Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

How Do I Keep My Very Sick Cat Comfortable?

Talk about anything related to losing weight

Postby Aescwyn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 am

I took my cat to the vet yesterday morning after noticing he was very lethargic, not eating and throwing up over the weekend. The vet says he has an enlarged heart/inflammation which is a common ailment in his breed (Main Coon). He's 10 years old and I've had him since I was a baby so I'm heartbroken. I've been giving him his pills, keeping water/food in my room where he likes to sleep. Every now and then I bring the water and food to him just in case he is too weak to walk over to it himself. So clearly, my family and I are doing what we can, but he's lost some weight and is still looking pretty bad. Is there something more I can do? I feel so helpless and am just praying his medicine helps, but it hurts so bad to see him this way :(
Aescwyn

Postby Johnston » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 am

He would be having a pancreatic assault because of the ham. If the pancreas turns into infected or indignant it might purpose vomiting and/or diarrhea, and of direction lethargy. There can also be actually 100 different issues that could purpose vomiting and lethargy, He must be evaluated via a veterinarian.
Johnston

Postby Leo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 am

That's awful. :(

Did you ask the vet what his chances are? And did she give you a time frame as to when you should see improvement? In my experience, if an animal doesn't start to improve within a week (2 at the most), they probably aren't going to. I don't think there's much more you can do for him aside from giving him his medicine and keeping him hydrated. Have you tried offering him canned food? Sometimes that helps. You can also put warm water in his dry food. You don't want to medicate him with no food in his tummy.

Hope everything turns out okay.
Leo

Postby Prewitt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 am

You are doing everything you can and I am sure he is as comfortable as he could possibly be and has everything he needs and wants.

I hope his medication works and he recovers.
Prewitt

Postby hughes » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 am

Hello, My cat is a cousin to yours, a Norwegian Forest Cat and I have been treating her for diabetes the last 6 years and she is food controlled diabetic no more insulin and it was thanks to the advice in the feline diabetic group.
She also got out a year ago last summer and must have licked some poison.
She is now in kidney failure.
But I do alots of work on her for that.

What I am heading for is your boy should be on a canned food diet with high protein and low carbohydrates.
When feeding him the canned add some water to it so he laps a lot of it.
I don't have it watery just so it isn't in a chunk in the dish and so she gets more fluids.

I wish you and your boy good luck and that he can be given many more years with you through either full recovery or medical help.
hughes

Postby Dickons » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 am

It's always hard to watch an animal suffer. Especially if you've had him your whole life. Sounds like your doing all the right things though and I guess it's just a case of hoping the medicine will work. I love maine coons. Hope it turns out for the better. Hold onto hope. :)
Dickons

Postby Jesiah » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 am

Thank you for all of your support. It does mean a lot.

The vet said the medicine will only prolong his life, and that this is and irreversible effect of disease of old age. She also said he's not in pain, just disoriented from the meds, which oddly enough is comforting. He drank a little on his own today and we managed to feed him some too. Right now my family and I are just working on keeping him at ease, hydrated and top of the meds. This is so hard to deal with, but we're doing all we can.
Jesiah

Return to General Weight Loss Chat