Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!    Latest blog post: Yoga for Weight Loss

Advertisments:

Anyone Know Of An 80's Teen Book About Two Girls, One Is A Brain And The Other Is A Former Fat Girl Turned Beauty.

Anyone Know Of An 80's Teen Book About Two Girls, One Is A Brain And The Other Is A Former Fat Girl Turned Beauty.

Postby barton » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 am

The smart girl's name was Patricia, I think and the formerly fat girl was named Lolly.
barton

Postby Orman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:08 pm

Class Pictures by Marilyn Sachs   Best friends since kindergarten, Pat and Lolly begin to grow apart as they approach high school graduation; PW said, ``This is a story capitalizing on Sachs's ability to combine rugged humor and pathos.''   Pat recalls her friendship with Lolly from the day they met in kindergarten until they graduated from high school.   Class pictures from kindergarten through high school are evoked along the way as a sort of unifying device for Pat's memories of her friendship with Lolly--a fat, blond, timid doctor's daughter and only child who is rejected by the other children but befriended by the stronger, popular Pat. Then in adolescence Lolly becomes pretty and popular with the boys, and feels forced into a mindless female role until she begins to assert herself as an environmental activist. Poor, fatherless Pat, on the other hand, is dateless but smart. She is goaded by Lolly's mother's unstated snobbery to aim for a career as a doctor, and then motivated by an encouraging male teacher and her own interest in science to enter MIT. Sachs' time exposure of personalities and lives in the making is smooth if slick; watching the girls develop has its interest, though Lolly especially is superficially drawn.(Kirkus Reviews, October 1, 1981)   This is a story about friendship and growing up. Any young girl who has had a best friend can relate to this story. I shared this book with my junior-high best friend and she also loved it. I highly recommend this book to any pre-teen or teenage girls.  
Orman

Postby Ronan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:18 pm

"Class Pictures" by Marilyn Sachs Class Pictures by Marilyn Sachs   Best friends since kindergarten, Pat and Lolly begin to grow apart as they approach high school graduation; PW said, ``This is a story capitalizing on Sachs's ability to combine rugged humor and pathos.''   Pat recalls her friendship with Lolly from the day they met in kindergarten until they graduated from high school.   Class pictures from kindergarten through high school are evoked along the way as a sort of unifying device for Pat's memories of her friendship with Lolly--a fat, blond, timid doctor's daughter and only child who is rejected by the other children but befriended by the stronger, popular Pat. Then in adolescence Lolly becomes pretty and popular with the boys, and feels forced into a mindless female role until she begins to assert herself as an environmental activist. Poor, fatherless Pat, on the other hand, is dateless but smart. She is goaded by Lolly's mother's unstated snobbery to aim for a career as a doctor, and then motivated by an encouraging male teacher and her own interest in science to enter MIT. Sachs' time exposure of personalities and lives in the making is smooth if slick; watching the girls develop has its interest, though Lolly especially is superficially drawn.(Kirkus Reviews, October 1, 1981)   This is a story about friendship and growing up. Any young girl who has had a best friend can relate to this story. I shared this book with my junior-high best friend and she also loved it. I highly recommend this book to any pre-teen or teenage girls.   Sources: http://www.amazon.com/Class-Pictures-Marilyn-Sachs/dp/0140346821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257770047&sr=1-1 SallieVern 60 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Ronan

Return to Fat Loss 4 Idiots