Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Diarrhea, Weight Loss In Cat?

Surgery to help lose weight

Postby Treves » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:28 pm

i have an 8 year old male white cat.
Normal weight for him is about 16 lbs. Starting about October he began losing weight and having diarrhea. I ended up taking him to the vet and he had blood work done. It showed an extremely elevated white blood cell count. But no evidence of cancer, Leukemia or Diabetes. He was put on antibiotics for 2 weeks with really no improvement. I can't afford to take him back to the vet right now but I feel so sad for him. I don't want to give up on him. Some how he just manages to keep going, like he has such a will to live. he only weighs about 7 lbs now. I don't know what could be wrong with him. i have been feeding him purina one for sensitive stomachs and giving him Pedialyte.

Any suggestions? Thank You
Treves

Postby Brett » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:30 pm

First, stay optimistic. Many things that go wrong with cats that seem like "old age" are actually things that can be treated, or at least symptoms treated, and they can continue to live happy long lives. The dilated pupils could be hypertension. Peeing outside the box can be diabetes or kidney disease. These have many symptoms in common, but hypertension is common in cats with kidney problems. Same with the weight loss. Either way, he does need to get into a vet and get some blood work and urinalysis done so that the vet can tell what thing it is. Not all vets can check for high blood pressure. You might want to call ahead on that one, in case it's one of the kind that needs recharged (and rarely gets used), or you might have to go elsewhere to get that checked. Yahoo!Groups has groups for all this stuff, so whatever the diagnoses, join one or more of these groups to get some help from experienced people. It may not be near as bad as it seems, but you do need to get help.
Brett

Postby torre » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:37 pm

try taking him to your local humane society if you cant afford a vet, they will usually see your cat for a lower cost and on a payment plan, weight loss and diarrhea are no good for cats, you could also see if he will take some whole milk or soft food, the extra calories might help him gain weight but he could have a urinary tract problem, a lot of male cats get that
torre

Postby VolIny » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Check out this site. They offer a free E-book on weight loss that might be able to help you.
VolIny

Postby Picford » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:40 pm

alternate between cat pose cow pose and downward dog 13 times holding each for 30 seconds
Picford

Postby anwar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:45 pm

If he is still eating and drinking normally and yet continues to lose weight then I'd be highly suspicious of cancer, or hyperthyroid disease.
Cancer can sometimes be indicated by a high calcium level on the bloodwork, but often there is no way of screening for cancer with a blood test.
So really, it can't be ruled out based on bloodwork alone.
And unless your Vet added a thyroid test to his bloodwork, that hasn't been ruled out either.

The extreme wt loss your cat has gone through is very bad for his liver - and may actually cause liver damage.
If he appears jaundiced (yellow pads, eyes or gums) then he's in serious need of medical attention.

At this point, your Vet is not going to be able to tell you much without seeing him again, running more bloodwork and doing an x-ray.
I would have consulted him after running the course of antibiotics, but that's not the issue at this point.
Find a way to have him seen soon by a Vet, that's really all you can do for him.
It's not fair to let him waste away at home.
anwar

Postby videl97 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm

wow.
he's ill if he lost that much weight.
something is going on for sure.
i never heard giving a cat pedialyte.
did the vet say that was ok? is that sugar water? maybe that is hurting him, but i'm not sure about that.
if he's eating, and still loosing weight, you may loose him soon.
i'd call the vet again and see about setting up a payment plan with them, as you should take him in.
good luck.
sorry you are going through this.
videl97

Postby Jedediah » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm sorry to here about your cat. I would call the vet or another vet to get advise over the phone. Tell them that you called because you can't afford a visit right now. Maybe they might have some advise that they are willing to share. My question is if your cat goes outside or not. If someone is using rat poison on the premises to kill off the rats and your cat ate it this could be the cause. I've heard that some rat poisons dehydrate the rat to the point that it dyes which can explain the weight loss. This is just a possibility. Did your vet check your cat for poisoning ? Hope your cat gets well soon.
Jedediah

Postby Erl » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Some causes of diarrhea:

Tap Water- chlorine in tap water kills bacteria in the GI tract. Standing water can contain any number of pathogens, some more toxic than others. (Best to use glass or stainless steal bowls.)- This will also help stop cat acne(black dirt like under cats chin)

Food- Both dry and wet become breeding grounds for pathogens. The many recalls of pet food are just more proof of the low quality in commercial pet foods.

(When you can afford it change over to EVO) http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp

Kitty Litter has actually had a trace to diarrhea. Don't buy cheap litter.

(Use Feline Pine)

Litter selection is one of the largest health issues for cats and cat owners. All clay and clumping clay cat litters are made from bentonite clay, a non-biodegradable substance that requires environment-damaging strip mining to acquire. The health issue involves the silica dust produced by this substance. Have you ever noticed the large cloud of dust that is produced when you pour a bag of clay litter into the litter box? Most people don?t think this poses a threat, but in actuality silica is listed as a carcinogen!

When cats clean themselves, they ingest particles of litter that have stuck to their paws. Because clay is non-biodegradable, it can build up in the digestive system of a cat, and cause obstruction as severe as complete blockage. Veterinarians also recommend avoiding clay litter after feline surgery, as the litter can infect the wound.

Veterinarians recommend the use of litters such as Feline Pine® to avoid these negative health issues. Feline Pine® is 100% natural, biodegradable pine that has been heated and pressurized to remove any harmful wood oils. It is not only silica dust free, but is proven to have the least dust, in general! The size of the pellets decreases the chance of feline ingestion, and has absolutely no unhealthy contents or qualities. Feline Pine is even recommended for post-surgical recovery.

Pesticides/Household Cleaners Both have toxic fumes and leave potent residues that cats ingest when licking their paws.

Call the vet and ask what non toxic cleaners you can use to clean the litter box and food dish.

Also make sure your cat isnt eating a house plant or eating grass that has been chemicly treated.

My only other suggestions is:

Plantaeris for Cat Diarrhea

Effective natural treatment for cat diarrhea

Stops diarrhea and dehydration

Works quickly yet gently

All-natural, no harsh chemicals

Regulates cat?s intestinal functions

Boosts immune system

Pleasant taste your cat will like

1 bottle is a 3+ month supply for most cats http://www.petwellbeing.com/cat-diarrhea...

(A bit exspensive though- $39-)

24 HOUR FAST. Stop putting food into your pet for 24 hours (Day 1). This allows the intestines to rest and regenerate. Always have access to plenty of fresh water. After 24 hours, introduce a bland food for the next 24 hours (Day 2).A plain diet: For cats, protein is essential, try cooked chicken breast with the rice. After a day of the bland food mix 1/2 regular diet and 1/2 bland diet (Day 3). By the end of Day 3, they should be back on their normal diet.

ALSO: Do not feed cats milk or anything that has Lactose in it. Most cats are Lactose intolerante.
Erl

Postby Therron » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:58 pm

You have no choice but to take him back to the vet. If you love him that much, you'll find the money - borrow it off someone, sell your computer.

High WBC indicates infection, so a course of antibiotics is the obvious way to go. As the vets haven't heard from you, they'll assume all is well. You need to ring them back and tell them there's still a problem - you should have told them this when he didn't get better on the antibiotics!

He's lost over half his bodyweight by now. If that isn't enough to get you to take him back to the vet, I can't imagine what would be. But I can promise you right now, there's nothing you can do for him at home beyond what you are doing, and there's no life-saving suggestion anyone can make over the internet. You better get him back to a vet. Medical problems in animals are just as expensive to deal with as they are with humans, I'm afraid there's no getting around it.

Chalice
Therron

Next

Return to Surgical Weight Loss