Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Fishtank Cloudy Still ?

Learn about Food Nutrition

Fishtank Cloudy Still ?

Postby Ealadhach » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 am

I have cleaned my fish tank and done a few 80% water changes it already a well established tank I regularly vacuume left over food and dirt it has a good fine filter with activated carbon but the tank is still cloudy and yet I don't over feed the fish and it might be algae but my tank doesn't get that much light please help
Ealadhach

Fishtank Cloudy Still ?

Postby Lindell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:06 am

Water changes over 25% can cause cloudiness in themselves. They can also stress the fish.
Is there sponge or a fibrous mat in the filter? With smaller more frequent water changes, those filter media will have some dirt in them, allowing them to capture smaller and smaller particles than they could when first used.

If the cloudiness is green, it is single cell algae or Euglena, a creature with both plant and animal characteristics. It can move and it can photosynthesize.

A sponge filter will harbor rotifers, almost microscopic animals that love to eat algae and Euglena. It may take a few weeks but rotifers are responsible for most of the times green water suddenly is "cured". The last stupid magic bottle or magnet wrapped around a pump that you bought gets the credit, but it was the rotifers.

To safely remove both green and gray cloudiness use a Vortex Diatom filter. This is what professional aquarium maintenance companies use when they fix up your tank. It has a micron size coating of diatomaceous earth inside it that captures everything a micron or bigger across. Then you take off the Vortex and discard the spent powder. You may have to repeat it after the first time, but the need to repeat gets farther apart each time.

To tell if the cloudiness is green or gray when it is not obvious, get a sheet of white paper. Put it halfway on and half in front of the tank, on either long end of the tank. Look through the tank longways at the paper while looking with the other eye at the paper in front of the tank. This will also let you see for sure when a tank is slightly yellow. Yellow is dissolved organics such as tannins. Some is good for the fish but we can't see their colors well if it gets too intense. Partial water changes will reduce it. Using activated carbon in the filter will eliminate it completely, but it will gradually return.
Lindell

Fishtank Cloudy Still ?

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 am

U should feed your fish. A light up tank looks much more brighter than a tank with no light which could make it cloudy looking. Get a glass and take a sample in the light, if u clean it regularly it will be fine, just get a light and feed your fish, don't be sad
Reg

Return to Food Nutrition