Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Nadav » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 am

Emetophobia is an intense, irrational fear or anxiety pertaining to vomiting. This specific phobia can also include subcategories of what causes the anxiety, including a fear of vomiting in public, a fear of seeing vomit, a fear of watching the action of vomiting or fear of being nauseated.

I have been living with these fears daily for years. I wake up hoping im not feeling sick. I constantly confuse extreme hunger with feeling sick and i have trouble eating because of it. I have lots of anxiety mainly related to the subject. If i see someone sick or hear someone sick or even know that someone is feeling sick i automatically feel sick too and start panicking. I worry about my stomach too much. I eat until im satisfied, never completely full. Im also diagnosed with sugar problems which make me more nervous. I had gastritis once and i was also diagnosed with panic attacks, but not too severe.

No one currently knows about my fear. I'm going to a psychologist but she doesn't know it either. They thought it was anorexia since i stopped eating in summer.

When i was a kid I remember running away and crying hysterically when i saw someone sick near me. Now i get my headphones, start listening to music as loud as possible, go as far as i can, take deep breaths, start feeling dizzy but manage to stay up since no one sees me because i hide and panic for a while. In the end I feel like crying because of all the tension and scare.

I don't tell anyone because I wasn't and still am not able to say the word "vomit" or "nausea". There is something scary in those words, like if i say it i summon a demon or something. Plus, i feel like it's embarrassing even saying them.

If there is any of my friends or relatives who say they feel sick and wish for me to help them out i'm not able to do so. Instead i run away and hide while feeling like the worst person in the world. I wish they would help me out if i needed it but i'm not able to do the same for them and that makes me feel terrible.

Some people get mad at me because they don't understand what's wrong with me and i'm not able to tell them either. I try writing letters or something but im not able to let anyone read them, i feel embarrassed.

Do you think this could be it and that i should tell someone about it?
Nadav

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Llewelyn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 am

It sounds like it..

Get Help!
Llewelyn

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Gold » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 am

self help books on emetophobia are available from internet bookstores

breathe deep and slow to relax
Gold

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Gardner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 am

You do have it
Gardner

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Davidsone » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 am

You have it and I have it as well and I'm freaking out right now because I felt a little gurgle I just don't let myself be sick (I know do bad) If I hear someone burp or gag I feel sick and I have kept it in before and got told off by whips cross hospital it's annoying having this phobia I just take deep breaths and relax and I have been a meat eater all my life and never was sick from meat so don't worry I've had stomach bug, stress, eating quality streets and other viruses causing me to be sick and once not eat and then be sick you have found someone too twin with ? don't worry if you have s problem private message me on Instagram: Rebecca.coulson

And on Twitter: rebeccaellenxox

Good luck ???? xxx

Rebecca
Davidsone

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Loryn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 am

Yep. You have it. I had the exact same thing when I was little. Then I grew up and discovered alcohol and hangovers! Joking. But as I got older catching a bug seemed easier for some reason and when I was actually sick, it made me think, actually that's not as bad as I last remember it. Plus once you have actually been sick you feel immediate relief. Not nauseous anymore at all. Remember being sick is your bodies natural way of getting rid of things that if nor gotten rid of, can cause serious harm in your body, such as food poisoning for example.

What I suggest is you go see a doctor still. Because what you have is called "association anxiety" because you are afraid of vomit and anything associated with it such as merely feeling sick. Believe it or not, you should be able to get some medication for this which will calm you down.

Second, make sure you always carry a bottle of alcohol gel around with you at all times. Constantly put this on to kill germs and NEVER put your hands in your mouth. Always wash your hands after the toilet. This is to avoid catching a stomach bug.

Thirdly, this may sound a little crazy, but try going vegetarian. Sounds daft but I have been for two years (for ethical reasons) and I haven't been sick once. I think it's because I abstain from meat in my diet. Most food poisoning comes from undercooked or contaminated meat. As for other foods always wash them well. Just last week my boyfriend got food poisoning from a burger and was sick violently. Plus meat is hard to digest and heavy on the stomach. Yuck! Just saying it works for me.

Good luck!
Loryn

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Tavion » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:20 am

What Causes Emetophobia
Tavion

Do I Have Emetophobia?

Postby Blayne » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:22 am

you don't say where you live, or how old you are (and I'm not asking!) in the UK, I would advise you to see your doctor, and see if you can get some sort of counselling for it. Serious phobias absolutely deserve to be treated seriously. I have no experience of emetophobia, so I can't help. If it is a serious phobia, it deserves to be given more attention than any one person's answer in Y!A can give you... ... a good attentive counsellor will know how to deal with this, will be able to tell you what your alternatives are, and work with you to help you as far as you are able to go. I wish you all the best... Emma
Blayne

Return to Eat to Live