Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

Are These Symptoms Of Depression?

Depression making it hard to lose weight?

Postby Zani » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:17 pm

I think my cousin is having problems, but I don't know if I should approach her.

My auntie tells my mom some things and my mom tells me.. She's 19, very sweet nice girl, but she's suuuper quiet! She's pleasant but when i'm around her she seems kinda distant and sad.

Every time I see her she's either really skinny or chubby, her weight has constantly changed over the years i've known her.. she works as a cleaner, mostly on graveyard shifts cleaning empty buildings.. my mom told me that she apparently stays inside all of the time and is pretty isolated, she sleeps quite a bit too.. I'm worried about her but I don't know how to help.

Is this depression? What's wrong with her? Can I help her somehow?

Thank you!! :)
Zani

Postby Cirilo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm kind of like that, and I get depressed from time to time. Maybe you should talk to her about it. Don't make it a big deal, and don't approach her just to talk to about it. Ease into it in the middle of other conversations.
Cirilo

Postby Biast » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:30 pm

This sounds very much like depression.
It's wonderful of you to want to help her.
Try talking to her the next time you see her.
Make a point to ask her about herself and what she's up to, etc...normal conversational stuff.
Unfortunately, if she doesn't want help if will be hard to get it for her, as she's old enough to do pretty much what she pleases.

If you can get her to talk and so forth, maybe the two of you can hang out occasionally-this would give you a better idea of where she is emotionally.
If you feel she's depressed enough to hurt herself, tell your mom and her mom and urge them to call for help.

Good luck to you and you're an awesome cousin to be so concerned
Biast

Postby Rugby » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:36 pm

It may depression, but it sounds to me like she may have a social disorder. With her constantly being a lone and working the grave yard shift, it tends to develop a habit of being isolated from other people and lack of communication will result in being distant and un sociable. Stay in contact with her and let her know people care. She will come out of that shell in time with support!
Rugby

Return to Depression & Weight Loss