Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Does Anyone Know About Using Topamax For Weight Loss? Does It Work? What's The Dosage?

General Weight Loss Program Discussion

Does Anyone Know About Using Topamax For Weight Loss? Does It Work? What's The Dosage?

Postby warner27 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:13 am

I read that the company that makes it is testing it for approval for weight loss.
warner27

Postby Wilfrid » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:59 am

yes - it definitely does have a side effect of weight loss.  it's normally prescribed as a secondary drug for seizure control.  it's also prescribed to prevent migraines(which is why i took it it).  the migraine-related dose is 100MG/day, starting at 25MG/ day.  when i got up to 50MG/day i was sleepting 14 hours a day, and completely stupid - short term memory was gone. the sleeping, the memory loss and related problems, along with the weight loss are documented in lots of places.  one of the other names for topamax is 'dope- a-max'.   on the positive side, it really did prevent migraines.  the weight loss was about 3 lbs/ week - i just lost all interest in food... and everything else except sleep.
Wilfrid

Postby Aloin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:59 am

Topamax is a drug that if you really want to take it, you would have to start with a low dose and then build it up, if you want to get off you have to do the same thing, otherwise, you could have a seizure.  I have to tell you quite frankly that I have never herd of anyone using it for weight loss.  I was always very, very heavy as a child, and now as an adult, I am a size 4.  So, if you want some advise, just let me hear back from you.  I think there are easier ways to lose weight then to take Topamax.
Aloin

Postby Dereck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Topamax is for seizure disorder, usually Topamax is a drug that if you really want to take it, you would have to start with a low dose and then build it up, if you want to get off you have to do the same thing, otherwise, you could have a seizure.  I have to tell you quite frankly that I have never herd of anyone using it for weight loss.  I was always very, very heavy as a child, and now as an adult, I am a size 4.  So, if you want some advise, just let me hear back from you.  I think there are easier ways to lose weight then to take Topamax. Sources: American Drug Index, 2007 towdy 87 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Dereck

Postby Rowell » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:15 pm

I've heard of topomax being used for mental health issues not losing weight aj0905 87 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Rowell

Postby Corben » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:48 am

towdy said: 1 If it is a well supervised study, I would still go and talk to my doctor, or any M.D., then I would think quite a bit about it before I started on a drug that is an anticonvulsant. 87 months ago
Corben

Postby Iago » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm

~Smiley~ said: 2 My step son took it for a while for seizures and headaches. Unfortunately, he ended up having to wear a helmet to school because it made him dizzy all the time and he fell a lot. He is also overweight and it did nothing to reduce his weight. All it did was hurt him. We finally convinced the doctors to take him off of it. 87 months ago
Iago

Postby Dichali » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:39 pm

If it is a well supervised study, I would still go and talk to my doctor, or any M.D., then I would think quite a bit about it before I started on a drug that is an anticonvulsant.
Dichali

Postby MacAlister » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:26 pm

My step son took it for a while for seizures and headaches. Unfortunately, he ended up having to wear a helmet to school because it made him dizzy all the time and he fell a lot. He is also overweight and it did nothing to reduce his weight. All it did was hurt him. We finally convinced the doctors to take him off of it.
MacAlister

Postby Cathmor » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:50 am

yes - initially; side effects yes - it definitely does have a side effect of weight loss.  it's normally prescribed as a secondary drug for seizure control.  it's also prescribed to prevent migraines(which is why i took it it).  the migraine-related dose is 100MG/day, starting at 25MG/ day.  when i got up to 50MG/day i was sleepting 14 hours a day, and completely stupid - short term memory was gone. the sleeping, the memory loss and related problems, along with the weight loss are documented in lots of places.  one of the other names for topamax is 'dope- a-max'.   on the positive side, it really did prevent migraines.  the weight loss was about 3 lbs/ week - i just lost all interest in food... and everything else except sleep. Mingo 87 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Cathmor

Return to Weight Loss Programs