plus you can go to your doctor and there is a tiny dot thing they give you to place behind your ear(on the side of your head) that helps with motion sickness. A lot of people also swear by ginger for upset stomach(from the sea sickness/motion illness). You can get ginger capsules, or a health food store would have various forms of ginger. I myself, keep a pack of candied ginger on hand for upset stomach. It really does work for me. However, be prepared for it to be hot. So have water or such on hand to help cool your mouth. And it takes only a nibble most times to get enough to help. The ginger capsules are always suggested to take with food(since they can be hard on some people's stomachs).  I know of several other people who use ginger for upset stomach's/very sick to their stomach.
Telfor

Postby Ruailidh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Some suggestions... There are several methods for dealing with seasickness, but in my experience it's a highly individual problem, so you may have to use trial and error to figure out what works for you. First, prevention: Know your triggers. Some people get sick if they stay below deck or anywhere with no windows so they can't see the horizon and orient themselves. Looking through binoculars, reading a book, using a laptop, or any other detailed work that requires you to fix your eyes on something stationary can trigger a bout of seasickness. If there are activities that seem to lead to you getting sick, avoid them(that may seem simple, but it took me far too long to realize that I cannot read in a car without getting sick, even if I'm just reading the face of playing cards, so maybe there are triggers you're ignoring?). Mind your peripheral vision. You get seasick because your physical senses know that you're moving, but visual cues are telling your body that it's stationary. The disagreement between the two makes you sick. If you can't prevent it: If you don't want/need to be awake for the journey(for a ferry crossing instead of a cruise, for instance), try dramamine or gravol. Even if they can't knock down your seasickness, they'll put you to sleep so you don't have to experience it. If you want to be awake, ginger is a great natural anti-nausea cure. Ginger ale works particularly well, since carbonation can help to settle your stomach. There are also acupressure bracelets which are supposed to trigger a pressure point that suppresses seasickness. I don't think these are terribly effective, but most of the people I've known who've tried them didn't believe very strongly that they would work, and belief seems to be a key factor in getting relief from them(the placebo effect can be a good thing sometimes!)- I hope I haven't jinxed that for you by mentioning doubts. Callisto 89 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Ruailidh

Return to Compulsive Overeating