Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Do You Still Buy Cds Or Do You Just Download The Songs You Want?

Postby tito96 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:18 pm

If you were going to download all of the songs, is it cheaper to buy the whole CD rather than download? I was thinking that I would still want the CD to listen to in the car, but mostly I would just plop songs onto the iPod, especially since I now have the iPod that I wanted. I could always burn a disc myself. What about you?
tito96

Postby Gaarwine » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 pm

I buy the CD, then pull off the songs I like and burn my own custom CD to play in the car. The only downloads I ever get are the free ones I get from Amazon from when I buy a CD - then I buy a "one-hit-wonder" song and it becomes part of the car CDs, plus I periodically will make a master of all the ones I've downloaded in case something happens that I lose the tunes. I much prefer the albums - as in vinyl - since CDs sound kind of sterile and antiseptic, but its kind of hard to play an album in the car while driving! I'm glad the young kids today are rediscovering the great sound of vinyl LPs - its kind of a novelty to them, but they're re-discovering how great a song can really sound.
Gaarwine

Postby Wycliff » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:08 am

Music I haven't bought a CD in the longest time. I download all of my music on a music system called Ares then I put the songs onto my Ipod. It's a lot easier to buy CD's because then you don't have to worry about viruses from downloading songs but then there would really be no point of an Ipod. nicole8 51 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Wycliff

Postby Aldo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 am

OldHippieHatesNewAV said: 4 I buy the CD, then pull off the songs I like and burn my own custom CD to play in the car. The only downloads I ever get are the free ones I get from Amazon from when I buy a CD - then I buy a "one-hit-wonder" song and it becomes part of the car CDs, plus I periodically will make a master of all the ones I've downloaded in case something happens that I lose the tunes. I much prefer the albums - as in vinyl - since CDs sound kind of sterile and antiseptic, but its kind of hard to play an album in the car while driving! I'm glad the young kids today are rediscovering the great sound of vinyl LPs - its kind of a novelty to them, but they're re-discovering how great a song can really sound. 51 months ago
Aldo

Postby Ceannfhionn » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:05 am

YoBob said: 2 Yep, not only do I buy CDs, I am quite happy to see the trend towards the return to vinyl.The record companies really screwed themselves when they began thinking that they were selling content rather than product. The music is only a small part of why one would own an album(or CD). With the actual product you get a physical item to add to your collection that includes the artwork, liner notes, inserts, etc...The music industry needs to pull it's collective head out of it's @$$ and return to the realization that without the artists there would be no fresh content and the selling of the media as a product is(or should be) a symbiotic relationship. 51 months ago
Ceannfhionn

Postby Leopold » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Neither. I rarely buy CD's because I rarely hear music anymore that I actually want to hear again. Instead, I listen to either the Verizon FiOS TV music channels("Music Choice") or, while here at my computer, listen to somafm.com, which has 12-16 channels of music("Space Station Soma" is my usual preference.) I am intrigued at the change; 30 years ago, lots of music was crucial to my emotional well-being. Now, I can leave it more easily than take it. Heck, I've even written a praise song and learned how to play it on the piano(only because my back and fingers won't let me play it on the electric bass.)  danielpauldavis 51 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Leopold

Postby Mikio » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:21 pm

I rarely buy CD's because I rarely hear music anymore that I actually want to hear again. Instead, I listen to either the Verizon FiOS TV music channels("Music Choice") or, while here at my computer, listen to somafm.com, which has 12-16 channels of music("Space Station Soma" is my usual preference.) I am intrigued at the change; 30 years ago, lots of music was crucial to my emotional well-being. Now, I can leave it more easily than take it. Heck, I've even written a praise song and learned how to play it on the piano(only because my back and fingers won't let me play it on the electric bass.) 
Mikio

Postby Gilmat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:17 pm

IchtheosaurusRex said: 3 I have never downloaded a song, legally or otherwise. I buy my music on CDs and rip them to MP3 using open source tools. I do use iTunes(of necessity) to manage my iPod, but I don't buy or rip music through it.Call me old fashioned, but not that old fashioned. I recall when the way you bought music was on 45 RPM singles. Albums, such that they were then, were just collections of singles(and their flip sides). Then the 60's came along, and people started thinking of an album as a unit rather than just a collection of all the stuff the artist had on the air in the last 6 or 8 months.It seems like we've come full circle for that. 99¢ to get one song? At least you got a flip side on a 45. I like my music in album form. Besides, a CD will last forever. A download will last until your next hard drive crash. 51 months ago
Gilmat

Postby Blar » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Yep, not only do I buy CDs, I am quite happy to see the trend towards the return to vinyl.The record companies really screwed themselves when they began thinking that they were selling content rather than product. The music is only a small part of why one would own an album(or CD). With the actual product you get a physical item to add to your collection that includes the artwork, liner notes, inserts, etc...The music industry needs to pull it's collective head out of it's @$$ and return to the realization that without the artists there would be no fresh content and the selling of the media as a product is(or should be) a symbiotic relationship.
Blar

Postby shuang92 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 am

I have never downloaded a song, legally or otherwise. I buy my music on CDs and rip them to MP3 using open source tools. I do use iTunes(of necessity) to manage my iPod, but I don't buy or rip music through it.Call me old fashioned, but not that old fashioned. I recall when the way you bought music was on 45 RPM singles. Albums, such that they were then, were just collections of singles(and their flip sides). Then the 60's came along, and people started thinking of an album as a unit rather than just a collection of all the stuff the artist had on the air in the last 6 or 8 months.It seems like we've come full circle for that. 99¢ to get one song? At least you got a flip side on a 45. I like my music in album form. Besides, a CD will last forever. A download will last until your next hard drive crash.
shuang92

Next

Return to Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle