Welcome to WeightLossChat.org!   

Advertisments:

5 Month Old Gsd Not Eating, Lieing Down Constantly, Unresponsive, Painful Abdomen?

Learn about Food Nutrition

5 Month Old Gsd Not Eating, Lieing Down Constantly, Unresponsive, Painful Abdomen?

Postby Drem » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:14 pm

I just got a 5 month old male german shepherd.

He was checked by vet, given a rabies vaccine, vet said he was in perfect health. He is 23.5 inches tall and 64 pounds, looked slightly underweight.

Brought him home (two day trip, he was really good, sleeping in car, playing when we let him out etc).

Ate the day we arrived. Had 1 cup of dry food in morning and then through out the day later a slice of apple, and he got three fairly large bones with some meat on them. We found two of them, can't find third anywhere. Did he carry away or swallow?? He also ate my cats food (about 1 cup) by accident. He was playing and responding to all commands, fetching ball etc.

Refused to eat the next day. Still played with the ball that day though. Tried dry food, wet food, chicken meat, rice, peanut butter, apple, yogurt, nothing. Sniffs it and turns away. He is drinking normally. Hasn't eaten in 3 days.

When pressure on stomach, lower back, or sides of rib cage he is in great pain. He lies stretched out on floor, unwilling to move. No longer comes when called. He will get up and go for a walk, but slowly. He passed three or four stools, all looked normal but hasn't passed anything since yesterday morning. He is urinating. No vomiting.

He has an appointment tomorrow at 7 but does anyone know what it could be? We are extremely worried. All of the vets within 500 km are closed till Monday which is insane! He is being flown to another city 1500 km away for diagnosis, xray and possible surgery if it is the bone tomorrow morning.
Drem

Postby Nerth » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Was it a cooked bone or a raw bone? Cooked bones are never safe to give a dog. It sounds like your dog had an awful lot of food the day he came home. Please get him to the E-vet as soon as possible. Obstructions and bloat can kill.
Nerth

Postby Ezri » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Hmm.. I'm no vet but it is possible he is experiencing some blockage. Possibly from the bone? Dogs ingest all sorts of crazy things. Getting him to the vet is the best option, they will be able to give you an educated answer and solution. Just keep a watchful eye on him. If he's still drinking water then that's a good sign. He's young and dogs are very resilient, so I'm sure after some medical attention he will be just fine. Good luck with your pup! I'm glad you care for him so dearly! P.S. cooked bones=BAD/ raw bones= a nice healthy treat
Ezri

Postby Witter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:21 pm

You should not have given him a bone with meat on it!

If he ate the bone, it could be in his stomach still, blocking the exit which is why he hasn't had a bowel movement since yesterday morning.

If it does pass through, it could easily cut the insides of his intestines.

The vet will probably do xrays to see if the bone is still in there.
Witter

Postby Brewster » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Sounds like has bloat, which can be fatal.
If this is what it is, trying rubbing his belly lightly.
DO NOT rub hard or push hard as it will hurt him. Rubbing will (hopefully) make him fart and it'll smell bad, but getting the gas out can relieve some of the pain.
Also make sure he keeps drinking water.
Bring it to him if he can't get to it.

If it's already been 3 days I'd go to the emergency vet right away.
Where do you live? In many places the veterinarians in the area will group up and will take turns responding to emergency situations on the weekends.
I'd type in your town name and "emergency veterinarian" into google and see what comes up.
Brewster

Postby Morfinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Could be bloat or a blockage. I would take him to the emergency vet I would not wait.
Morfinn

Postby Timmy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:37 pm

he more than likely has an obstruction either from the bone or something he picked up that may have been in mouth reach. i do not advise feeding any dog bones at all because of the chance of them splintering in the intestines some are more likely than others but i just dont find it safe in any way. since he is going to the vet tomorrow i would just let him rest the more he moves around the more pain it will cause also if he develops bloat the movement can make his stomach flip. just let him lay around an move only when he wants to.

good luck and fingers crossed that the vet will be able to help him!
Timmy

Postby Captain » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Apple? Why? This is a growing puppy who needs nutrition, not empty sugar calories.
Only one cup of dry kibble for the entire day? Were the bones raw or cooked? If you gave him cooked bones, and one is missing, then he has a gut obstruction.
If the bones were raw, I wouldn't worry because it will be digested.

I think you've set your puppy up for a case of gastritus.
You cannot muck up a puppy's diet with fruit, cooked bones, peanut butter, rice, or any other crap with such poor nutritional value.
Here's how to choose and feed commercial dog food.

Feeding Commercial Dog Food

Choose a high quality food by going to a pet supply or feed store and reading the labels.
Remember ?high five? or ?give me five? as you read.
The first five ingredients should be meats and vegetables and grains (unless your dog is itchy or chews himself, then go to a grain-free food).
The very first ingredient is a meat.
A second meat in the top five is very good.
(Thanks to The Whole Dog Journal.)

Not in the top five ingredients is any by-product, corn, wheat, or soy.
A by-product is usually very low quality, such as chicken by-products are the feet, beak, and feathers.
Not much nutrition there! Corn, wheat, and soy are cheap fillers and not easily metabolized by the dog.

Use the package feeding guidelines to measure the daily amount of food for your dog?s weight.
Divide that measured amount into separate meals.
Puppies up to 10 or 12 weeks need four meals per day.
Older puppies need three meals per day until they are adolescents and stop growing taller.
Then the adult dogs can be fed in two meals per day for life.

At each meal, put the measured amount of food in his dish and add a spoonful or two of warm water to enhance the aroma.
Call the dog over and let him eat.
In fifteen minutes or when he has cleaned the dish, whichever comes first, take up the dish.
He gets no other treats or snacks until the next meal.
Training treats can be pieces of his regular kibble.

This should create a healthy, eager eater.
Captain

Return to Food Nutrition