Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Are You Sensitive To The Medications You Have To Take Daily? By That I Mean, Do You Get The Side Effects From Them?

Discuss Lap Band Surgery

Are You Sensitive To The Medications You Have To Take Daily? By That I Mean, Do You Get The Side Effects From Them?

Postby Heathdene » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Do you have a 'high threshold' to pain? Do you have a 'high tolerance' to medication, meaning it takes a stronger dosage for you than it would someone else your size and build? Do you have a hard time convincing your doctors of this?If you were on something that you were told you have to take and yet it gave you really bad side effects, plus you have gone through the 'gambit' of trying all the other similar ones, Would you stop taking the medication and take your chances being without it?For example, I am on seizure medication and this is the 4th one they have put me on over the last several years and I have had a reaction to each one! This last one I am on currently, As of Today they are going to lower the daily dosage to see if that will work. IF it doesn't, then I am going to just take my chances without. I have gone for 6 months now on this and been in agony mentally, emotionally, and even physically to the point I thought I was having a nervous breakdown and more! Cont db
Heathdene

Postby Arman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:59 am

I risk kidney failure if I take the stuff to keep my arthritis from hurting so I weaned myself off it and am trying physical activity to balance it. I am also learning to live with more pain than I ever thought I could.My son has multiple side-effects from his meds including extreme weight-gain which means he is at risk for diabetes. Unfortunately, without his meds he is liable to commit suicide. In his case we do our best to keep the doses as low as possible. We also are trying counseling and talk therapy of various sorts but that will not be successful unless he chooses to make it successful. Some folks with his problems choose to wean themselves off the meds entirely, but the successful attempts are few and far between. In his case, as his mother, I prefer the weight and risk of diabetes to the violence he displays without the meds. When he is an adult that will be his choice to make.The question becomes is the side effect worse than the problem you are treating? If yes, then stop or reduce the meds. If no, then see how far you can reduce the meds and still function. In the case of seizure disorders such as yours, what is the worst case scenario if you have a seizure? Will you have to give up your driver's license? Could a seizure kill or permanently impair you? Will the risk of seizure mean you can no longer work or do a hobby? Will a risk of seizure make you home-bound where you weren't before?Also, are there any other treatments available at all for your problem, such as neurosurgery? Are they more or less risky in your estimation? For example, my mother has Parkinson's Disease that is not well controlled with medication. However, she does NOT want to have the electronic device installed into her brain that has shown to work when medication does not. To her the invasiveness of the procedure plus it's potential risks are a greater problem than the hassle of the pills not working well.The decision is yours to make in that the doctors can't force you to take the meds, but make sure you cover all the ramifications if you don't take them.Good luck!
Arman

Postby Joyanna » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:02 am

I know how you feel.  I have gotten so frustrated  that I could scream.  After 5 years the doctor now knows what combinations work. (New drug)  I've had various types of side effects, and when they affect me, I put the names in my wallet, so I'm not given that in case of an emergency.  Also, have a list of meds that work for me.   Some meds that I was given recently from a brain injury caused. The meds had  created hallucinations, short term memory became worse, fainting, and loss of balance.  Sometimes lowering the dosage helps, but you should get blood tests.  One of my medications causes toxicity and has to be monitored through blood tests. In addition, in  your case as well as mine, lowering or raising the  dosage can make a difference.  Hang in there!  There is always new meds that have come out in the market.  
Joyanna

Postby Birkit » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 am

Sensitive I know how you feel.  I have gotten so frustrated  that I could scream.  After 5 years the doctor now knows what combinations work. (New drug)  I've had various types of side effects, and when they affect me, I put the names in my wallet, so I'm not given that in case of an emergency.  Also, have a list of meds that work for me.   Some meds that I was given recently from a brain injury caused. The meds had  created hallucinations, short term memory became worse, fainting, and loss of balance.  Sometimes lowering the dosage helps, but you should get blood tests.  One of my medications causes toxicity and has to be monitored through blood tests. In addition, in  your case as well as mine, lowering or raising the  dosage can make a difference.  Hang in there!  There is always new meds that have come out in the market.   Snooty 72 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Birkit

Postby Gillivray » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Work with your physician Epilepsy, depression, bipolarity, schizophrenia -- I have quickly learned that the doctors are still trying to figure these things out.  Currently, they can?t predict very well what any individual drug will do for any individual patient.  These leaves them experimenting.   I know people who have gone for years without having it figured out.  Sometimes they get a little better at first, and then they stop benefitting.   One member of my group was so drugged he couldn?t stand up or stay awake.  He tried doctor after doctor, and none of them found a regimen that would work.  Finally, he took himself off all the drugs.  He found a different psychiatrist, and now he?s on drugs that work.  I think.  You can never tell with him.  Sometimes he?s says he doing it on his own.   There?s woman in my group who is epileptic with depression.  She, too had years of trouble, but is doing pretty well now.   I think the first thing you need is to find a good doctor.   That doctor will tryy different drugs, and after a while, you?ll find some that work for you.  It?s an experiment.  Get your doctor to work on it.   Another thing that can help in all this is having a person who can advocate for you.  They might make appointments, and do research, and sometimes tell the doctor what has been going on with you.  It helps if you aren?t necessarily a reliable reporter on your own behavior.    I was manic-depressive, and my wife was getting worried about my behavior.  She asked some friends who were psychologists, and was told to get me to see a shrink as soon as possible.  When they wouldn?t give me an appointment for months, she found someone who could take me.  He diagnosed me in half an hour, based on my history.  But I knew what he would say before hand, because I?d done some research.    He started me on the standard treatment(Lithium) and told me I might start to see an impact in two weeks.  I did, and was slowly improving until I stopped, while still depressed, but not nearly as depressed as I had been.  Eventually he prescribed Welbutrin, which helped, but, again, not enough, so he upped the dose, and now I?m doing ok.    Others in my group, or here on Askville have not been so lucky.  One person said he?d been on every single drug in the books, and none worked.  Others have told similar stories, though not that bad.  It?s a process.  They have tools to help you.  They may not figure out what they are right away.   Side effects are par for the course, I guess.  I?ve got the bipolar shakes.  I can?t hold a fork still, and when I?m trying to drink, if there?s too much in the glass, some will end up outside the glass.  My teeth chatter, as well.  My memory is much worse.  I?m also gaining weight, which is really not good for me.  However, I think it?s all worth it.  I?d be in a gutter somewhere by now, if not dead, if they hadn?t found something to help me.   Zhop 72 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Gillivray

Postby Hahnee » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 pm

I have been extremely tired to the point at times I could fall asleep even standing if I wasn't paying attention, I have had a 'roller coaster' with my emotions, thinking, dealing with family and others so much so I thought about going into a 'mental hospital' and I have never felt like that before! This is way different than just being depressed a little, it was effecting my relationships with everyone I am around. IF you were in this predicament what would you do?
Hahnee

Postby Mochni » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 am

Epilepsy, depression, bipolarity, schizophrenia -- I have quickly learned that the doctors are still trying to figure these things out.  Currently, they can?t predict very well what any individual drug will do for any individual patient.  These leaves them experimenting.   I know people who have gone for years without having it figured out.  Sometimes they get a little better at first, and then they stop benefitting.   One member of my group was so drugged he couldn?t stand up or stay awake.  He tried doctor after doctor, and none of them found a regimen that would work.  Finally, he took himself off all the drugs.  He found a different psychiatrist, and now he?s on drugs that work.  I think.  You can never tell with him.  Sometimes he?s says he doing it on his own.   There?s woman in my group who is epileptic with depression.  She, too had years of trouble, but is doing pretty well now.   I think the first thing you need is to find a good doctor.   That doctor will tryy different drugs, and after a while, you?ll find some that work for you.  It?s an experiment.  Get your doctor to work on it.   Another thing that can help in all this is having a person who can advocate for you.  They might make appointments, and do research, and sometimes tell the doctor what has been going on with you.  It helps if you aren?t necessarily a reliable reporter on your own behavior.    I was manic-depressive, and my wife was getting worried about my behavior.  She asked some friends who were psychologists, and was told to get me to see a shrink as soon as possible.  When they wouldn?t give me an appointment for months, she found someone who could take me.  He diagnosed me in half an hour, based on my history.  But I knew what he would say before hand, because I?d done some research.    He started me on the standard treatment(Lithium) and told me I might start to see an impact in two weeks.  I did, and was slowly improving until I stopped, while still depressed, but not nearly as depressed as I had been.  Eventually he prescribed Welbutrin, which helped, but, again, not enough, so he upped the dose, and now I?m doing ok.    Others in my group, or here on Askville have not been so lucky.  One person said he?d been on every single drug in the books, and none worked.  Others have told similar stories, though not that bad.  It?s a process.  They have tools to help you.  They may not figure out what they are right away.   Side effects are par for the course, I guess.  I?ve got the bipolar shakes.  I can?t hold a fork still, and when I?m trying to drink, if there?s too much in the glass, some will end up outside the glass.  My teeth chatter, as well.  My memory is much worse.  I?m also gaining weight, which is really not good for me.  However, I think it?s all worth it.  I?d be in a gutter somewhere by now, if not dead, if they hadn?t found something to help me.  
Mochni

Postby Sylvester » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:11 am

Lollipop_the_Bunny said: 1 I have been extremely tired to the point at times I could fall asleep even standing if I wasn't paying attention, I have had a 'roller coaster' with my emotions, thinking, dealing with family and others so much so I thought about going into a 'mental hospital' and I have never felt like that before! This is way different than just being depressed a little, it was effecting my relationships with everyone I am around. IF you were in this predicament what would you do? 72 months ago
Sylvester

Postby pay » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:29 pm

darwin? said: 2 I risk kidney failure if I take the stuff to keep my arthritis from hurting so I weaned myself off it and am trying physical activity to balance it. I am also learning to live with more pain than I ever thought I could.My son has multiple side-effects from his meds including extreme weight-gain which means he is at risk for diabetes. Unfortunately, without his meds he is liable to commit suicide. In his case we do our best to keep the doses as low as possible. We also are trying counseling and talk therapy of various sorts but that will not be successful unless he chooses to make it successful. Some folks with his problems choose to wean themselves off the meds entirely, but the successful attempts are few and far between. In his case, as his mother, I prefer the weight and risk of diabetes to the violence he displays without the meds. When he is an adult that will be his choice to make.The question becomes is the side effect worse than the problem you are treating? If yes, then stop or reduce the meds. If no, then see how far you can reduce the meds and still function. In the case of seizure disorders such as yours, what is the worst case scenario if you have a seizure? Will you have to give up your driver's license? Could a seizure kill or permanently impair you? Will the risk of seizure mean you can no longer work or do a hobby? Will a risk of seizure make you home-bound where you weren't before?Also, are there any other treatments available at all for your problem, such as neurosurgery? Are they more or less risky in your estimation? For example, my mother has Parkinson's Disease that is not well controlled with medication. However, she does NOT want to have the electronic device installed into her brain that has shown to work when medication does not. To her the invasiveness of the procedure plus it's potential risks are a greater problem than the hassle of the pills not working well.The decision is yours to make in that the doctors can't force you to take the meds, but make sure you cover all the ramifications if you don't take them.Good luck! 72 months ago
pay

Postby elvin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:01 pm

I take an Mao inhibitor for severe migraine. It has many side effects. Including stroke. If I am not careful with diet restrictions my blood pressure will rise to dangerous levels. The migraine associated with it is debilitating. This is the last drug in a long list that didn't work for me. When I first started this It made me very dizzy. That really wasn't too bad. Then it made me extremely cold. That was bad. It continued for about 4-5 months. Then it slowly stopped. The dizziness continues but not with any regularity. I tried to wean off the nard last year. It was unbearable. I took 3 months to do it. I was in the hospital the 4 month. I will never under any circumstances do it again. That left me with insomnia. Insomnia is not a fun time but migraine is worse.
elvin

Next

Return to Lap Band Surgery