Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Do American Christians Love Money And Possessions More Than God?

Postby Kohana » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 pm

I have met many American Christians who say they love God and their neighbors. But I have yet to meet an American Christian who was willing to sell their unnecessary lifeless possessions and give to the poor as taught, practiced and commanded many times in many ways by Jesus Christ and His Apostles.

Thousands of innocent children all over the developing world suffer and die each and every day from starvation and diseases of extreme poverty. Meanwhile, millions of American Christians are indulging in luxury autos, swimming pools, jewelry and all kinds of electronic marvels. Therefore, the only conclusion I can draw from this is that most American Christians love lifeless possessions more than the sanctity of God's living, breathing and "unjustly suffering" image.

Since Atheists would rather give their money to the poor than to a wealthy prosperity preacher, I would prefer if Atheists answered this question.
Kohana

Postby Keller » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Greed exists everywhere, but it's hard to not look on in disgusted awe at megachurches and the filth people like Joel Osteen spread.
Keller

Postby Padraic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 pm

We are rare who do, it is true. And in my case, God took my possessions (but I asked HIm to do His will). Now, I am still considered "poor" by income standards here though very weathly by the rest of the world's.

This is why:

(NIV Matt 19:23) "Then Jesus said to his disciples, ?Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.?

In America "the poor" is a catagory that often contains rich people by the rest of the world's standard the same as what seems to be Rich here is also poverty. We who are not "rich" by USA standards are so put down that often we do not realize how rich we are. Its a hard balancing act in a world with little "balance."
Padraic

Postby breanainn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:28 pm

First, what is an American Christian?

Most who call themselves "Christian" know that Jesus was born of Mary via a virgin birth.

Are they letting Jesus into their hearts? Some are.
Many are limiting how much they want to let him in.

I am not perfect.
But, the more I let Jesus in, the more change I see in myself and in my actions.

I think that most Christians are like the church of Laodecia in chapter three of the book of Revelation.

Lukewarm Christians think everything is OK because they have no physical needs but as the Bible states:

Rev 3:14 ?To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God?s creation.

Rev 3:15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!

Rev 3:16 So, because you are lukewarm?neither hot nor cold?I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Rev 3:17 You say, ?I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.? But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

Rev 3:18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
NIV

May all follow Jesus with all of our heart, mind, soul, and strength and treat others as we would wish to be treated.

Seek Jesus.

God Bless
breanainn

Postby Eadmund » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Odd.
You seem to be hanging onto your unnecessary lifeless computer.
Isn't it about time you sold it and gave the money to starving children somewhere?

Wow, you are so bad off that you live at a homeless shelter and spend your time trolling on YA? Anyone here actually believe that? I suspect that if that were the case, you would have mentioned it before now.

In any event, I'm sure that you will gladly show us where it is written that Jesus said we must sell the tools by which we serve God and give the money to you.
And while you are at it, read John 12:1-8.
You might see yourself in there.
Eadmund

Postby Styrr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:35 pm

The god of this world , and the desires of our flesh , yes money is way more important to the world than our Creator is , and the more we stray from God into the hands of the evil one , the more we are convinced that money will solve our problems. The religion of atheistic evolution , is really just people who hate their Creator , it is not like they claim , science , because the truth is science Screams a Intelligent Designer.
Styrr

Postby cunningham » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:38 pm

"Atheists would rather give their money to the poor?" As a former atheist and member of a family of atheists I've yet to see any signs of this statement.
However, I do know many Christians who give sacrificially of their time and resources as well as those involved in charities and urban missions and foreign missions.

Nevertheless, you are right in believing that many "western" Christians, not only Americans, do love money and possessions and possibly to the extent that they are more important than God. Wealth is a challenge for Christians because it is not a sin to be wealthy or to enjoy the comfortable life God has provided but it is a sin to value anything more than God and that is a question that each person has to search their own heart to discover.

Jesus said that it was harder for a rich man to enter heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle - but fortunately, nothing is impossible for God.
Therefore, a heart that is passionate about God and filled with faith and the love of Jesus is the necessary requirement for Salvation. Accordingly, works which includes giving everything to the poor will not pave the way to Heaven but the book of James tells us that Faith without works is dead. This means that the state of our heart is revealed in what we do with our time, money and resources. We don't have to live like the poor to be a good Christian but we do have to use our resources wisely and accountably to God.
cunningham

Postby Ayawamat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:39 pm

I love me sum fine bitchez
Ayawamat

Postby Arden » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 pm

You cannot say "American Christians" and make any point of your own, because there are 175,000,000 of us and you do not know anything about 174,999,800 of us.

You are able to draw NO conclusions at all, because you have not examined anything other than your own opinions.

When you get to know, extremely well and in detail, 750,000 of us, then you may speak, and not before.
Arden

Postby Drywsone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:59 pm

I don't subscribe to any one religion.

I do believe in God.

And to answer your question, all sorts of people elevate money to a position of prominence in their lives.

The sin of money, the evil of it, is not what it can or cannot do. God doesn't need money.

The love of money, the love shown towards money is the greatest evil of all. That is, because by elevating money over others, human life becomes cheap.

And many churches, particularly the one in Rome, sometimes they elevate money above humanity. Ask yourself why so much gold and silver, and wealth is compiled there and not distributed to the throngs, the writhing mass of hungry people. The answer is that churches give the masses just enough to survive for a day; but rarely do they give the masses the opportunities to survive for a lifetime.

The creation of misery means business and business means wealth. Churches capitalize on misery for wealth; so do drug companies. One seizes the torment of your soul for profit, and the drug companies seize on the torment of your body. Both have the same goal. More money, more control, and therefore more power to make more money and control wealth.

They aren't the only ones. There are other industries like the energy and food sectors that do the same thing.

Its a shame, really. How much money does Carlos Slim really need? Warren Buffet? Bill Gates? I know they have given chunks of their vast fortunes to charity. My questions are illustrative only. They point to a glaring fact that greed seems to permeate all human things.
Drywsone

Next

Return to Slimming World