Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Do I suffer from anorexia?

Postby ashby29 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:17 pm

I am a 20 year old student who has been dealing with depression for over a year. I don't eat very much due to never feeling hungry. I feel like I'm becoming progressively worse when it comes to my eating habits (from not feeling hungry to disliking many foods and finding it difficult to swallow and consume).

I am about 5'3", have peaked to 120 pounds at some point in my freshman year of college, I generally average between 110-115 pounds in weight (ever since I was 12 I weighed in this range), and recently I've dropped to an all time low of 104-106 pounds. If I had to estimate the calories I ate per day, I'd say it would be on average around 1k calories per day, but I don't accurately keep track. I am terribly inactive, and I do have a low self esteem / poor body image ever since a young age, but I'm not intentionally dieting or trying to lose weight. I'm aware that I am rather thin right now and certainly not overweight by any means. I just don't / can't seem to eat normally anymore.

I spoke to my therapist about all of this recently (who I see for my depression), and she is inclined to think I am anorexic (though apparently not a bad case of anorexia). I've always had a feeling I had SOME sort of eating disorder, but when I look up symptoms on anorexia, I feel like those symptoms don't fit me (I'm not striving to be as thin as possible, but I admit I do like to be thin and not overweight). Also, I started taking antidepressants, Lexapro, two weeks ago, and I felt EXTREMELY hungry for a few days after starting it (hadn't felt that kind of hunger in probably a year or so). Now, I'm back in to my old feeling of no hunger again.
ashby29

Postby ulrich » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:22 pm

I'd say you might be suffering from anorexia as a symptom. Due to your depression. Decreased appetite is a common symptom of depression and most certainly happening to you as you've had depression for so long.

Lexapro is an antidepressant, such medications tend to have a loss of appetite as a side effect. You should talk to your therapist about it, I definitely think that is mostly causing your loss of appetite.

As for feeling thin, every one likes feeling thin. Think about it, it is an instinct attraction for us to be attracted to thin and having thin bodies. Because overweight isn't instantly seen as "attractive", right?

My opinion is that your therapist is exaggerating a bit too much in stating you're suffering from anorexia nervosa. Which is a completely obsessive illness. As I read, I can tell you're not obsessive. To me it clearly seems that your loss of appetite is being caused by your medication and depression.

Perhaps prozac would be a better alternative for you, since it can help stimulate the appetite and is also an antidepressant.

I hope you consult well with you therapist. Lately illnesses like anorexia nervosa, and bipolar disorder are being overdiagnosed.
ulrich

Postby seadon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:26 pm

it sounds like EDNOS. your weight isn't low enough for you to be diagnosed with anorexia (it needs to be under 85% of your lowest healthy weight), but you have some of the symptoms
seadon

Postby wynton » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:43 pm

i've known girls that just lose their appetite as a side effect of depression...before she was diagnosed my best friend used to go like days without eating. no clue whether that could apply to you but maybe look into it?
wynton

Postby baldric » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:45 pm

You most likely don't have anorexia, but you should really watch your weight. I am 15 and I weigh110 and I'm like 5'2''
baldric

Postby wulfcot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:53 pm

its possible
wulfcot

Postby kit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:05 pm

I think you do
kit

Return to Body Image and Self Esteem