Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

How Do I Clear Out My Start Menu On My Computer

Postby Thurhloew » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:57 am

I want to clean out my start menu - it is so crammed it is slowing down my computer.
Thurhloew

Postby Jethro » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:32 am

Your start menu does not slow down your computer... it is merely a set of links to installed programs. Those installed programs do not slow it down either, unless they have been launched and are running. What slows down your computer are runnings programs. But if you still want to clean up your start menu, right click Start > Explore and a Windows Explorer panel will open up. You can then look around the Start Menu folder and arrange or delete shortcuts. If it is not on, click on the folders button so the folder tree shows up in the left hand pane. Look for the Administrator folder under Documents and Settings and in it you will find another Start Menu folder. The difference is that the first folder only contains items that work under your user profile; the Start Menu folder under Administrator works for all users. If you have other user profiles, then may also have Start Menu items. Note that if you delete an item from the start menu, you are not deleting the program, just a shortcut to the program. If you later want to run the program, your have to find it in the Program Files folder. pfzlsk 82 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Jethro

Postby Darcell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 am

If you have too many programs installed, you can uninstall them.  The exact mantra for that depends on your version of Windows, but I always go to Start->Settings->Control Panel, which brings up the control panel, then "Add or Remove Programs".  That'll let you delete programs. If you don't want to delete the program, but just the entry in the Start menu, you can right-click on the menu item, then select Delete.  It'll warn you that you're deleting the shortcut, not the program itself.
Darcell

Postby Cuddy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 pm

There are a few ways, but I suggest you do the following to make your computer run faster... Most computers start fast, and as you add software get 'clogged' up with files, unwanted software running in the background, bad installs and program removal.    I suggest to help your computer run faster you do the following:   Uninstall any program your no longer running.  Use the Add/Remove programs feature via your Control Pannel.  Less programs installed is like cleaning your garage, it looks better, and it's easier for your computer to find what you Really use. This will help you control your startup.  Download and Run Ccleaner.  It has been uninstalled over 110 MILLION times, is Free and works great.  I have it on all my computers.  You can see all the great things it does for you HERE.  You can downoad it for free HERE.   * This program has a cleanup feature, that cleans up old files.  The first time I ran it, it cleaned around 900 MB of un needed files from my hard drive.  It then has a Registry cleaner/fixer.  Run this to fix bad or damaged registry entries.  Lastly for you it has a Startup control screen.  Everything that starts up on your computer each time you boot up, is displayed.  If you see programs and applications you DON'T want starting, remove or uncheck them one at a time and see if that helps.  You'll be suprised at all the 'extra' programs you may have! Ok, so you cleaned your hard drive of unwanted programs, cleaned up old files, fixed your registry and adjusted your startup.  You'll need to do two last things.  Do a Windows Cleanup and Defrag via Start, Applications, System tools.  This will remove more unneeded files and place data on your hard drive for quicker access.  You should also run your Virus protection, full scan and Spy Bot Search and Destroy.  This will remove additional unwanted files that may be installed.  To get this Free program, download it HERE. The advice above WILL help fix your situation, good luck.  Sources: Personal Experience, sites above. Scarecrow 82 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Cuddy

Postby Baylen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:32 am

Most computers start fast, and as you add software get 'clogged' up with files, unwanted software running in the background, bad installs and program removal.    I suggest to help your computer run faster you do the following:   Uninstall any program your no longer running.  Use the Add/Remove programs feature via your Control Pannel.  Less programs installed is like cleaning your garage, it looks better, and it's easier for your computer to find what you Really use. This will help you control your startup.  Download and Run Ccleaner.  It has been uninstalled over 110 MILLION times, is Free and works great.  I have it on all my computers.  You can see all the great things it does for you HERE.  You can downoad it for free HERE.   * This program has a cleanup feature, that cleans up old files.  The first time I ran it, it cleaned around 900 MB of un needed files from my hard drive.  It then has a Registry cleaner/fixer.  Run this to fix bad or damaged registry entries.  Lastly for you it has a Startup control screen.  Everything that starts up on your computer each time you boot up, is displayed.  If you see programs and applications you DON'T want starting, remove or uncheck them one at a time and see if that helps.  You'll be suprised at all the 'extra' programs you may have! Ok, so you cleaned your hard drive of unwanted programs, cleaned up old files, fixed your registry and adjusted your startup.  You'll need to do two last things.  Do a Windows Cleanup and Defrag via Start, Applications, System tools.  This will remove more unneeded files and place data on your hard drive for quicker access.  You should also run your Virus protection, full scan and Spy Bot Search and Destroy.  This will remove additional unwanted files that may be installed.  To get this Free program, download it HERE. The advice above WILL help fix your situation, good luck. 
Baylen

Postby macclennan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Uninstall, or delete If you have too many programs installed, you can uninstall them.  The exact mantra for that depends on your version of Windows, but I always go to Start->Settings->Control Panel, which brings up the control panel, then "Add or Remove Programs".  That'll let you delete programs. If you don't want to delete the program, but just the entry in the Start menu, you can right-click on the menu item, then select Delete.  It'll warn you that you're deleting the shortcut, not the program itself. PamPerdue 82 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
macclennan

Postby Jaden » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:17 pm

it is merely a set of links to installed programs. Those installed programs do not slow it down either, unless they have been launched and are running. What slows down your computer are runnings programs. But if you still want to clean up your start menu, right click Start > Explore and a Windows Explorer panel will open up. You can then look around the Start Menu folder and arrange or delete shortcuts. If it is not on, click on the folders button so the folder tree shows up in the left hand pane. Look for the Administrator folder under Documents and Settings and in it you will find another Start Menu folder. The difference is that the first folder only contains items that work under your user profile; the Start Menu folder under Administrator works for all users. If you have other user profiles, then may also have Start Menu items. Note that if you delete an item from the start menu, you are not deleting the program, just a shortcut to the program. If you later want to run the program, your have to find it in the Program Files folder.
Jaden

Return to Sonoma Diet