Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Food Labels... Just How Precise Are They? Can We Take The Amounts Of Dietary Ingredients Listed At Face Value?

Food Labels... Just How Precise Are They? Can We Take The Amounts Of Dietary Ingredients Listed At Face Value?

Postby Vallis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:02 am

Good Morning America hired a lab to test the accuracy of some food labels...their study shows that 0gr of Trans fat doesn't mean that at all... that some products contain .25 grams of Trans fat or more and are still labeled as 0 gr of fat... according to the FDA their acceptable standard for labeling of 0 gr of fat is not to include more than the .25 allowed... it sounds a bit contradictory when the FDA says we are supposed to avoid over consumption of Trans fat altogether... studies were done on Wonder bread, Ritz Crackers, Oreo lights, and Weight Watchers BB muffins... Weight Watchers actually contained less than .25 0 gr Trans fat than it had listed on their label...what do you think about the food labels being accurate? do you feel that they are suspect for inaccuracy? how does this independent study affect your concerns?what's your take? ;-D
Vallis

Postby Shimshon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:09 am

Labes are very confusing I think alot of the food industry is still pis7^%$ off that they ever had to do this. I always read the labels and the ingredients, however you have to pay attention to serving size. My mom is constantly buying something she thinks is "low in salt" and have to tell her it only looks low, because that is for ONE serving and the can has 3.3 servings. Also the FDA has different rules for ingredients....salt can be called by many names. MSG has 29 different names, and the list goes on. Never mind the food dyes and all the allergents in the food. You have to arm yourself with a book that clearly tells you what all the food labels mean and what the ingredients truly represent If you think our food is bad, you should educate yourself on pet food. Until 4 years ago I had NO idea what the ingredients in pet food actually meant...and what MEAT BYPRODUCTS consists of.....its very bad. I think you have to use alot of common sense and arm yourself with knowledge when it comes to buying your food.   buffee's Recommendations In Bad Taste: The Msg Symptom Complex : How Monosodium Glutamate Is a Major Cause of Treatable and Preventable Illnesses, Such As Headaches, Asthma, Epilepsy, heart Amazon List Price: $14.95 Used from: $21.45 Average Customer Rating: 5.0 out of 5(based on 5 reviews) Twinkie, Deconstructed: My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods Are Grown, Mined(Yes, Mined), and Manipulated Into What America Eats Amazon List Price: $23.95 Used from: $5.55 Average Customer Rating: 4.5 out of 5(based on 21 reviews) Good Food, Bad Foods: What's Left to Eat? Amazon List Price: $19.95 Used from: $0.01 A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives: Descriptions in Plain English of More Than 12,000 Ingredients Both Harmful and Desirable Found in Foods(Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives) Amazon List Price: $16.95 Used from: $10.35 Average Customer Rating: 4.5 out of 5(based on 18 reviews) Dictionary of Food Ingredients, Fourth Edition Amazon List Price: $55.00 Used from: $57.05 Average Customer Rating: 5.0 out of 5(based on 3 reviews) buffee 79 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Shimshon

Postby Durand » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:30 am

I think alot of the food industry is still pis7^%$ off that they ever had to do this. I always read the labels and the ingredients, however you have to pay attention to serving size. My mom is constantly buying something she thinks is "low in salt" and have to tell her it only looks low, because that is for ONE serving and the can has 3.3 servings. Also the FDA has different rules for ingredients....salt can be called by many names. MSG has 29 different names, and the list goes on. Never mind the food dyes and all the allergents in the food. You have to arm yourself with a book that clearly tells you what all the food labels mean and what the ingredients truly represent If you think our food is bad, you should educate yourself on pet food. Until 4 years ago I had NO idea what the ingredients in pet food actually meant...and what MEAT BYPRODUCTS consists of.....its very bad. I think you have to use alot of common sense and arm yourself with knowledge when it comes to buying your food.
Durand

Return to Weight Watchers Diet