Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Diet Soda

Diet Soda

Postby Ancil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:09 am

I have a frequent urination problem and I am only 37.  I went to a Urologist and after several test his conclusion was not an enlarged prostate, rather diet soda was the culprit.  I cannot find any research in this area to make me feel comfortable with the diagnosis.  Dr., is this a reasonable diagnosis? Thank You.
Ancil

Diet Soda

Postby Bliss » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 am

Ryan, there are many causes for urinary frequency.  The common ones include urinary tract infections, excessive fluid consumption(especially coffee, tea and beer which produce an additive diuretic effect), prostate conditions in men(ie benign or cancerous enlargement, prostatitis, prostatic congestion which is most often due to infrequent ejaculation, etc.), diabetes, urinary stones, a variety of kidney disorders associated with inability to concentrate the urine properly, urinary stones, several types of urinary bladder diseases(ie neuropathic bladder, stones, interstitial cystitis, etc.), overactive bladder syndrome and anxiety.   There are many reports that foods(including soda) that contain the artificial sweeteners such as Aspartane and Splenda may increase the frequency of urination.  However, these are for the most part anecdotal reports and I am unaware of any double blind study that conclusively demonstrates this.  If this is true side effect of these agents, the cause and effect can easily be demonstrated in a given individual by stopping the product(in your case diet coke) for a month or so and substituting another non-diet liquid in its place.  At present, there is no definitive answer to your question at present.

Some individuals develop frequency induced by chemical residues from soaps and detergents in the bath water  that may wash up into the bladder and urethra causing inflammation. Therefore, if you are a bath person, discontinue this practice immediately and take only showers.    Kidney stones that get lodged in the lower ureter can often have this effect(frequency).  Although typically they cause severe pain and blood in the urine, sometimes they only cause severe frequency until passed.  Inflammatory or other masses in the pelvis can rest on the bladder and produce the constant urge to void.  There are unusual local conditions such as urethral diverticulae that can become inflamed and cause severe frequency.  Because frequency has so many etiologies, the patient is best seen by a urologist.  Basic evaluation would include a history, physical examination, urinalysis and, if indicated, a urine culture.  Other tests that might be needed to find the cause include imaging of the kidneys, cystoscopy and urodynamic studies.  

Your doctor may or may not be correct about the effect of diet soda.  Eventually the data will become available.  Good luck.
Bliss

Return to South Beach Diet