Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Does Anyone Have A Tried And True Recipe For Butter Cookies?

Healthy Recipes for Weight Loss

Postby Bergin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 am

I can browse the internet all by myself, but I'm hoping for a recipe that someone has actually tried and liked.(read that as no bizarre Wikepedia articles on butter cookies or any other random point that has nothing to do with the question)I always crave them at this time of year and while I'm no expert in the kitchen, I thought I would give it a try.
Bergin

Postby Derald » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:23 pm

These are my three favorites, Enjoy!   Butter Cookies Ingredients 3/4 pound(3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 6 large egg yolks 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour 3/4 teaspoon salt Assorted sprinkles Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Cream the mixture until it is smooth and fluffy. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time, mixing in between each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat for 1 minute and add the vanilla. Combine the flour and the salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until it is fully incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the batter is thick and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle. Lightly flour a flat surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into the desired shapes. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Place the cookies on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool completely in the pan. Remove the cookies from the pan using a spatula. Repeat the process until all the dough is used. Frost each cookie and garnish with sprinkles. BUTTERCREAM FROSTING Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999 4 ounces cream cheese, softened 1/2 stick of butter, softened 3/4 pound(about 3 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2 to 3 tablespoons milk Red, blue, green and yellow food coloring In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the cheese and butter. Add the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the vanilla and milk and mix well. Add a couple of drops of food coloring and mix well. Yield: about 1 1/2 to 2 cups frosting   Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies Ingredients 1(8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature 1 stick butter, at room temperature 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1(18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix Confectioners' sugar, for dusting Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.    Thumbprint Butter Cookies Ingredients 8 ounces(2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature 2/3 cup sugar 1/4 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, soft insides scraped out 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/4 cup apricot, raspberry, or another jam of your choice Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking sheet. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment(or using a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the vanilla scrapings and salt and mix until incorporated. Add the flour and mix at low speed until incorporated. Using your hands, roll the dough into golf-ball-sized balls and arrange them 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet, flattening them out a bit as you go. Using your thumb, press the top of each cookie to make a shallow well. Roll your thumb back and forth to widen the well. Using a small spoon, fill the wells with jam. Bake until very lightly browned around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on the pan. Store in an airtight container.
Derald

Postby Niece » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Poppet! said: 1 Gosh, I haven't made them since I was a kid, using my mom's old Betty Crocker cook book! They were yummy back then! I am interested, though, in those bizarre Wikipedia articles on butter cookies, though! I've never seen a truly bizarre butter cookie! 59 months ago
Niece

Postby Smith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:50 pm

LOL. That was more a commentary on the fact that lately, I've gotten answers to questions that are 2 years old and older. The answers are just random articles or points that have nothing to do with the question.
Smith

Postby Beals » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:53 pm

My Mom's Butter Cookies I wish she were still here to make them.   1 cup margarine(I would use butter) 1 cup sugar 1 egg 2 1/2 cup flour 1 tsp. baking powder 2 tbs. orange juice 1 tsp. vanilla   Cream butter, sugar, egg unti light and fluffy. Beat in flour, baking powder, oj, and vanilla until smooth.  Chill dough 2-3 hours. Preheat oven to 400.Roll out dough 1/2 at a time on floured surface 1/2" thich.  Cut with cookie cutters.  Please on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake near oven center 6-10 minutes or till light brown on edges. Cool on rack.  Frost after.    OR DECORATE BEFORE BAKING.  MAKES ABOUT 6 DOZEN.     pammyj 59 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Beals

Postby Santiago » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:25 am

I wish she were still here to make them.   1 cup margarine(I would use butter) 1 cup sugar 1 egg 2 1/2 cup flour 1 tsp. baking powder 2 tbs. orange juice 1 tsp. vanilla   Cream butter, sugar, egg unti light and fluffy. Beat in flour, baking powder, oj, and vanilla until smooth.  Chill dough 2-3 hours. Preheat oven to 400.Roll out dough 1/2 at a time on floured surface 1/2" thich.  Cut with cookie cutters.  Please on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake near oven center 6-10 minutes or till light brown on edges. Cool on rack.  Frost after.    OR DECORATE BEFORE BAKING.  MAKES ABOUT 6 DOZEN.    
Santiago

Postby Moki » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:48 am

Poppet! replied to post #2: 3 yeah, I figured that! Encourage people to answer in the answer slots rather than the DBs so that the Mturkeys don't get a chance to do that to you! 59 months ago
Moki

Postby Favian » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Gosh, I haven't made them since I was a kid, using my mom's old Betty Crocker cook book! They were yummy back then! I am interested, though, in those bizarre Wikipedia articles on butter cookies, though! I've never seen a truly bizarre butter cookie!
Favian

Postby Hiamovi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 pm

I have a few that I use every year, sometimes during the year LOL..  These are my three favorites, Enjoy!   Butter Cookies Ingredients 3/4 pound(3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 6 large egg yolks 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour 3/4 teaspoon salt Assorted sprinkles Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Cream the mixture until it is smooth and fluffy. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time, mixing in between each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat for 1 minute and add the vanilla. Combine the flour and the salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until it is fully incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the batter is thick and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle. Lightly flour a flat surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into the desired shapes. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Place the cookies on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool completely in the pan. Remove the cookies from the pan using a spatula. Repeat the process until all the dough is used. Frost each cookie and garnish with sprinkles. BUTTERCREAM FROSTING Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999 4 ounces cream cheese, softened 1/2 stick of butter, softened 3/4 pound(about 3 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2 to 3 tablespoons milk Red, blue, green and yellow food coloring In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the cheese and butter. Add the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the vanilla and milk and mix well. Add a couple of drops of food coloring and mix well. Yield: about 1 1/2 to 2 cups frosting   Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies Ingredients 1(8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature 1 stick butter, at room temperature 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1(18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix Confectioners' sugar, for dusting Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.    Thumbprint Butter Cookies Ingredients 8 ounces(2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature 2/3 cup sugar 1/4 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, soft insides scraped out 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/4 cup apricot, raspberry, or another jam of your choice Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking sheet. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment(or using a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the vanilla scrapings and salt and mix until incorporated. Add the flour and mix at low speed until incorporated. Using your hands, roll the dough into golf-ball-sized balls and arrange them 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet, flattening them out a bit as you go. Using your thumb, press the top of each cookie to make a shallow well. Roll your thumb back and forth to widen the well. Using a small spoon, fill the wells with jam. Bake until very lightly browned around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on the pan. Store in an airtight container. Sources: A.K's Kitchen ArabianKnightress 59 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Hiamovi

Postby erwyn » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:37 am

Mamasunotheremuch replied to post #1: 2 LOL. That was more a commentary on the fact that lately, I've gotten answers to questions that are 2 years old and older. The answers are just random articles or points that have nothing to do with the question. 59 months ago
erwyn

Next

Return to Weight Loss Recipes